Sick of carto tank, need something else- ideas please

Status
Not open for further replies.

X6X8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, Tx, USA
I'm using a Kamry X8 tank. I like the tank because it has a screw in a fill hole at the top of the tank, and a screw on the side to lock onto the cartomizer. It came with a non-flanged, single hole, single coil, Boge 2.4 ohm cartomizer, 35mm long. I didn't like the no flange feature, so I switched later to a Smoktech FLANGED, two hole, single coil, 2.5 ohm, 45mm long (Just to raise the drip tip a little more). I'm happy with this setup.

X6X8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Paris, Tx, USA
Speaking of cartomizers.. I wondered if I could rinse out and reuse cartos when they begin to have a harder draw (I'm guessing from old liquid drying or "gelling"?). Anyway, I tried it on a few used cartos and it worked fine. I help them open end up against the screen on my sink faucet and ran warm water through them until water started spraying out the holes in the side of the carto. Then slung out as much water as I could, and let them set at an angle, with the open end down, for a day or so. I have since used these cartos again, and they work just fine, and the easy draw is back again. I suppose you can use a carto until the coil actually burns out??..

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
I have been vaping for a little over 2 weeks.
I started with an Ismoka Mini BBC, but wanted more flavor, and was led to buy a cartomizer system.
I like the taste much more, but they are problematic.
I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally popped the tank up only to have the eliquid spill out. I have gone thru a lot of fluid waste this past week.
The other issue with cartomizers over BBC systems is that you can't just change flavors without changing out the cartomizer too. Unless you are ok with a mixed taste for a while.

I currently only smoke 2 flavors, so I use the catomizer for day use with 1 flavor, and use the BBC at night with a dessert flavor.
Just my 2 cents.

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Bernie, not sure what type of carto tank you have, but you won't have the sliding or spilling issues with Ibtanked. I have 6 of those tanks and in the last 2 months I have used them, not 1 issue. Best tank value for the money in my opinion.

I honestly do not know what type of tank it is. I don't think it has a brand name. The vape store I went in just called it a DCC tank (Dual Coil Cartomizer?) It was cheap. 10 bucks. Plastic tank and the end caps are removable.

Here are the issues I have come across with the cartomizer tank I have.

The tank and the cartomizer are seperate parts that do not attach or lock to each other. My tank has a slot at the bottom where a cartomizer with a flange can mate, which does help with screwing the cartomizer onto the battery by spinning the tank, but it does nothing to prevent pulling the tank all the way off the top and causing a spill.

I have tried cartomizers with the flange and without, and I like to ones without the flange best. ( I know, I know, one is a "Boge style and I don't yet know what the other one is called, or which is which)(I am a noob) But the ones without the flange are especially prone to accidents. The stupid thing I have done a couple times this week is taking the assembly off my battery with the drip tip still in the carto, and when pulling it off, it pulls the carto up and opens the bottom of the tank, and spilling. Ugh.

After doing this a few times, I have learned not to do that!

The other weird thing that happens is, I sometimes blow into the drip tip to help prime the carto, and eLiquid pumps out the little air holes at the bottom and runs down the battery (Ego-c Twist, with a ring to make it look better matched with the size of the carto tank)

I guess that it takes a while to become familiar and comfortable with how cartos/tanks work together.

I haven't had a spill in a few days now :)

I looked at the Ibtanked website and I don't see exactly how this tank is much different in regards to those 2 issues. Is there something I missed in the design of the Ibtanked tank?

Are there carto tanks that address these issues?

4mehealth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2011
canada
Can I ask the op what juice are you vaping?

With light colored/ clear juice, my cartos will last me anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. I'm using the Little Mama tank. Punching my own holes with a saddle valve. I punch 8 holes (staggered) and I use the carto tank tool.

Maybe by using that fill screw your driving juice into the carto and causing flooding?
Just a suggestion on your fill method. Before I used the carto tool, they wouldn't last me a week.

I'm using Boge SR cartos.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4

STLJohnny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
MO
This is what Im doing and keep in mind this is coming from a relatively new carto tank user.
I bought un flanged boge SR carts from Hossier Vapes 1 hole but they are large.
I have a Bella which is my easiest to maintain but its pricey. I use a clear 65pg jucie. I use a tool to put in a new cart but to fill I just wait until its below the hole and then I just pull the top off and fill right from the bottle.
I have an AGR with Bobas in it same type cart but twice a day I take out the fill screw take two pulls and it re saturates the cart without flooding.
I have another AGR with 65pg juice same carto and I can refill from the screw hole with a needle tip as needed.

The one thing I take my time with is priming well but not flooding from the get go.
I use the tool to install and remove the carts whenever needed.
I pretty much just followed Batitudes recommendations and they work well. I'll be trying an IBTanked as he recommends those as too.
But for the most part what I have is working well and until I get the hang of it I have taken my time to try and repeat the process the same each time the best I can.

New2vaps

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
USA
When you buy tank you are essentially buying the end caps. The glass tank it's self is about $5. The cost of the tank is in the stainless steel end caps. In general your good tanks will be $25 and above. The reason recommend ibtank to you is because you will not have carto sliding issues. The end caps are well made and the o rings are nice and tight. As for me I prefer flanged cartos and use smoktech cartos.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Can I ask the op what juice are you vaping?

With light colored/ clear juice, my cartos will last me anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. I'm using the Little Mama tank. Punching my own holes with a saddle valve. I punch 8 holes (staggered) and I use the carto tank tool.

Maybe by using that fill screw your driving juice into the carto and causing flooding?
Just a suggestion on your fill method. Before I used the carto tool, they wouldn't last me a week.

I'm using Boge SR cartos.

My Juice is KVS OMFG Tobacco. It is a light colored juice.

As far as filling- I use a needle tip on my bottle, so that air is able to escape as I'm filling. This way there is no way it is forcing juice in.

My wife vapes caramel tobacco, and experiences the exact same issue.

Oh well, I've just resigned myself to swapping cartos every 3-4 days. Between the 2 of us, we go thru a lot of cartos in a month LOL. But at least I have finally found a place selling pre-punched cartos with a hole that doesn't need re-punching for it to work properly.

I'm beginning to suspect that it's the amount of vaping I do. I have a 3mil tank that I refill 4 times a day. So that's 12-16 mil per day running thru that carto.

Last edited:

4mehealth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2011
canada
Well there's the issue. I can get around 10 tanks before the carto goes wonky. I expect it to go around 8 but cheapo me keeps trying to make it last.

Perhaps you should look at a genesis atty. Might last you longer. Sorry. I can't be of much help to you. Have you tried boiling them when they're done? I recall seeing something about that. But that was a long time ago.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Sugar Land, TX
Well there's the issue. I can get around 10 tanks before the carto goes wonky. I expect it to go around 8 but cheapo me keeps trying to make it last.

Perhaps you should look at a genesis atty. Might last you longer. Sorry. I can't be of much help to you. Have you tried boiling them when they're done? I recall seeing something about that. But that was a long time ago.

10 tanks huh? I've never actually counted my tanks. But yeah, figuring 4 refills per day, and a carto typically lasts 3 days. It makes sense that I'm getting about 10 tanks thru it before it goes bad. Good point

Not gonna bother cleaning carts. I have very hard water where I live. I imagine I would end up with a lot of calcium deposits in the carto.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I'm using a Kamry X8 tank. I like the tank because it has a screw in a fill hole at the top of the tank, and a screw on the side to lock onto the cartomizer. It came with a non-flanged, single hole, single coil, Boge 2.4 ohm cartomizer, 35mm long. I didn't like the no flange feature, so I switched later to a Smoktech FLANGED, two hole, single coil, 2.5 ohm, 45mm long (Just to raise the drip tip a little more). I'm happy with this setup.

I did the same thing. The new ones don't come with the extra screw and the 45mm flanged carto removes the need for the lower set screw. Its just long enough i can tighten by grabbing the carto instead of the tank and it wont slide don't too far accidentally. TH is pretty stiff though if you use a dual coil carto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread