Sidesho with cart mod rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maegif

Nov 9, 2009
Auburn, GA
I got my very first e-cigarette on Thursday. The sidesho is beautiful, it feels great in the hand and it's a solid unit. Tony's customer service is impeccable. I had a question about using it and he called me back quickly to help me out. I was having to drip to get good throat hit and vapor and was a little down because I was still needing analogs a few times a day. I found this mod for the carts using a spring (I put mine in vertical). It keeps the filter at the top so it doesn't get pushed down in the cart. Now I'm chain vaping like a champ. Totally changed the whole vaping experience. I am getting great vapor and flavor that's even better than dripping! Try this simple mod- I can't post links yet so remove the spaces or search the forum for adp mod.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/experiments-equipment/46125-i-call-adp-mod-auto-drip-mod.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4u_iEk9cw

I love the sidesho. Within 25 minutes of placing my order I had the tracking # emailed to me. The unit shipped the same day via priority mail. The hardest part of all was that I was so excited and expecting it in 2 days. I couldn't sleep Tuesday night thinking about it. Then I looked at the calendar and realized it was Veteran's Day so there would be no mail delivery. On Thursday I kept listening for the mail to come and ran down to the mailbox to get my new sidesho.
Right out of the box everything was top-notch. The packaging is functional and slick. Tony threw in some freebies, extra empty carts, cart plugs, and a usb charger. I charged everything and read the manual and tips and tricks. The first pull had great vapor. Then I realized I had an empty cart. I slid on a prefilled tobacco cart and started vaping. I noticed that the vapor was almost non-existant. I was only able to get decent vapor from dripping directly on the atomizer. After putting a couple of drops on the atomizer I could pull for about one cigarettes worth of puffs before needing to drip again. This was okay as it let my know when I had finished a cig, but I knew I needed an option for driving. Just as I was about to head to the pet store to get some of the fish filter material to try I found the cart mod with the spring. Genius!
The sidesho is fantastic. It's my new constant companion and I really can put the analogs away for good after a 20 year habit. YES! Vaping is wonderful! I recommend the sidesho and I definitely recommend Modern Vapor!

Last edited by a moderator:

maegif

Nov 9, 2009
Auburn, GA
I tried this today with coffee stirrer straws and it works just as well as the spring. I had to use 2 straws to go down into the little split section of the cartridge. The straws are a little easier to cut and insert than the spring. I kept shooting my spring across the room. Just cut the straws to 1/2" put in juice and stuff the polyfill on top. Only need about 1/3 of the original polyfill that comes in the blank carts. Still loving my sidesho!

maegif

Nov 9, 2009
Auburn, GA
did you put the spring in sideways? or right side up?
So far the straw mod works like a champ, but because of that pesky divider at the bottom I can only get about half the juice out.

I put the spring in right side up or vertical (0) so when you look into the cart you see right down through the center hole of the spring. It works better than horizontal because it doesn't slip down into the cart. I tried horizontal (^^) where you see the loops when you look in the cart. It gets pushed down in the cart that way and doesn't hold the filler material at the top, which is the whole point. I found some straw style (round) stirrers today and cut them down 1/2 inch. It took 2 straws, one slips into each side of the divider. It works just as well as the vertical spring and doesn't go shooting across the room when you try to cut it or pull it out. I'm getting all the juice out of my carts this way. I also tired the buff puff material as filler instead of the polyfill and I'm not getting any juice in my mouth. I was getting a little juice sometimes with the polyfill. I am able to vape all the way until it's dry with the buff puff material.

Let me know if this works for you.

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
You don't get any leakage?

I'm kind of curious why you would use a straw for this mod? I thought the point of the spring was just to keep the polyfill at the top of the cart?

Why would you need two straws in that case?

I could see with a straw mod, using two straws (the whole point being to use the straw to suck in when you hit it, and let out air when you fill it), but in this mod, wouldn't you be using the straw for totally different reasons (as a way to hold up the polyfill) and one would suffice?

So I've been ableto get that divider out of the cart rather easily. I found that it wasn't attached on the bottom, just the two sides. I used an exacto knife, I placed the blade right above the divider on the flat side of the cart and just piveted it up, It snaped that side clean off. Then I got some very thin pliers, grabbed the divider and wiggled for a few seconds and it popped right out. Now the straw mod should work a lot better, and no need to use two.

maegif

Nov 9, 2009
Auburn, GA
Good to know that divider can come out. I'll have to try that because it is annoying. The only real purpose I could see for that is if it were taller to act as a support for the filter material. Buff puff is a name brand facial sponge that someone in the mod forum recommended. I tried it and found that the original poly works better. I was not getting good wicking from the buff puff and it was leaving strings on my atty.

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
I read this and removed the divider in a couple of my carts. I have to say it wasn't as easy Kyivish made it seem (its very possible Kyivish might have had better tools then me. I didn't have needle nose pliers small enough so I used a really small flathead screw driver, think glasses size, and a pair of tweezers), but I have to admit, it makes doing cart mods on this sucker a LOT easier, and seems I could throw in a extra drop or two, which doesn't hurt.

maegif

Nov 9, 2009
Auburn, GA
Hey neonerz. I wasn't able to get the divider out. My exacto knife was not as small and I was afraid if I kept trying I would be minus a portion of my finger. I've gone back to the blue foam (marineland rite size u bonded foam) and cut it to 1/2" by 1/4" (after trying a bunch of different sizes). The straws ended up being a major pain and not letting me get all my liquid out and the spring kept pulling the poly down into the spring towards the bottom. There is probably a different spring size I could use or something, but the fish filter seemed easier so I kept playing until I got the best hit, flavor, and longevity. Let me know if you find something that seems to work particularly well with the sidesho carts.

neonerz

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2009
watchreadvape.com
The way I got the divider out is I grabbed a mini flathead screw driver (the size you'd use for glasses or computer components) and a pair of tweezers (again the type you'd use for computer components, something like this http://www.onestopdiyshop.com/product_images/h/tweezers1__68185.jpg).

I worked at the divider first on the flat side of the cart with the screw driver. Once that was broken, I used the tweezer to twist back and forth on the divider stopping every now and then to work at it with the screw driver. Eventually I was able to just pull out the divider with the tweezers.

I'm sure if I had some needle nose pliers that were small enough, it would of been a lot easier.

As far as the cart mod. I haven't tried the fluval yet (I do plan on picking some up soon, but have been busy trying my hand at some DIY juice and making a USB passthrough), but I swear by the PTB mod, and removing the divider has made it 10x easier to do, and seems to work better.

lager478

Dec 30, 2009
Jacksonville FL
I am a fairly new vaper, just got my sidesho about 2 1/2 weeks ago. So far Ive loved it, but I have to say I am interested in the 902. From what I hear the parts are interchangeable (interested in the 902 stlye mouthpeice), but can u fit 902 parts in a sidesho PCC?

Anyway on to the topic at hand. I just tried the spring mod with a few minor changes and I am very pleased. I wasnt quite getting the size hits I wanted and wanted to try something to remedy this. I used a knife to make the bottom hole on the mouth piece a bit bigger (didnt make much of a difference but I did notice a slight improvement in the draw). I used a spring from a pen that was much fatter than the one depicted in the video and installed it horizontally in the cart (didnt remove the divider tho). The fatter spring seems to work great and doesnt pull down the poly (i used about 1/2 of the poly in a regular cart). I am definetly impressed and got what i was after = bigger hits. I seemed to run through my juice a bit faster though, however I had no leakage out of the mouth piece. On an negative note, it does seem like it might leak towards the battery a little more, so I made sure to clean my contact points after using it. My cart lasted about 30 minutes of consistent vaping. :D

GS850GX

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
You should definitely check out the 902. Using my favorite cart mod I have to say the vapor production is as good as the sidesho and it holds three times the amount of juice! I can vape all day on one of these.
The draw is light and smooth just like the Sidesho and a slow gentle drag is all that is needed to produce a cloud of flavorful vapor.

The battery and cart are a little wider in diameter than the sidesho but I have successfully used my Sidesho batteries on the 902, however the Sidesho PCC will not work with the 902.

I'll be writing a comparo of the Sidesho, the new 902, and my recent experience with the Vapor King from V4L soon. I have been disappointed with the Vapor King and will go into further detail in that post, but for now, Modern Vapor has the by far the more satisfying vape! IMO

kaeo773

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Chicago USA
www.modernvapor.com
I should have the new 902 up on the site tomorrow, the carts can hold close to a full ml of juice. The new 902 manual PCC is great, you don't need to screw the batteries into the PCC anymore, all you need to do is push it down to charge.

The new PCC is compatible with the original 902, and (j118-VX2). The new PCC has slots cut out to hold a manual battery, as the older PCC could not hold/charge a manual battery.

Chefdeuce

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Green Bay WI
I took me forever to get the divider out, (once again probally not the right tools)
Got two of them out and did the straw mod and the blue foam.
Then my buddy gets his sidesho in the mail. I go to show him how to take the divider out, and wouldn't you know it no divider. I died a little inside.
Anyway has anybody else found these carts! They were prefills.
I would love to get my hands on a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread