Status
Not open for further replies.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I've seen some side conversations in each of the 'Gen' threads, but not one particular thread for the wick and mesh issues.

I have a SGv3 and when I bend the mesh the top arch is somewhat oval shaped. This has been giving me a hard time with both shorts and the wire being too far off the wick on points in the coil. I started adjusting how I roll the wick to prevent this as much as possible, but I'm still getting small sections of the coil that have intermittent glowing issues.

I've tried burning more juice before making the coil and that hasn't helped much. When I probe with a multimeter I can see there is a short in the coil each time, but it's difficult to get the coil loose enough to where there's no short while being close enough not to glow. Does anyone have any tips & tricks or person success stories that may give me some ideas on how to narrow down this issue?

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I think the issue I'm having now is wicking.

DSC00993.jpg

DSC00994.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

Robert T

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2010
Lake City, Florida
Your mesh doesn't look like it's oxidized very well to me, mine is pretty blackened. A three wrap coil has to be a low resistance so I wonder what voltage you're using. The coil might be to hot for the wicking rate. As far as wicking goes I had to develop a tilt method to keep the wick wet. I may be wrong but something to think about.

Robert

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
HELLO ALL

Just got this v3. And instructed I fired and blew approx 1 tank of pg/gf mix then filled with 50/50 pg vg the filed with vg pg red bull and vaped. All was well. Using usb at 4.8 4.9v metered . The element is 2.9ohm. I am now on tank 3 and vapor is dropped. Firing time has increased to 5-6 sec before vapor begins . Then almost immediately it gets a burnt flavor... Acrid taste. Here are pie of wick

IMAG0127.jpg IMAG0126.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 75

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
HELLO ALL

Just got this v3. And instructed I fired and blew approx 1 tank of pg/gf mix then filled with 50/50 pg vg the filed with vg pg red bull and vaped. All was well. Using usb at 4.8 4.9v metered . The element is 2.9ohm. I am now on tank 3 and vapor is dropped. Firing time has increased to 5-6 sec before vapor begins . Then almost immediately it gets a burnt flavor... Acrid taste. Here are pie of wick

View attachment 64211 View attachment 64212

Dryburn to clean the coil and wick, that black crud tastes terrible and prevents the wick from wetting the coil.

After you dry burn to clean the coil and wick you can rinse it out with hot water.

You may want to change out the juice too, as I've heard that it can get tainted from the "black crud" and would still taste bad after cleaning the wick and coil.

Try pulling the wick up a little bit, it looks like it is pushed down too far.

Last edited:

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA

The first vid is a VERY LONG drag, with little results, The second is a cap off, lonf fireing that lasts until the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7QywKMtsPoT cuts off automatically.

As suggested I pulled the wick up a little dry burned and brushed the "crud" from between the coils and then rinsed under hot water, then refilled and that is where the videos pick up/

Still seems very poor. I have seen other vids or vapor production that exceed even a dual coil.

PS. I metered again the coil and PT, they are 2.8ohm, and 3.7v

Last edited:

Youssefa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2009
Gainesville, FL USA
UPDATE.....

I am at just over half a tank. I am a heavy vaper. I have observed that when holding the unit perpendicular or just a bit higher higher than my mouth it wicks really well, flavor is almost too much, vapor is good. But when i hold it down (like drinking from a straw) after a couple of2-3 drags it's done and I have to lay it down. Also when holding perp to my mouth I end up with juice in the top cap. the fill hole is plugged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread