pu4a9e4y.jpg

My first tattoo

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

SneakyVapper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
FPO AP
For my next tattoo, I really want something flowery and feminine and pretty. I'm thinking cherry blossoms or a lotus flower...but I really want a Scottish thistle. Unfortunately the thistle is hard to do as feminine cause it's so danged thorny. I also want to do something in the new "watercolor" style. Has anyone seen those? They are soooo neato:)

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
004.jpg

Got a bunch more, mainly on spots that are tough for me to try to snap with my little phone, some of which I really only have for me, not really too keen on posting. Gotta get someone to snap the one of the water lily that I designed that's on the back of my neck because, heck, visual art's not typically my forte, and my hair is too long for anyone to see it anymore:(. But I LOVE seeing other folks' ink:D. Thank you, Sneaky, for starting up this thread. I sure hope more people will post here. Why are tattoos SOOOO addictive?!? I actually like the way it feels to get them a whole bunch...it's really not pain, just a lot of very interesting buzzing. That sorta dull ache after the fact is less pleasant, but very short-lived. Grrr...they've gotten so darn expensive, though. So, a couple more to come. But please, folks, keep 'em coming:toast:!

SneakyVapper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2013
FPO AP
Oh oh OH! Aaaaannnd..if you have any cool stories to share...like what does your tat mean to you? I know that's the most repetitive and sometimes annoying question people ask, but I'd love to hear:)

Such as, "Why the heck do you have a pig and a rooster on your feet? That's just weird"...and I say...

"Well, you see, it's an ol' superstitious Navy tat. Back in the days of wooden ships and cloth sails, the sailors would have livestock on board. The pigs and roosters couldn't swim, so they were kept in wooden crates lest the ship went down. If the ship sank, the crates would float. The sailors would hang on to the crates and float to dry land. And sometimes...a bunch of random pigs and roosters on an island was an indication of a shipwreck nearby."

As legend has it, tattooing a pig and rooster on your feet could prevent drowning. There's even a short poem....... on the right, never lose a fight. Pig under your knee, never lost at sea.

It's actually kinda corny, but I like it. I saw an old photo from like, the 1930s or something of a Yeoman who was transferred off of three different ships right before they sank. He said it was because of his tats.

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
You know, I wanted to ask, Sneaky; but I have been burned so many times by asking folks for the meaning or significance of their tattoos that I just totally stopped asking a while back. I LOVE that story, though. Life at sea, with all its dangers, has always been intriguing to me, and I'm sure I overly-romanticize it; but I love the ocean so much, and there's a lure to it. Yes, you're right, what I said about not too much pain with tattoos might not apply to the bottoms of one's feet:ohmy:! The notes from the one I've put up so far are the line from "I Am The Walrus" that say "...standing in the English rain". Of course I adore The Beatles, but it's largely because, even though I love my country (though I have some gripes, for sure), I hope to live in England one day. I'd love to spend many, many a day "standing in the English rain". I promise this'll be the only song I'll post in this thread :)oops:). But if you'd like to hear my tattoo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread