Single coil, or Dual coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlash

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
WA, USA
So I'm fairly new to vaping, and have tried just about every clearomizer/tank/etc out there. :facepalm:

When I first saw someone mention the IBTanked tank and I scoffed at the $26+ price tag. Here I am buying $5-9 crap and thinking that anyone that pays that much for a tank is just stupid.

I now have 5 IBTanked tanks.. :D
And plan to replace pretty much all my stuff with more.. keep a few of the cheap ones for new flavors though.

So my big question is what cartos do you put in your tanks?
Just doing a little searching it seems everyone sticks to single coils? The brands/models I see mentioned in here look to all be single coils.

Any issues with dual coils? Whats the difference? Just preference?

Locally I can get dual coil smoks reasonable, but I don't see any single coil (at least I haven't seen any yet)
I have an online vendor I can also get dual coils to add to my order (free shipping)
I'm using the Smok 2.0 single coil now from IBTanked which work great so far.

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
Hai 5x stoopiD :D

Lol, just pullin your chain of course but got a good chuckle from your post so did The Mrs. Love seein these comments because its the same way we feel. Get down to the economics of things and thats just the way it gonna be for a product of this caliber. Believe me we have worked every angle on pricing and this is where it is. There have been some who sold a tank for less and now they are gone, there are those who sell them for much more too but we are concentrated on the masses, we work hard and smart to keep ourselves in the position of being able to scale and make a dollar so the bills keep gettin paid. No one gettin rich here, thing is thats not what we are after. We are building a company that we hope will be a legacy to hand down to our kids one of which is a principle in the corporation (The Offspring). Short of our modest salaries everything that IBTanked, Inc. makes goes back into new products for vapers, quality products at affordable prices.

Sorry about that, prolly more than you wanted :D I just like to try and share our philosophy and reasoning behind how we do things.

On your question, DCs have one coil down low and one up high in the filler. When you are using a tanked cartomizer the liquid level will vary depending on conditions. Too high in the cartomizer and it will begin to flood and too low it will burn. With a DC and that high coil you are limiting the amount of range this level can vary because the liquid has to stay all the way near the top of the filler. This just gives you a greater chance of a cartomizer running lean (at the top coil) then burning because there is no fluid there to take that energy and transform it into vapor.

So a long time ago we settled on the single coils, this is all we sell. We have had great consistency and support from our vendor and have stuck with them. Some like other brands and you know this is strictly a personal choice, it is based entirely on ones wants and expectations from their own vaping experience so being personal is bound to be different for each person.

Best thing I can tell you is to try as many different cartomizers as you can find. They are about a cheap as you can get so a little experimentation wont hurt too much. Pay attention to things like how long they last and the experience you get from using them and when you find what you like support the vendor that provides them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Duel Coil Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg

Cross-section diagrams of dual coil and single coil cartomizers (click images to enlarge). Notice that the upper coil is above the wick hole in the dual coil, probably allowing the wick around that top coil to become dry enough to singe or burn the filler.

I agree totally with OCD. I began my venture with cartotanks using dual coil cartos in the early Smoktech DCT models. It's what came supplied with the tanks, so I assumed that's what were needed.

Then I began noticing that after a day or two I was getting a burnt taste. I did some research and found that most people were using single coil cartos in their DCT tanks.

I decided to try some single coils, and low & behold I very rarely got that burnt taste again. I figured out the explanation that OCD just provided and it makes a lot of sense.

IMHO, dual coil cartos were a good idea on paper, but it never worked out pratically speaking. I find it interesting that the only manufacturer of dual coils is the original manufacturer - Smoktech. Boge, Ikenvape, and Kanger have never made a dual coil carto.

Last edited:

OCD

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2012
California, Kern
www.ibtanked.com
I believe dual coils had a use it just didnt transfer over well once cartomizers were tanked Bad. As a cartomizer that is constantly being topped up it works well, you would have to top it up more often than a single coil but think of the folks who were coming from cartridges and dripping atomizers looking for something that had a little more gas to it.

Once the tanks took over it was game over the the DC cartomizers but they never went away. I know there are some who prefer the vape from them but I have never gotten one to last anywhere near as long as a SC in a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread