Vapers with lung problems, I need your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I was wondering if anyone here can help me come up with some good ideas for a new setup for my brother.

He has been smoking 1-2 packs a day for about 20 years, and also used to work a job where he may have been exposed to asbestos. He had a spontaneous lung collapse about 2 years ago and he has been wanting to quit smoking ever since. Last year he bought a setup from vapor 4 life, I don't remember exactly what he got (he had a vv battery with a large capacity tank) but it didn't work out for him.

He said that when he inhales vapor it bothers his lungs, he "can feel it." I finally convinced him that if he gets a different setup with different liquid it can help. I have no idea what liquid he was using before, and neither does he.

My mother may be able to give him some equipment, but we need to figure out what liquid he should be using, and what equipment he should buy in the future.

I have heard people say here that 100% VG is the easiest on their lungs, while others say they prefer high PG because it helps them breathe. I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction here, he really needs to quit smoking and I don't want him to get the wrong liquid and be discouraged from vaping.

He will need a high nicotine level though, that is the only thing I know for certain. And I have a feeling candy/fruity flavors will not be to his liking.

So, vapers with lung problems: What ratio PG/VG liquid do you prefer? What flavors would you recommend/discourage? Is there anything you would recommend equipment-wise, like voltage, resistance, or tank style that would be best in this case?

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others who have lung issues re the details you asked about.

IMO, inhaling anything directly into compromised lungs would seem to be an irritation....what about his working on just taking the vapor into his mouth and exhaling through the nostrils? Just a thought....good luck!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Don't advise on High Nic like that. We have no Idea what will satisfy any given individuals need.

Very common starting points are 18mg and 24mg and most people adjust from these quickly. Almost everyone I know is vaping 12mg or less with me at 3mg.
I smoked 1.5-2 PAD for over 45 yrs.

Don't know what will work for your brother, but I can say his lungs will likely need time to adapt no matter what mixture he tries.
Vaping is NOT Smoking and it hits the Lungs differently.
I vape a 50pg/50vg mix now and DIY all my own liquids. Still, even at a balanced mix I sometimes get a Heavy lung feel even with mixes that normally do not effect me.

Best of luck on your quest to help your brother.

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
Nothing wrong with high nic. In a situation for someone who has tried vaping before and wasn't satisfied with it. With unflavored you can adjust the strength with a simple addition of PG or VG. I vaped 32 to 36 mg for four plus years. Just this year as I approahch my fifth year anniversary have I cut back. And only because my delivery system chaged and I'm burning through liquid so quickly.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Maybe you could try some unflavored in 100% VG and then the other in 100% PG. High nic. Maybe 32 - 36 mg. He may be ok with unflavored to start out with.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as a put down, but why would one swing from one extreme to another? There are those here that have experienced undesirable effects both ways. Go slow to find the 'sweet spot'.

Start out 'bout 50/50 and try some 24mg nic as a starting point. Then take 20% steps in either PG/VG 'direction' (ratio) and six mg steps with the nic in the 'experiment'.

As for lowering nic levels after establishing a sustaining/satisfactory nic level, I suggest 3mg increments. One can always go back to what they vaped previously if the lower level doesn't work out.

Best o' luck to the OP and especially his brother!
thumbsup.gif

Tracey1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2009
Tampa, Fl
It states in the OP that her brother needs high nic. She also stated that her brother vaped liquid of unknown pg/vg ratio that made him feel uncomfortable. Having a bottle of PG free as well as VG free would help to discern which of the two may be the culprit of his discomfort. Mixing of the two is not out of the question. Just an easier way to find the mix that works best for an individual.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It turns out my mom was already one step ahead of me and ordered two of the same flavor, one all VG and the other the highest PG they had, to see the difference :) idk what flavor or from what vendor though. She said she could have him try those.

I think he'll do fine at 24 mg, but I want him to have a real good ADV so he's less inclined to smoke. I know that some experimentation is necessary, but I could see him being turned off from having to try several different ratios to find the right one just to be able to vape at all. That's why I posted here - I'm hoping someone else who has lung issues can give me a better idea of what to shoot for.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I have chronic bronchitis and asthma and have found 50/50 to work well for me. With your mom having purchased the flavor in 100%pg and vg you'll be able to cut it to whatever ratio you wish. Half and Half will give you 50/50. 1/3 to 2/3 gives you approximately 30%/70%. I find that too much vg gives me a heavy feeling in my lungs but this may or may not be the case for your brother. Let us know how things go with the 100% so we can try and help you find something that works. Best of luck!

Ps. I couldn't do 100% pg because I started having an allergic reaction to it. As mentioned I use 50/50 and it's worked best for me.

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
I smoked 2 packs a day and did not start off with high nic. I actually do not agree with that at all. Vaping is to help you quit smoking and then you eventually quit vaping. I started out with 18mg and quickly dropped to 12mg. My stores didn't even offer 34mg nic that is crazy. If he has lung problems he needs to be quick about this. Try and vape for 3 months and quit.

He can not enjoy messing around for years vaping if he has serious lung problems. If he has serious lung problems I wouldn't even suggest vaping. I would suggest quitting cold turkey.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
I'm sure if he could quit cold turkey he'd have done so. That is a term that is thrown around too loosely and it's unrealistic for a lot of us. I couldn't do it, I tried. I tried the gum, patches, and meds and they only worked briefly and I was right back to smoking. Now those might be choices he could consider as it wouldn't affect his lungs. If he's already tried and failed then vaping is an alternative. He's still smoking at this point so vaping isn't worse than that and could be the one thing that helps him let go of the cigarettes.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I smoked 2 packs a day and did not start off with high nic. I actually do not agree with that at all. Vaping is to help you quit smoking and then you eventually quit vaping. I started out with 18mg and quickly dropped to 12mg. My stores didn't even offer 34mg nic that is crazy. If he has lung problems he needs to be quick about this. Try and vape for 3 months and quit.

He can not enjoy messing around for years vaping if he has serious lung problems. If he has serious lung problems I wouldn't even suggest vaping. I would suggest quitting cold turkey.

My brother will never be able to quit cold turkey - he has tried that many times and failed, he can't even cut back for long. If his best hope for quitting is to go cold turkey, he will never quit. That is unacceptable. He has tried other quitting methods and those also did not work. So at this point it's either vaping or continuing to smoke. That's why I posted here.

I say he needs high nicotine because if I gave him an 18 mg e-cig he would only use it when he doesn't feel like stepping outside. It would not be enough for him to fully quit smoking. I know my brother. (I understand you quit on less, but you are a different person - no two people have exactly the same needs.)

I disagree wholeheartedly with you that everyone should quit vaping, but I will not argue with you on that, it's besides the point. All I will say is that I would much rather see my brother vaping than smoking. If he chooses to quit vaping later that's his prerogative. It's smoking that's going to kill him. His lung problems are no longer "serious," as you said, but they will be again if he keeps smoking.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have chronic bronchitis and asthma and have found 50/50 to work well for me. With your mom having purchased the flavor in 100%pg and vg you'll be able to cut it to whatever ratio you wish. Half and Half will give you 50/50. 1/3 to 2/3 gives you approximately 30%/70%. I find that too much vg gives me a heavy feeling in my lungs but this may or may not be the case for your brother. Let us know how things go with the 100% so we can try and help you find something that works. Best of luck!

Ps. I couldn't do 100% pg because I started having an allergic reaction to it. As mentioned I use 50/50 and it's worked best for me.

I get the same feeling with VG, even on 50/50 it feels really thick and heavy in my lungs. I do best with 70 or 80% PG. But I never had lung problems beyond a chronic cough from smoking, so I don't know that it would translate to him well.

A lot of people on this forum are really into 100% VG and say that's easier for them to breathe, but I can't even imagine pure VG... allergies aren't a problem in our family so I wonder if higher PG is right for him.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
You'll just have to let your brother try that 100% pg and see how things go. When I mention anything I am really only referring to my own experiences. As you pointed out in a prior post we are individuals and not everything will apply to everyone. I really hope you find something that works for him. Fingers crossed X, :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread