Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
denali_41 said:
well there is the MVP,it is a good solid mod,,until it dies
Yep, I have one. I've barely touched it since I got the Vaporshark dna. Like just about every other pass-through device, you can't (easily) change the battery in it. And it just doesn't produce the vape quality that a Provari or DNA device does because it outputs a low-frequency PWM square wave.

You be wrong on this point, Sherlock. Check out this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

PBusardo put both the iTaste MVP and the iTaste VV3 on the oscelloscope, and both had a flat line just like a Provari (which produces 800+ Hz PWM). So no "cheapo" 33.3 Hz PWM "rattlesnake" chip in these two.

PBusardo reviews the iTaste MVP

PBusardo reviews the iTaste VV3

Last edited:

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
You be wrong on this point, Sherlock. Check out this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/488840-rattlesnake-effect-why-cheapo-vv-exception-itaste-mvp-dont-vape-same-provari-dna20d.html

PBusardo put both the iTaste MVP and the iTaste VV3 on the oscelloscope, and both had a flat line just like a Provari (which produces 800+ Hz PWM). So no "cheapo" 33.3 Hz PWM "rattlesnake" chip in these two.

PBusardo reviews the iTaste MVP

PBusardo reviews the iTaste VV3

while the MVP is a flatline modulation like the Provari,,it mhz is lower and i distinctly notice a difference with the same atty between the two ...

All in all,the MVP is a good short term mod,as in it wasn't built to last sadly enough

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but not that long ago, the Provari was regarded as a top-shelf product in terms of quality, service, and technology; essentially the best regulated (as opposed to mechanical) device you could get.

But now they've fallen behind in terms of technology. If I were Provape's owner, I'd consider that unacceptable. The perception that my product is the best thing available in its market segment by any measure is priceless.

An Ecig isn't a technology driven product, it's more like razorblades. So why are people going nuts looking for quality straight edges, vintage 1960's Gillette dual edge razors (that were less than $.50 when new, and today sell for $50 used and tarnished), when they can have the latest and greatest Norelco or whatever electronic shaver on the market?

Not many people want technology as a replacement for a rolled up clump of tobacco and a lighter. They want something that works, for as long as possible, with minimal maintenance and risk of breakdown. And that's what the Provari is.

Now I'm a very curious person, and I like to see what other people are buying, but I went right from Bloog to MVP2 to Provari. Then I came back and started filling in with VTR, 134, Mech Mods, more small Ego types, and waiting on a ZMax... not because I needed them for anything, but so I can have the full range of cheap breakables to see the attraction. So far... I haven't seen the attraction... I could do that because I had the Provari, and don't have to worry about a quality vape, while I played with the variety available (none of which are close- you get spoiled with the Provari, and I find it incredible that anyone can stand their vape quality dropping every few hits).

I am currently vaping a 1.1 ohm build on my Provari, and I can't see why anyone would want to go lower...
if it's true that subohm vaping drains the battery faster, where's the benefit? Your taste buds can only handle so much flavor and nic, I don't like changing batteries constantly, and unless you like obscuring your own vision, what's the point of giant vapor clouds? To irritate people in public? I don't get it.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I've designed power supplies for industrial furnaces that controlled hundreds of kilowatts of power into really difficult heating elements made of metallic molybdenum or silicon carbide. Both have really high temperature coefficients, meaning their resistance changes with temperature. So I think it's safe assumption that I understand Ohm's law. :D

However, I really do like having the state-of-charge of the battery, the resistance of the load, and the power setting available at a glance, without having to do anything except fire the unit. Maybe that's why I still wear a wrist watch as well, 'cause I don't want to have to dig my cell phone out to see what time it is; just like I don't wanna have to wade through some menus to see what my battery's state-of-charge is. :D

Ok... so... you are in an industry that designs electrical and metal components... and... you have lots of ideas for room for improvement for the Provari... and you know what you like and don't like...

And you haven't started working on a design of your own, knowing that there may be a market for it?

Why not?

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY
Glassgal, you are 100% right. I have two blades for shaving, and one safety razor. My Hart Steel straight razor was a bit of a splurge, but you only turn 40 once, right? LoL! While its American Steel isn't as sought after as german forged, that thing holds an edge like no other. On the other hand, I refinished an antique Red Dot that has amazing attention to detail and again, the steel, which is over 80 years old, is outstanding.
What's funny to me is the fact I was able to teach myself how to hone a razor while deployed to Afghanistan this year, but I am unable to perfect making a decent coil in the comfort of my own home, lol!
I love things that just work.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Ok... so... you are in an industry that designs electrical and metal components... and... you have lots of ideas for room for improvement for the Provari... and you know what you like and don't like...

And you haven't started working on a design of your own, knowing that there may be a market for it?
I'm not at all sure we've established that. :D

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Glassgal, you are 100% right. I have two blades for shaving, and one safety razor. My Hart Steel straight razor was a bit of a splurge, but you only turn 40 once, right? LoL! While its American Steel isn't as sought after as german forged, that thing holds an edge like no other. On the other hand, I refinished an antique Red Dot that has amazing attention to detail and again, the steel, which is over 80 years old, is outstanding.
What's funny to me is the fact I was able to teach myself how to hone a razor while deployed to Afghanistan this year, but I am unable to perfect making a decent coil in the comfort of my own home, lol!
I love things that just work.

Well... that's the thing people keep forgetting when they talk about technology and ecigs... they seem to forget the point of the ecig... it's to replace a CIGARETTE, which is as low tech as you can get... or a pipe, which is lower tech still. Why do we need that level of technology? Because with great technology comes lots of repairs:p. LOL!

My son is getting all into the old razors (he JUST turned 18, so he hasn't been shaving long) ... that's what he wanted, razor stuff, for Christmas. He doesn't have anything approaching what you guys have... I just got him got him an Edwin Jagger Double Edged Safety Razor, with stand, a nice brush, lots of shaving soaps, a big assortment of double edged razor blades, and of course a big alum block :)blink: ). When I started looking at WHAT to get him, HOLY COW, there's a whole science to shaving these days, and it's all about going back to basics. Meanwhile, we're up to what? 5 blades now on regular razors and a huge assortment of electronic razors?

I can see wanting new upgrades for hobby purposes, and they'll always be a market for it, but to expect the BEST and most BASIC battery to 'upgrade', when there's simply nothing better for the simple purpose of acting like a battery makes no sense to me.

I hope Provari DOES NOT UPGRADE EVER. If they do, the unit in your hand will be worth $1000 in a very short time.

I want someone to name ONE mod, DNA20, whatever, that you can throw out the window, run over with a car, smash against a concrete wall, pick it up and vape it, besides the Provari. And PROVARI should be the one changing to a easily breakable unrepairable flimsy 'upgrade'?

As for wrapping the coil... it IS tricky... but I found that practice makes perfect... and always get a magnifying glass!!!!

I've gotten much faster at it. The trick is to wrap on a mandrel, or bit, or teeny screwdriver...

1. pinch one end of the wire in the hand holding the rod (squish wire with fingernail so it can't move), do 2 wraps,

2. SQUISH the 2 coils tight together while tugging tight with the other side,

3. then another wrap, squish it tight to the last
(make sure they are all tight to the rod after each wrap, if one loop's bigger in the middle, it's way harder to fix later),

4. another wrap, til you are done (I just did 10 wraps with 28 ga, on a tiny Kayfun screwdriver, pinched into a microcoil and it's now 1.1 ohms, I wanted to test the lowest the Provari can go).

5. Then, take a tweezer/needle nose pliers, and bend each of the 2 end wires BACK towards the coil on each end direction to a sharp V. It looks like a coil with little v shaped elbows on both sides, because you want the coil to run vertical to your 2 posts down the 2 sides facing the juice channels, not lay post to post). Clip excess wire.

6. Then all you have to do is loosen the post screws and loop each side over it and tighten down.

7. Push your core rod through the coils again, and LIFT UP so it's not blocking the air channel once you wick.

8. TEST FIRE on your Provari and get your ohms reading BEFORE you put your wick in, or it will be a pain to adjust later. Coils should all light up at once, not 1 after another. Burn it fully red/yellow at least once so disgusting taste and yucky stuff burns off.

8. push Wick of choice through (I am using organic cotton balls from Walgreens). Adjust so your air channel is not blocked (or it may leak/flood), and that no wires should touch, trim and cap. Then open top chimney and poke the cotton down so it's not obstructing coil or air hole in middle. The airhole being full of cotton or juice = leak.

9. Final trick, for the Kayfun, I pull off fluffy bits of cotton ball to poke down around the top post if it's not looking full, again not covering the coils or the air channels below it- you clog up that air channel, and you are GOING to have a leak in the Kayfun, near the juice wicking, so there's more juice absorbing it.
This acts almost like cartos, so that you don't run out of juice and burn up your coils when the tank is empty, you have a small reserve on the cotton.

You know... this is harder to explain than to do. It's also hard to get photos of, because it takes both hands to do it! But if you read the above slowly, and try to visualize and try it, it's really quite easy after you do it a few times. Also, making the V is easier than trying to WRAP around teensy tiny posts you can barely see:p.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I'm not at all sure we've established that. :D

Of course there is. Look at the number of people who want Provari to upgrade. Seriously. Build something AS DURABLE, with more power, and people will buy it.

But have Provari change to do that? NO. I have no control over what Provari does, but right now, I think Provari is the standard that everyone else tries to match... but no one does. Why should they change til they have something that beats them in terms of durability?

Put a DNA20 in something light and small, and if someone can throw it out the window, smash it on concrete, run it over with a car, pick it up and vape anyway, you will give Provari a run for the money. But with all those mods and 'upgrades' out there, no one can do it. Why should Provari update? Maybe someone should redesign the wheel?

Last edited:

Moonswanni

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
The Winner Circle
Well... that's the thing people keep forgetting when they talk about technology and ecigs... they seem to forget the point of the ecig... it's to replace a CIGARETTE, which is as low tech as you can get... or a pipe, which is lower tech still. Why do we need that level of technology? Because with great technology comes lots of repairs:p. LOL!

I think all this bickering comes down to two types of groups wanting different things. One that prefers the "the latest and greatest" and the ones that want a device that is stable and works well.

I've only been lurking around the Provari forum for a week, but almost all the negative posts (however subtle) are complaining about cost; more specifically that the Provari's lack of features doesn't justify it's cost. Perhaps it would be wise to put a sticky at the top of forum with links to all the previous posts about the topic. Just a thought.

ChiefAllDay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2013
Ft. Campbell, KY

My son is getting all into the old razors (he JUST turned 18, so he hasn't been shaving long) ... that's what he wanted, razor stuff, for Christmas. He doesn't have anything approaching what you guys have... I just got him got him an Edwin Jagger Double Edged Safety Razor, with stand, a nice brush, lots of shaving soaps, a big assortment of double edged razor blades, and of course a big alum block :)blink: ). When I started looking at WHAT to get him, HOLY COW, there's a whole science to shaving these days, and it's all about going back to basics. Meanwhile, we're up to what? 5 blades now on regular razors and a huge assortment of electronic razors?

I can see wanting new upgrades for hobby purposes, and they'll always be a market for it, but to expect the BEST and most BASIC battery to 'upgrade', when there's simply nothing better for the simple purpose of acting like a battery makes no sense to me.

I hope Provari DOES NOT UPGRADE EVER. If they do, the unit in your hand will be worth $1000 in a very short time.

I want someone to name ONE mod, DNA20, whatever, that you can throw out the window, run over with a car, smash against a concrete wall, pick it up and vape it, besides the Provari. And PROVARI should be the one changing to a easily breakable unrepairable flimsy 'upgrade'?

As for wrapping the coil... it IS tricky... but I found that practice makes perfect... and always get a magnifying glass!!!!

I've gotten much faster at it. The trick is to wrap on a mandrel, or bit, or teeny screwdriver...

1. pinch one end of the wire in the hand holding the rod (squish wire with fingernail so it can't move), do 2 wraps,

2. SQUISH the 2 coils tight together while tugging tight with the other side,

3. then another wrap, squish it tight to the last
(make sure they are all tight to the rod after each wrap, if one loop's bigger in the middle, it's way harder to fix later),

4. another wrap, til you are done (I just did 10 wraps with 28 ga, on a tiny Kayfun screwdriver, pinched into a microcoil and it's now 1.1 ohms, I wanted to test the lowest the Provari can go).

5. Then, take a tweezer/needle nose pliers, and bend each of the 2 end wires BACK towards the coil on each end direction to a sharp V. It looks like a coil with little v shaped elbows on both sides, because you want the coil to run vertical to your 2 posts down the 2 sides facing the juice channels, not lay post to post). Clip excess wire.

6. Then all you have to do is loosen the post screws and loop each side over it and tighten down.

7. Push your core rod through the coils again, and LIFT UP so it's not blocking the air channel once you wick.

8. TEST FIRE on your Provari and get your ohms reading BEFORE you put your wick in, or it will be a pain to adjust later. Coils should all light up at once, not 1 after another. Burn it fully red/yellow at least once so disgusting taste and yucky stuff burns off.

8. push Wick of choice through (I am using organic cotton balls from Walgreens). Adjust so your air channel is not blocked (or it may leak/flood), and that no wires should touch, trim and cap. Then open top chimney and poke the cotton down so it's not obstructing coil or air hole in middle. The airhole being full of cotton or juice = leak.

9. Final trick, for the Kayfun, I pull off fluffy bits of cotton ball to poke down around the top post if it's not looking full, again not covering the coils or the air channels below it- you clog up that air channel, and you are GOING to have a leak in the Kayfun, near the juice wicking, so there's more juice absorbing it.
This acts almost like cartos, so that you don't run out of juice and burn up your coils when the tank is empty, you have a small reserve on the cotton.

You know... this is harder to explain than to do. It's also hard to get photos of, because it takes both hands to do it! But if you read the above slowly, and try to visualize and try it, it's really quite easy after you do it a few times. Also, making the V is easier than trying to WRAP around teensy tiny posts you can barely see:p.

Hah. My wife bought me the very same safety razor. I am gonna be honest with you, push him to straight razors. Get a good strop and and a quality razor and he will shave that way for life.
Show him straight razor designs, that site and it's forum are amazing. I would say it's on per or even more helpful than ECF. The big thing is most straight razors have a cost point that prohibits most idiots.

Sent from my Xperia Z1

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Hah. My wife bought me the very same safety razor. I am gonna be honest with you, push him to straight razors. Get a good strop and and a quality razor and he will shave that way for life.
Show him straight razor designs, that site and it's forum are amazing. I would say it's on per or even more helpful than ECF. The big thing is most straight razors have a cost point that prohibits most idiots.

Sent from my Xperia Z1

I'm not sure I'd trust him with a straight razor... visions of Sweeney Todd dance in my head when I think of it :blink:

I think all this bickering comes down to two types of groups wanting different things. One that prefers the "the latest and greatest" and the ones that want a device that is stable and works well.

I've only been lurking around the Provari forum for a week, but almost all the negative posts (however subtle) are complaining about cost; more specifically that the Provari's lack of features doesn't justify it's cost. Perhaps it would be wise to put a sticky at the top of forum with links to all the previous posts about the topic. Just a thought.

I would agree, most is about cost. What it makes up in not having VW honestly I had a zmax it had both VV and VW and I really cant see a difference. I think what a lot of non-owners dont understand is the power output is far superior than in most. This chip in here with its fast PWM and reduction what I an most people like to call "The RATTLESNAKE effect" makes all the difference. I can not comprehend how people cant notice the difference but for me vape quality and flavor are superior on my Provari. That nice stable output from full battery to dead every hit is the same.

Its built like a tank, I cant see anything breaking on this thing even from a pretty substantial fall. The 510 threads are some of the best you will find, almost everything I have sits flush on the 510 connection making just about anything look nice on it (No stupid gap between the 510 connection and whatever you have attached to it)

The threads on the whole thing really IMO are beautiful. I find you really dont need all that other "stuff" anyway. I wouldnt call it old technology. Provape for what they did, did it right and make a solid mod. 200 bucks? Id pay double that and still be satisfied honesty...

Also for the materials used and the pure beautiful machinery done, I dont think provape is really raking in the money on these things. They have even admitted that their profit margins are pretty slim on the provari. So can you blame them? They are not going to go broke or reduce quality to make a cheaper product. I believe all 200 dollars was put into these things. I mean they are beautiful and performance. Hell you cant really complain...

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I agree, Provari are the BEST :)! And that's from someone with 16 mods and 49 atomizers to compare on/against them (not counting any tanks I made myself) :).
2f24e711-fc44-407b-bec8-7f2cbd14f35a_zps2ed1d565.jpg

One of the MVP2 on the left is my husband's... who is trying to vape more. I told him if he didn't try, I'm going to keep buying more with his money til he does. It appears to be working... LOL!

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I just addressed my responses into your quote. (Mine in bold)

I beg to differ with you. If you try to drive a 8:1 variable resistance load with a fixed voltage or current, you're gonna have a bad time.

Well in your variable heat capacities of various substances under differing loads, of course you are going to need variable power. My point was calculations of the heat capacities and BTU output requirement is the "brain work". The power is as simple as converting your BTU to kW or whatever. No large modern commercial boilers operate at a constant power output. You simply tell them what your desired leaving temperature is, and the processor of the boiler, or BAS, or whatever stages the boiler up and down accordingly. To me, that is quite simple and I write logic sequences for this all the time. Calculation of the required output when the medium differs and determining the power sweet spot is much more difficult than giving the output fire % command....

I'd like to know how many mAh I was actually able to get out of a particular battery before the voltage drops so low that the device refuses to fire anymore. Right now, the owners of a particular device have no way to objectively compare the performance of different batteries in their devices, and I think it would be great to be able to do that.

It is a pretty straightforward calculation and the performance data of every major brand of batteries is posted on several threads here on ECF. Technonut has a great link in a blog of his showing the curves. Once you know the slope and intercept points of a battery curve, calculation of the mAh is pretty simple, I would think someone of your advanced technical knowledge would figure it out pretty quick. Since the slope of the performance curve varies quite a bit for each individual manufacturer, and the MOD cannot possibly know what brand of battery you are putting in it, the MOD mAh software/firmware/whatever would have have a general curve which would sort of make the whole feature useless. That is why I just press the button 9 times and check voltage...

But that is just me.

Seriously? You haul FIVE batteries around and you don't understand why I want to charge on the go, in the device, and why I want to see the battery's state-of-charge at a glance, without having to click my way into a menu?
:facepalm:

You did not acknowledge the safety part I tried to stress. The why I am happy to "haul" five batteries around. So here is why I carry five batteries, again:

<I have an Xtar VP-1 that I do my charging on because it is the best I have found on the market. I just carry extra batteries, so when I get home I can charge them all up safely. I would not like to charge my device through a micro-USB, because I would be risking my ProVari on whatever power source I plugged into. There are lots of threads here on ECF with horror stories about direct charging devices using this method. To me, the safety of charging is paramount. I am happy to carry a few bats to make sure I don't have a bad situation with batteries or my mods.>

I haven't seen those horror stories, but I'm guessing that they all involved the finest Chinesium devices. :D

I have no idea if this is true. I guess ProVape would have to answer as to why they don't hand you a micro-USB and slap an extra opening into their mod to permit it to charge. I suppose it could have to do with the fact that they are minimizing the number of "failure points" into the body of the device. The more openings in the mod, the faster something will get in kind of reasoning, I suppose.

Right. The perfect device (for me) does not exist yet. The DNA 20 controller + DNA Charger come reasonably close. Now if someone would just stick both of them in a mod that had an easily replaceable standard-sized battery, we'd be most of the way there.

Good luck finding something with all the features you want.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
Indy, IN
I agree, Provari are the BEST :)! And that's from someone with 16 mods and 49 atomizers to compare on/against them (not counting any tanks I made myself) :).
2f24e711-fc44-407b-bec8-7f2cbd14f35a_zps2ed1d565.jpg

One of the MVP2 on the left is my husband's... who is trying to vape more. I told him if he didn't try, I'm going to keep buying more with his money til he does. It appears to be working... LOL!

WOW!!!! very nice collection you have acquired!!!!!!!! :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread