Sick of carto tank, need something else- ideas please

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
I can't stand cartos with filler, but I love carto tanks. I use the Ravens, still on the first 3 I opened 2 months ago, they can be cleaned and dry-burned. Also the cartos from Ikenvape have the reputaton of being the best filler cartos. Seems a shame to pitch your tanks, these might be worth a try...

GotVapes PHOENiX Raven™ : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Well that certainly is intriguing! Hmmm. Guess I'm gonna order one of those too. Since I'm in the mood to try something different, that certainly is worth a shot. Thanks

Proetus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2013
Western Mass
Originally I was getting Boge's from Valley Vapes- at the time they were punching & testing the cartos themselves. I was happy with those. Then they started selling pre-punched ones that were laser punched. The holes were so tiny in those, that I ended up having to punch them larger. And then he had health issues and wasn't shipping for a while, so I had to switch. I moved to another vendor (don't remember which one) for pre-punched, and those also were the tiny laser punched. My most recent batch (4 boxes) was from litecigusa. Also pre-punched Boge's, but these have a large enough hole. However these have one single hole, and it is up fairly high (about 1/3 the way up from the base), which means I have to add juice multiple times to keep the juice from dropping below the hole, or punch a 2nd hole down lower

Me and my wife are both using VW PV's- I'm using Zmax, wife is using Darwin. I vape at a pretty high wattage (9.5w) and she vapes at a lower watt (5w). But ironically she gets a burnt taste more often than I do (it's really rare for that to happen to me)

Interesting. I have had zero feed issues with dual prepunched boges with as high as 80/20 vg/pg rations. The only thing i have to open up holes for is BB. I hope you find the vape you are looking for.

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
Proetus:10302548 said:
My experience with the vape only wasn't good. Was great for a week, then the silicone grommet got loose and juice would leak down to connection.

Yea I have had the same experience with ismoka and vapeonly bccs. The grommets arent cheap but the tank/threads are, over tightening or under tightening is very easy to do and will cause juice to leak under the push in heads through the base. Save yourself the frustration and get something with quality threads/parts. Like the protank 2 :).

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Well my ProTank2 and my Phoenix Raven both arrived Saturday. Ironically I happen to be vaping on a tank carto that seems to be running perfect so I don't want to switch at this moment LOL As soon as this one goes bad, I'll try one of those new ones.

Just from looking the ProTank2 and the Raven over, the ProTank2 looks like a better made piece- it just has a feel and appearance of a well built unit. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Raven, as it appears to be a nicely created piece as well. I'll probably test the ProTank first

Question regarding the ProTank- is there any method to ensure the wick is well primed? I just want to make sure that it is good to go when I take my first drag.

Likewise with the Raven- any technique to ensure the wick is properly primes before firing it up?

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
So I finally loaded up my new PTII, checked the ohm of the head and have the 2.5o head loaded (actually it is displaying 2.4o on my PV) I typically vape at 9.5w. First hit was horribly burnt taste. I backed the watts down to 6, and good taste (but not the warmth I prefer). Vaped a while at 6w until I was confident that the head was well soaked. Bumped back up to 9w- one hit horrible burnt taste. Backed it down to 6, and gradually bumped it up at .5 increments. 7.5 seems to be max. At 8.0 there is a slight burnt taste, and at 8.5 is bad burnt taste.

PV is Zmax.

Gotta admit the flavor is great at the lower watt, but absent the warmth that I prefer. Not sure I'm gonna be able to use the PTII. I'll give it a couple days, then test the Raven

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
About a month ago, I put all 8 pro tanks in a drawer and went to a Carto tank. My two cents, but I think your problem is the Boges. There have been many posts of late about the problems with these. They seem to be running a lot of "sales" on Boges also... a possible sign of a problem with moving a product. May want to try Smoktech or Ikenvape. The problem with the Ikenvapes is hey are always sold out it seems.

The protanks are great tanks but give a muted taste and you need a 1.8 ohm coil/head and need to vape that at around 3.4 to 3.7 Volts...not sure what that is in watts., but the Carto tank with a good Cartomizer has a better taste to me, right behind a dripping Atomizer. I use an IBTanked quality carto tank.

Just my two cents

Last edited:

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
The protanks are great tanks but give a muted taste and you need a 1.8 ohm coil/head and need to vape that at around 3.4 to 3.7 Volts...not sure what that is in watts., but the Carto tank with a good Cartomizer has a better taste to me, right behind a dripping Atomizer. I use an IBTanked quality carto tank.

Just my two cents

I'll give the 1.8o head a try tonight, at your suggestion of 3.7 and see if that fixes my problems. If not, I still have the Raven to test out.

My wife prefers a cooler vape, so this PT2 will probably suit her just fine

indoorsindica

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
cathedral city, CA, USA
Thunderball:10317886 said:
About a month ago, I put all 8 pro tanks in a drawer and went to a Carto tank. My two cents, but I think your problem is the Boges. There have been many posts of late about the problems with these. They seem to be running a lot of "sales" on Boges also... a possible sign of a problem with moving a product. May want to try Smoktech or Ikenvape. The problem with the Ikenvapes is hey are always sold out it seems.

Just my two cents

All heads that came with 2of my protank kits registered at 1.9. At first I thought I was tripping or my itaste wasnt reading properly. But tested on another more expensive ohms reader got the same. Was not a mad at all :p I got an air flow restrictor for the pro tank isnt hrre yet, but the airy draw isnt bad, I'm actually preferring it with some flavors.

Yea those ibtanked tanks are pretty sweet for the money. I like a good carto tank. Just a lot easier if a head dies in a protank just replace it whereas a carto tank kinda need to pour it into a holding container to replace the carto. Kind of a pain but very doable, wastes some juice.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
After you fill the tank, drop 3 drops on the Raven Coil. One or two primer puffs, and you're good to go. Hope you like it, as I recommended it to you :)

Hey Cookster. I gave the Raven a go last night. Used it for 2 hours, and gave up. The problem I'm having is it doesn't seem to wick fast enough for me. I usually take 3 drags one right after the other. The first 2 drags are fine, the 3rd always tastes like a dry hit (blech). If I would let it sit for a minute between drags, things were fine. But when doing back to back hits, I always ended up with a dry hit by the 3rd one.

Does that sound right to you? Is there some trick to making it wick better?

I also couldn't figure out an easy method to refill it. I had to fill/refill 3 times, and each time I ultimately ended up with juice on my hands. Not sure what the fill technique is on these things. Any advice you can give?

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
Hey Cookster. I gave the Raven a go last night. Used it for 2 hours, and gave up. The problem I'm having is it doesn't seem to wick fast enough for me. I usually take 3 drags one right after the other. The first 2 drags are fine, the 3rd always tastes like a dry hit (blech). If I would let it sit for a minute between drags, things were fine. But when doing back to back hits, I always ended up with a dry hit by the 3rd one.

Does that sound right to you? Is there some trick to making it wick better?

I also couldn't figure out an easy method to refill it. I had to fill/refill 3 times, and each time I ultimately ended up with juice on my hands. Not sure what the fill technique is on these things. Any advice you can give?

Crap! Sorry you had a bad experience :(
Take a couple of dry pulls before your triple hit.
As for refilling, I use a tank tool to fill the tank, then 3 drops on the Raven coil. Here's a pic of the tank tool...

tank tool.jpg

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Yeah, I started doing dry pulls to fix the issue. Then next thing I know it was gurgling- juice got down inside the connection so I had to clean out the PV connection. I found the Raven was a warmer vape (which I prefer) than the ProTank 2. But the Raven just seems finicky.

What does that tank tool do? Is that just to push the carto down? Or does it aid in filling in some way?

Cookster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2011
Fla-De-Da
Yeah, I started doing dry pulls to fix the issue. Then next thing I know it was gurgling- juice got down inside the connection so I had to clean out the PV connection. I found the Raven was a warmer vape (which I prefer) than the ProTank 2. But the Raven just seems finicky.

What does that tank tool do? Is that just to push the carto down? Or does it aid in filling in some way?

You attach the tool to the carto, slide it into the tank, and pour liquid down the side of the tool to fill the tank. Then push the carto all the way up, remove the tool and replace it with a drip tip, and you're good to go. It saves wear and tear on the tank's o-rings also.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
You attach the tool to the carto, slide it into the tank, and pour liquid down the side of the tool to fill the tank. Then push the carto all the way up, remove the tool and replace it with a drip tip, and you're good to go. It saves wear and tear on the tank's o-rings also.

AH, Yeah, that would help ALOT with the Raven

I don't think he needs the tool, his tank has fill hole with a screw. I could be wrong but I recall he had a tank like that.

You are correct- the carto tank I use has a fill hole. But I'm trying out a couple other tanks right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread