Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Here is the one thing that people who say "a dna 20 Provari? I'd buy that in a second" haven't taken into account. The size of the dna chipset. From all the DNA20 tube mods I have seen, the DNA20 board, display and button array takes up a good inch more that the Provari guts.

A Provari DNA20 Mini would no longer be a Mini. The 18350 battery would not fit in the same short tube. It would suddenly be as big as the standard Provari with only the 18350 battery inside. Or about the size of a Mini with extension cap without the longer lasting 18490s.
A DNA20 Mini with a 490 battery would be the size of an extended Standard. In other words, a pretty pretty pretty long mod. Look at the Futura as an example.

It's a trade off I wouldn't want to make myself.

Now if Provapes could find a way to add more features or upgrade the display while keeping the smaller form factor, then THAT would be something I could find enough to want an upgrade from what I have now, which is 2 Provari Mini 2.5s.

Tapatalking with my thumbs.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

shellro07

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2013
Colorado, USA
I went from a Halo G6 to an MVP2 and really love the MVP. But that is my only mod now. After reading so much info about the Provari, I've talked myself into buying one (Provape is having a 5% off sale 12/31-01/01, by the way). Is it pricey? Yes. But so was my cigarette habit ($120+ a month for 30 years). From what I have read it is solidly built and will last a long time, you can send it in to repair it for a nominal fee if something happens to it, it's American made, has vv, produces a great and smooth vapor and it holds its value (if for some reason you didn't like it, you could sell it for almost the price you bought it for). I have never read any complaints about it from an owner yet. I'm excited to buy one! It sounds like you won't be disappointed if you buy one as well. Good luck!

Soulfly54

Mar 26, 2013
Waukesha, WI
I started vaping 10 months ago. Went Blus, Ego, Spinner, 5 vv/vw mods & countless different tanks. I had settled for a while on my Sigelei Zmax & carto tank. And then broke down & got a Provari 2 months ago, expecting it to fail to live up to the hype. I couldn't have been more wrong. The Provari is super durable, oozes quality, and above all puts out a superior vape to any other mod I've tried. I don't like to sound like a fan boy here- just saying until you actually own one & vape it on a regular basis you don't know what you're missing.

I should also add that I have not had any experience with mechanicals, so I can't offer anything in the way of those.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I can understand the love affair with the Provaris, they are well built and I would say the most reliable variable mod manufacturer out there, but to me they scream outdated technology. I'm trying to get my hands on a Futura ASAP, but if Provape came out with a DNA20 Provari, I think thousands and thousands of people would jump on it.
I have been vaping for about 3 years now. I purchased a provari about 2 years ago and its still going strong. I have never had one issue with it at all. along with the provari I have owned many other mods, both vv & mech and they just don't hold up like a provari. I recently purchased a futura dna mod and let me tell you it is NO provari. after a few days I had to send it back for repairs. to compare a futura to a provari is like comparing a filet mignon to a hamburger. maybe initially it could be hard for one to tell the difference between mods, especially if one is using the provari to hold just a carto or protank or the like. I use rebuildables and have used my provari at every possible resisance from .08 to the higher end and its worked flawlessly and consistently for a couple years. its truly a great device, period.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
A good consistent vape from battery start to battery finish. I don't sub-ohm so the Provari fills my needs quite nicely. Nothing lasts forever but I feel the Provari will last for years. Just bought a second for back up this Christmas. If I buy another PV it will be a REO so I can squonk and go sub-ohm id I want (G)!

Jarbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
New Jersey
i've been eyeing future purchases once my egos decide to hit the crapper and one thing i see over and over in the provari threads is that they can take a beating. i can be a clumsy ....... and my ego has fallen out of my bed, off my lap and wherever. thankfully nothing has busted on the hardwood floors yet and because of this, i'll be getting a provari because i hate breaking things and feeling like an ....

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Here is the one thing that people who say "a DNA 20 Provari? I'd buy that in a second" haven't taken into account. The size of the DNA chipset. From all the DNA20 tube mods I have seen, the DNA20 board, display and button array takes up a good inch more that the Provari guts.
Sure, if you put a DNA 20 board and display in a tube, lengthwise above the battery, you're going to end up with a pretty long device. In the other hand, it you put the DNA 20 board and display next to the battery, you end up with something shorter than the Provari. But I wouldn't worry about it in either case; the idea that Provari would put their name on a device based around an of-the-shelf DNA 20 is pretty much inconceivable. :D

got a Provari 2 months ago, expecting it to fail to live up to the hype. I couldn't have been more wrong. The Provari is super durable, oozes quality, and above all puts out a superior vape to any other mod I've tried.
I'm pretty sure the secret sauce is real DC, as opposed to the PWM square wave that just about all the other (cheaper) regulated devices produce. I was skeptical about this myself until I got a DNA 20 based device and compared it back-and-forth with an MVP using the same juice in the same tank. There really is a difference!

I suspect this is also one of the reasons why many people prefer mechs over (cheap) regulated modes. A mech obviously also produces real DC.

gbacon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Henderson, NV
I have been vapeing for just about a year now and have had several cheap mods. about 2 months ago I got a little extra money so a purchased a couple of what is considered the better Chinese mods so I could have some new toys. I will say I was happy with my new devices. I have been interested in the Provari since I started vapeing but the price tag just seemed so high that I could not make myself take the plunge. One day I went to a vape shop about an hour north of were I live to check it out, and they had provari's for sale. as soon as I picked it up I knew that I had to have it. it cost me $200 for my Zombie and I will never regret it. By the time I got home from my hour long drive with it, I was so in love that I traded off both my other new devices and some other stuff I had for my second Provari. I now have a full size zombie and a satin mini v2.5 and no desire to ever use a Chinese mod again.

Moonswanni

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
The Winner Circle
To OP

If are planing on vaping for some time then buy a Provari. Once you have one, you can experiment with cheaper PVs.

My reasoning is if you go from an ego to other PVs, there is an tendency to "chase mods" and overspend because your needs are not being met. After you have the Provari, you can buy cheaper mods if that is your thing, but you will not be "chasing" them. That was my thinking after I bought my first PV and wasn't satisfied with it.

Another benefit of doing it this way, is you can sell your Provari for almost what you paid for it. You can't do that with the cheaper stuff so much.

Last edited:

Moonswanni

ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
The Winner Circle
I went from a Halo G6 to an MVP2 and really love the MVP. But that is my only mod now. After reading so much info about the Provari, I've talked myself into buying one (Provape is having a 5% off sale 12/31-01/01, by the way). Is it pricey? Yes. But so was my cigarette habit ($120+ a month for 30 years). From what I have read it is solidly built and will last a long time, you can send it in to repair it for a nominal fee if something happens to it, it's American made, has vv, produces a great and smooth vapor and it holds its value (if for some reason you didn't like it, you could sell it for almost the price you bought it for). I have never read any complaints about it from an owner yet. I'm excited to buy one! It sounds like you won't be disappointed if you buy one as well. Good luck!

Do it. I went from a Halo G6 to MVP. I actually bought the MVP for an external battery charger and an ohm checker; I knew I probably wouldn't like the form factor so I didn't consider it "mod worthy". I then bought a SMOK Zmax mini. The reality is the MVP is more consistent. So I decided to get off that train wreck and just bought a Provari.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How much does a DNA20 mod cost
The least expensive commercially available one I'm aware of right now is about $170.

and what happens if you drop it in the driveway?
A DNA 20 isn't a mod, it's just a controller and display intended to be incorporated into a mod by others. So there's no way to answer that question. Could someone make a DNA 20 based mod that's as sturdy as a Provari? I see no reason why that wouldn't be doable.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The least expensive commercially available one I'm aware of right now is about $170.

A DNA 20 isn't a mod, it's just a controller and display intended to be incorporated into a mod by others. So there's no way to answer that question. Could someone make a DNA 20 based mod that's as sturdy as a Provari? I see no reason why that wouldn't be doable.

Well once they do, and establish a track record of honoring warranty and servicing units out of warranty at a very fair price, they may become very comparable. Due to dealing with ProVape for service, etc., I view the ProVari as a superior product at this time. The main plus to the DNA is greater power limits and sub-ohm range. That is a nice feature, to be sure. I suspect/hope that ProVari will push the 5 amp limit with V3, partially based on what the DNA has done in the market.

If it works out that way, I will thank the creator of the DNA chip for changing the industry in a positive way.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory

I'm sorry, I meant a mod with a DNA20 chip in it. Anyway, it was a rhetorical question.

The ProVari does what it does, and it does it well. When people talk about it not having this or that feature they want in a device, they don't want a ProVari and should buy something else. You have to keep in mind that ECF isn't the whole vaping community and the number of ECF members who would buy a ProVari with different features is smaller still. Vaping hobbyists are not ProVape's target customers. Their target customer is someone like my friends, who bought ProVaris because they liked mine. It's a simple device that works consistently, can be fixed if something goes wrong, is made in the US and comes in pretty colors. What motivation does ProVape have to go through the cost of r&d to develop a new product for an already saturated market? My friends don't know a watt from a wallaby, but will likely buy more ProVaris for back up.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
What motivation does ProVape have to go through the cost of r&d to develop a new product for an already saturated market?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but not that long ago, the Provari was regarded as a top-shelf product in terms of quality, service, and technology; essentially the best regulated (as opposed to mechanical) device you could get.

But now they've fallen behind in terms of technology. If I were Provape's owner, I'd consider that unacceptable. The perception that my product is the best thing available in its market segment by any measure is priceless.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Correct me if I'm wrong, but not that long ago, the Provari was regarded as a top-shelf product in terms of quality, service, and technology; essentially the best regulated (as opposed to mechanical) device you could get.

But now they've fallen behind in terms of technology. If I were Provape's owner, I'd consider that unacceptable. The perception that my product is the best thing available in its market segment by any measure is priceless.

It kind of depends on who is doing the perceiving. The debate about whether or not ProVape will upgrade is on-going. The eGo is probably the best selling device on the market (excluding cig-a-likes) and even though they released the Twist, people still buy the standard models. There's also the Reo, it hasn't changed and sells quite well.

Of course I have no idea what ProVape plans for the future, but the only time I hear about them falling behind in terms of technology is on vaping forums. Unless a new mod comes out that has all of the features the ProVari currently has, I doubt it will have a significant affect on ProVape's market irrespective of any features like amps limits, etc.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
It kind of depends on who is doing the perceiving. The debate about whether or not ProVape will upgrade is on-going. The eGo is probably the best selling device on the market (excluding cig-a-likes) and even though they released the Twist, people still buy the standard models. There's also the Reo, it hasn't changed and sells quite well.

Of course I have no idea what ProVape plans for the future, but the only time I hear about them falling behind in terms of technology is on vaping forums. Unless a new mod comes out that has all of the features the ProVari currently has, I doubt it will have a significant affect on ProVape's market irrespective of any features like amps limits, etc.

Well I have to agree with you, Princess. The ProVape mission seems to be make a top quality product that is US manufactured using as many US components as the market will provide. Sales of the device is not a concern at the moment. They are not pressured to change.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
I am Provape's current target market. I started with 808s close to 4 years ago which didn't work, and then moved to eGos which did. I bought a few mods here and there to play with, but continued to be happy with my eGo passthroughs. I bought and then sent a competitor's VV device back for repair after 2 months of use. It broke again 2 months after that, so it now sits in my vape case as a piece of nostalgia. When the quality of the passthroughs started falling (I'm guessing because of all the "upgrades" since they happened at the same time) I decided I was tired of replacing them and wanted something I could depend on. I don't give a flip what other people think about it, I don't care if it has VW or fancy bells and whistles, I just care that it works and keeps on working. And I'm guessing, both from comments made by other long time veteran vapers as well as the number of members registered on these forums that aren't actively posting, that there are a LOT more of us out there than you would think.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sales of the device is not a concern at the moment. They are not pressured to change.
I own a business that has nothing to do with vaping, but there are striking similarities. We serve a niche market, we have a reputation for outstanding customer service, our stuff is made in USA, and the market is full of cheap Chinese clone products. Sales of my stuff have never been a concern at any given moment for more than 10 years now. In other words there was no pressure to change. If I had simply left things alone 10 years ago, I could certainly have coasted along for a few more years, but I'm sure my products wouldn't still be regarded as a market leader, and I'm confident my sales wouldn't have grown as much as they have (my annual sales are now roughly 3x what they were 10 years ago).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread