Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Did you come out with a new color?

JUST KIDDING. LOL

I own a business that has nothing to do with vaping, but there are striking similarities. We serve a niche market, we have a reputation for outstanding customer service, our stuff is made in USA, and the market is full of cheap Chinese clone products. Sales of my stuff have never been a concern at any given moment for more than 10 years now. In other words there was no pressure to change. If I had simply left things alone 10 years ago, I could certainly have coasted along for a few more years, but I'm sure my products wouldn't still be regarded as a market leader, and I'm confident my sales wouldn't have grown as much as they have (my annual sales are now roughly 3x what they were 10 years ago).

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
I own a business that has nothing to do with vaping, but there are striking similarities. We serve a niche market, we have a reputation for outstanding customer service, our stuff is made in USA, and the market is full of cheap Chinese clone products. Sales of my stuff have never been a concern at any given moment for more than 10 years now. In other words there was no pressure to change. If I had simply left things alone 10 years ago, I could certainly have coasted along for a few more years, but I'm sure my products wouldn't still be regarded as a market leader, and I'm confident my sales wouldn't have grown as much as they have (my annual sales are now roughly 3x what they were 10 years ago).

One can be reasonably certain that Provape has R&D in progress. What direction they will take, we don't know. I'm betting it won't include puff counters. However, I will bet that they ensure it meets their product standards and that it will be targeted to a similar type of vaper as the current one - someone who appreciates their quality, reliability and service and is willing to pay for it.

I don't buy all of the hype that Provape is falling dangerously behind. VV vs VW - it's a matter of preference and I'm not convinced you need both on 1 device, in the end they get you to the same place. The LED is more reliable than others so it makes sense they use it and really it's an insignificant factor in choosing an APV. (just to name a few things that have been claimed to show it's over the hill).

That said, I've seen some suggestions for improvement that have potential. It will be interesting to see what Provape rolls out.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
personally, i wouldnt get one because of the price. i'd rather get an itaste vv3 or itaste MVP + mechanical mod.

itaste mvp VW > provari VV

i have both the MVP V1 & V2..they are cheap and don't last,
V1 button broke after a month,
V2 after 4 months the battery doesn't make it thru a single day now

Moonswanni

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
The Winner Circle
But now they've fallen behind in terms of technology. If I were Provape's owner, I'd consider that unacceptable.

I bought a Provari because it is consistent and would last a long time. It doesn't matter how many tricks a device can do if the device doesn't vape well and consistent. Variable wattage is NOT that big of a deal. It would be nice to have, BUT MY GOD the way some people carry on about it.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One can be reasonably certain that Provape has R&D in progress. What direction they will take, we don't know. I'm betting it won't include puff counters.
Good. I have a couple of devices with puff counters and I find them pointless. What I would find useful in a device with a removable battery however is a mAh counter -- showing how many mAh have actually been drawn from the battery since it was inserted (or charged, if the device has an integral charger) This would allow one to compare different batteries' capacities in an objective manner, rather than "This one SEEMS to last longer than that one" or "This battery doesn't SEEM to last as long as it did when it was new."

Oh, and then there's that integral charger thing too.. Why are there essentially NO devices with user-replaceable batteries that also have an integral charger? Most of us could get by with a much smaller device if we could simply plug it in and put some charge back into in when we're at our desk or in our car. I can run an Innokin VV all day that way, no problem, but because it doesn't have a user replaceable battery, I can't carry a spare battery for it on those occasions when I'm away from power all day long.

Come out with a device that's no bigger than a Provari Mini, has both an integral charger, and uses an easily swappable, standard-sized battery, and I'll order two of 'em immediately.

However, I will bet that they ensure it meets their product standards and that it will be targeted to a similar type of vaper as the current one - someone who appreciates their quality, reliability and service and is willing to pay for it.
Yeah, I'm in their target audience. I have no problem spending money on good stuff. I've already got a Vaporshark DNA. I'll almost certainly buy a ZNA as soon as they're available. I won't buy a Chinese clone of anything on general principle.

VV vs VW - it's a matter of preference and I'm not convinced you need both on 1 device, in the end they get you to the same place.
Agreed. It's reminds me of the shutter-priority vs. apeture-priority debate in SLR cameras that raged for a long time about 35 years ago. You don't need both; either one will do the job, but some people do prefer one over the other, and if you only have one, you're only catering to half the market.

The LED is more reliable than others so it makes sense they use it and really it's an insignificant factor in choosing an APV.
Meh, IMO the reliability of a display has far more to do with the quality of a device's design and construction than whether it's an LED, LCD, or something else. My problem with the Provari's display is that it provides too little info. If I pick up a DNA 20 device and fire it once, I have the power setting, the resistance of the attached atty, and the state-of-charge of the battery all at a glance wiout doing anything else.

Id bet everyone bashing a provari has never held one or used one. Id also bet they only have cheap chinese mods. I had my provari for about a half hour and can tell you its the best vape I ever had. In 6 months I broke 2 zmax they are cheap. One the oled just took a .... on one day and once the screen is dead, it IS dead.

You dont need all that DNA20 garbage on the screen if you understand ohm's law, and if you did your research a lot of the DNA box mods you drop them once the board is fried they are gentle little guys. I wish everyone would stop with the whole I dont know if I should get a provari or not. You want one, go buy one. IF its not for you, sell it, resale value is almost 100% profit on a provari.

Want a cheap mod, buy 2 inevitably they are going to die, from drops or god knows what else. Your a cluts like me, buy a provari.

All the time you hear, had my PROVARI FOR YEARS, it still vapes. I havnt seen many more mods with that kind of track record. Again you want quality, reliability, buy a Provari.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm not bashing, just saying in their present form, they don't appeal to me. And for me, it ain't the price. It's the form-factor (too big & heavy for the battery capacity), the lack of an integral charger, and the display/user-interface.

You dont need all that DNA20 garbage on the screen if you understand ohm's law
That's pretty funny. I've designed power supplies for industrial furnaces that controlled hundreds of kilowatts of power into really difficult heating elements made of metallic molybdenum or silicon carbide. Both have really high temperature coefficients, meaning their resistance changes with temperature. So I think it's safe assumption that I understand Ohm's law. :D

However, I really do like having the state-of-charge of the battery, the resistance of the load, and the power setting available at a glance, without having to do anything except fire the unit. Maybe that's why I still wear a wrist watch as well, 'cause I don't want to have to dig my cell phone out to see what time it is; just like I don't wanna have to wade through some menus to see what my battery's state-of-charge is. :D

I'm not bashing, just saying in their present form, they don't appeal to me. And for me, it ain't the price. It's the form-factor (too big & heavy for the battery capacity), the lack of an integral charger, and the display/user-interface.

That's pretty funny. I've designed power supplies for industrial furnaces that controlled hundreds of kilowatts of power into really difficult heating elements made of metallic molybdenum or silicon carbide. Both have really high temperature coefficients, meaning their resistance changes with temperature. So I think it's safe assumption that I understand Ohm's law. :D

However, I really do like having the state-of-charge of the battery, the resistance of the load, and the power setting available at a glance, without having to do anything except fire the unit. Maybe that's why I still wear a wrist watch as well, 'cause I don't want to have to dig my cell phone out to see what time it is; just like I don't wanna have to wade through some menus to see what my battery's state-of-charge is. :D

And a few clicks of a button to get that info is the end of the world. I like the DNA20's too. I would love all that info on one screen. I just read many of places the DNA20 boards are very fragile. I have a 3 and 5 year old running around constantly you can easly lay waste to 200 dollars on a DNA20 mod and one drop its dead.

Do DNA20 come with a warranty? I havnt seen any that do. So again I guess when I spend money I go for quality and the chips in the Provari are proven to last years on end, thats not to be seen on DNA20 mods yet. But there are tons of information on them dying a painful death.

Im not basing anyone, to each their own. But I gotta say im Loving my provari so far!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Chips don't break (not from drops and impacts anyway). Circuit boards and displays usually don't either, at least not if they're properly mounted and protected. So I don't think any of those anecdotes reflect poorly on the DNA controller itself, but more on design of the devices it's been used in. The only DNA based mod I currently own is a Vaporshark DNA. If it breaks, I'm reasonably confident I can fix it myself. Take out two screws and it's apart. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron, and the DNA 20 controller itself can be bought separately.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Oh, and then there's that integral charger thing too.. Why are there essentially NO devices with user-replaceable batteries that also have an integral charger?

I'm not so great with some of the lingo, do you mean a device that has replaceable batteries, but the batteries can also be charged with a USB/wall adaptor? Like this one?

JoyeTech 18650 powered eGo-T - Genuine JoyeTech!

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were describing.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
No, not exactly. I mean a device that needs nothing more than a standard micro-USB cable to charge from, call it a "pass through" if you want, but that also has easily replaceable batteries, so you can carry a spare charged battery if you know you're going to be away from power.

Actually, I forgot about one device that does this.. The eVic. Maybe I should have said there are no quality devices with this capability. :D

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
No, not exactly. I mean a device that needs nothing more than a standard micro-USB cable to charge from, call it a "pass through" if you want, but that also has easily replaceable batteries, so you can carry a spare charged battery if you know you're going to be away from power.

Actually, I forgot about one device that does this.. The eVic. Maybe I should have said there are no quality devices with this capability. :D

well there is the MVP,it is a good solid mod,,until it dies

provari does have a passthrough option,but it replaces the battery ,not charges it

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
well there is the MVP,it is a good solid mod,,until it dies
Yep, I have one. I've barely touched it since I got the Vaporshark DNA. Like just about every other pass-through device, you can't (easily) change the battery in it. And it just doesn't produce the vape quality that a Provari or DNA device does because it outputs a low-frequency PWM square wave.

provari does have a passthrough option,but it replaces the battery ,not charges it
Yep. Also not what I'm looking for. :(

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

What you are describing there is much more of a thermodynamics issue than a power issue. But, I am gonna assume you understand Ohms Law just fine.

On to your observations there with the ProVari. I don't understand wanting a better source of information on power remaining. The ProVari (under Cb) gives you the voltage under load of the battery...so, this tells you very accurately how much power you have left. 4.2=full, 3.8=half, 3.3=time to recharge. This is more than sufficient for my needs. If I wanted mAh, I could simply apply the factors of the Full mAhx(4.2/current voltage)=current mAh (useable). My issue is that the mAh of batteries that can be used is so variable, that the term is useless. I have a Samsung that is 2800 mAh, but many of those mAh happen below 3.3 volts....what good do they do me? To me, the voltage is all that matters...

I don't think I understand the charge battery in the mod issue you have with the ProVari. I leave for work each morning with 3 18350s and 2 18490s in a box that is 3" x 6". They fit nicely in my bag I carry to work anyway. I have an Xtar VP-1 that I do my charging on because it is the best I have found on the market. I just carry extra batteries, so when I get home I can charge them all up safely. I would not like to charge my device through a micro-USB, because I would be risking my ProVari on whatever power source I plugged into. There are lots of threads here on ECF with horror stories about direct charging devices using this method. To me, the safety of charging is paramount. I am happy to carry a few bats to make sure I don't have a bad situation with batteries or my mods.

Just my opinion on this, however, I bet I am not the only ProVari owner who feels this way. Of course, if you want those features, the ProVari is not for you.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What you are describing there is much more of a thermodynamics issue than a power issue.
I beg to differ with you. If you try to drive a 8:1 variable resistance load with a fixed voltage or current, you're gonna have a bad time.

On to your observations there with the ProVari. I don't understand wanting a better source of information on power remaining. The ProVari (under Cb) gives you the voltage under load of the battery...so, this tells you very accurately how much power you have left. 4.2=full, 3.8=half, 3.3=time to recharge. This is more than sufficient for my needs. If I wanted mAh, I could simply apply the factors of the Full mAhx(4.2/current voltage)=current mAh (useable). My issue is that the mAh of batteries that can be used is so variable, that the term is useless. I have a Samsung that is 2800 mAh, but many of those mAh happen below 3.3 volts....what good do they do me?
I'd like to know how many mAh I was actually able to get out of a particular battery before the voltage drops so low that the device refuses to fire anymore. Right now, the owners of a particular device have no way to objectively compare the performance of different batteries in their devices, and I think it would be great to be able to do that.

I don't think I understand the charge battery in the mod issue you have with the ProVari. I leave for work each morning with 3 18350s and 2 18490s in a box that is 3" x 6".
Seriously? You haul FIVE batteries around and you don't understand why I want to charge on the go, in the device, and why I want to see the battery's state-of-charge at a glance, without having to click my way into a menu?
:facepalm:

I would not like to charge my device through a micro-USB, because I would be risking my ProVari on whatever power source I plugged into. There are lots of threads here on ECF with horror stories about direct charging devices using this method. To me, the safety of charging is paramount. I am happy to carry a few bats to make sure I don't have a bad situation with batteries or my mods.
I haven't seen those horror stories, but I'm guessing that they all involved the finest Chinesium devices. :D

Of course, if you want those features, the ProVari is not for you.
Right. The perfect device (for me) does not exist yet. The DNA 20 controller + DNA Charger come reasonably close. Now if someone would just stick both of them in a mod that had an easily replaceable standard-sized battery, we'd be most of the way there.

TFL!

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Chatfield, MN, USA

Sounds like you have know how. So Why don't you design and build what you want. Instead of B!@### about other mods out there.

MrSelf Destruct

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
Cobra Island
I just purchased one this morning. I own some ego twists, Vamo v2, SVD and MVP v2. SVD is dead. Button died after about 5 months. First vamo v2 had a screen defect so I returned it. My second one works ok but the screen shifted, up button is not clicky anymore and the center post is sketchy. I've used this one for about 5 months. It has been dropped a couple times. MVP v2 is nice and working great but I've only had it for a month. It does have some center pin issues as well.

I am just getting sick of fiddling with chinese mods to get them to perform how I want them to...or at all in some cases! I will still use my MVP and vamo as a backup.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sounds like you have know how. So Why don't you design and build what you want. Instead of B!@### about other mods out there.
I'm not exactly .....ing. It's more like thinking out loud, contemplating what I'd like to have.

But you know what, I think I'll go start a different thread to do that in. This one, incidentally, did not start out in the Provari section; it got moved here from the New Users Forum. As for making my own with all those features, yeah I could, if I were inclined to devote my time and energy to it. I won't rule it out, but I really have other things I should be doing. :D

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I went from ego twists straight to a provari and haven't regretted it a bit. Its the cadillac of e cigs. Lacking variable wattage doesn't bug me because I change my voltage all the time, just depends on my mood really. Too much, turn it down, too little, turn it up. I do the same thing on my MVP2 which is also variable wattage. Honestly I can't tell the difference.

The provari is definitely worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread