Shortness of breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruegsan

Aug 11, 2014
Gillett WI
I have been vaping for 17 months now. I was feeling better after I started vaping, but now notice I am really short of breath.
i have COPD. My Dr says my lungs are clear. I have this tightness in my chest. I tried 100% vg . Didn't help. I smoke mmenthol only flavor
and am down to mostly 0 nicotine with just a little on 6% nicotine in it. I really like strong menthol flavor. Anyone got suggestions ?

Hi, have you been to a Cardiologist? What you are having may not be related to your Vaping. Since this is new, you should consider it may be a Cardiac issue and not your lungs. Please see a Dr. and tell him everything, write down when this happens and how often as well as any light headedness or squeezing feeling in your chest. Please do not wait,make an appointment with your family Dr or if its sudden onset GO to the ER, don't put this off! The best you could find that this is anxiety of some sort, even better you could save your life! Please don't blow this off.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I agree about the VG -- I have asthma, and as little as 30% VG just shuts my lungs down almost completely. I'd say try something more like 75%PG/25%VG and see if that helps. Or if you want to stay at 50/50, add 20% distilled water to thin it down. VG is just too thick for some people's lungs, especially people who already have compromised airways.

Andria

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
I can only talk about personal experience. Not give advise.
Couple of weeks ago, I had the same reaction you're having.
Went for tests. And was diagnosed with COPD. (emphysema)
I don't inhale anymore. It takes afew days to get used to it, but works for me.
Also, I commend you in your casual reference to COPD. My world is crumbling.

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
Hi Detramental:
Thank you for your good wishes.
I've been vaping for over a year. Smoked cigars for 45. Changed to dark, more VG liquids and felt terrible.
That's how I ended up in a doctor. I'm scheduled for a Cat Scan on Monday. We'll see.
Every day I'm less scare. It's just the initial shock. Although I doubt I'll inhale any time soon.
Thanks again. Carlos.

Let it be noted that no claims have ever been made that vaping is a healthy practice... just a far less harmful alternative to smoking tobacco. I have been a smoker on and off since I was 18 (I'm 29 now), and I've "quit" around seven times now. I can tell you from experience that the cold-turkey method had my lungs back up to full performance after about a month of not smoking. Every single e-cig I've used, on the other hand, removes about 95% of the coughing/spitting/phlegm buildup that comes from smoking, but doesn't stop it entirely. I still cough a bit here and there and have to clear my throat from time to time.

So a little shortness of breath may just be one of the potential negative side effects of long-term vaping. Sure, it's not exactly pleasant, but it's nowhere near as uncomfortable (and disgusting) as what smoking does to one's lungs and ability to breathe.

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Hi Detramental:
Thank you for your good wishes.
I've been vaping for over a year. Smoked cigars for 45. Changed to dark, more VG liquids and felt terrible.
That's how I ended up in a doctor. I'm scheduled for a Cat Scan on Monday. We'll see.
Every day I'm less scare. It's just the initial shock. Although I doubt I'll inhale any time soon.
Thanks again. Carlos.

Let us know how you're doing and know you're not alone. :)

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
Hello again,
I hate to hijack this thread, but I'm not very focused to start my own.

Just came from the doctor. 65% lung function.
That's vaping exclusively for more than a year.
I wonder what would have been the result today if I continued smoking.
I wish (and eventually will) to share my experience with my family here in ECF.
Specially with those that still smoke.
Thank you all for your good wishes. Carlos.

Rondo9

Aug 30, 2014
Canada
I have been vaping for 17 months now. I was feeling better after I started vaping, but now notice I am really short of breath.
i have COPD. My Dr says my lungs are clear. I have this tightness in my chest. I tried 100% vg . Didn't help. I smoke mmenthol only flavor
and am down to mostly 0 nicotine with just a little on 6% nicotine in it. I really like strong menthol flavor. Anyone got suggestions ?

What kind of setup do you have??

I have found most clearomizers provide huge draws, too fast for me to handle. My throat and lungs get bothered. Especially if your coming from smoking cigs, it's not going to be easy to adjust. Not sure if you have tried the EGO C LR atty , but you should try before having to quit and go back to smoking real cig. Or if you never smoked but still want to vape, you could give it a shot. The pull is smooth/constant and takes time to buildup the vapor in your throat and lungs. I'm using 6% nicotine also

haneki

Aug 27, 2014
Okinawa, JP
I'm on my first week of vaping (no analogs) and I've noticed, during a vape session (5-10min), my chest will sometimes feel tight. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same thing as OP, but when I feel it, I just take a second and take a big deep breath, then forcefully exhale and it immediatly feels better.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe it's just me, since I only quit analogs 2 days ago and my lungs are still full of tar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread