Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well, first full day of vaping on my new Cylon is under my belt.
TC using TCR is absolutely accurate. By that I mean, when I set a temp it goes up to the temp and stay there. No idea if it is the temp I set, but as long as it feels like my usual vapor, it's gotta be close, I have only used my SS430 in TC for quite a while.
This mod is extremely good at reading resistance of coils, in fact, it is one of the few that gets it exactly right and stays there. In TC, even a 0.02 difference is a big change in my vapor.
I started with a pair of HG2s and finally changed them out when the battery gauge showed one segment. That was all day vaping from one pair of batteries. I wonder if the cutoff has changed. I'll have to run completely out and see what the charger says.
I'm SO happy with this mod!
Hopefully it has broken my string of new mods that have issues of one sort or another.
Are you locking the resistance on your Cylon?

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Are you locking the resistance on your Cylon?
No, I have not. Hangover from my DNA experience where TC and locked resistance are not recommended.
On the Cylon, I haven't had reason to lock the resistance as it provides just the vape I expect from hit to hit.

On a different note, I allowed the batteries to run down to the Check Battery notice flashing. As the manual says, the batteries were each at 3.2V when put on the charger.

Perhaps next tank swap, I'll lock resistance and see what difference it makes, if any.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
No, I have not. Hangover from my DNA experience where TC and locked resistance are not recommended.
On the Cylon, I haven't had reason to lock the resistance as it provides just the vape I expect from hit to hit.

On a different note, I allowed the batteries to run down to the Check Battery notice flashing. As the manual says, the batteries were each at 3.2V when put on the charger.

Perhaps next tank swap, I'll lock resistance and see what difference it makes, if any.
Yea I was getting a good vape from tc yesterday and then today I switched some stuff and locked the resistance. I didn’t like the vape, it was too soft and underpowered and I tried changing the tcr to no avail. I’ve never locked resistance before but people claimed you should and I seen the Cylon had it so...well you get it. Anyway if you try it let me know how it works for you. I don’t know if that was the culprit or I was doing something else. I’ve been using the watt curve which I enjoy on this and what I used on the TS.

caferacer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2015
Los Angeles
Mine came in last week. I got the tarnish version and it's absolutely fabulous. The build quality is much higher than I'd anticipated and it fires like a champ. It's been a while since I purchased a new dual 18650 mod (been using an old Sigelei 100 for the past several years) and the Cylon has exceeded all of my expectations. I'm a very happy customer. :D

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well that settles it, time to start a Smoant fan club. We will have to take a vote for a board of trustees because I think we should keep this democratic. I’m all ears for any ideas on how this should be run and when to hold the vote. I’m only half kidding because I do love their products but it’s great to hear everyone is loving their Cylon. Although we are still waiting for a certain @Letitia to give her initial impression of the Cylon. I hope she’s as stoked as the rest of us and enjoying her new mod.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My newest darling was waiting for me when I got home. Threw the Fireluke on her and fired her up. She is quite feisty and hits hard and fast. Love it already. Took me few minutes to figure out how to hold it, actually is more comfortable for me to thumb fire it. Almost didn't dawn on me to even try.:lol: Love the finishes (tarnish my ...., it's gunmetal!) the stamped leather gives you a nice grip, especially if you finger fire it. Battery door is solid; fire button on mine only fires top and middle, not bottom. Not a deal breaker for me thankfully. overall very happy, will put it thru its paces in a couple of days.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
. I’ve never locked resistance before but people claimed you should and I seen the Cylon had it so...well you get it. Anyway if you try it let me know how it works for you.
I locked resistance for a few hours and found that I didn’t like the vape. Seemed a little weak. Unlocked and all is well.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I locked resistance for a few hours and found that I didn’t like the vape. Seemed a little weak. Unlocked and all is well.
Ok thanks for the confirmation. I never even thought about it but going through the manual I see you can lock resistance. Having read a little on the subject and understanding why locking it makes sense I figured I’d give it a try. Weak and light, just unlocking the res. and goes back to normal. Just strange because the ohm didn’t change so the vape should of been the same. Oh well works well the old way so I’ll stay away from the lock and enjoy tc with unabated ohms.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
Ok thanks for the confirmation. I never even thought about it but going through the manual I see you can lock resistance. Having read a little on the subject and understanding why locking it makes sense I figured I’d give it a try. Weak and light, just unlocking the res. and goes back to normal. Just strange because the ohm didn’t change so the vape should of been the same. Oh well works well the old way so I’ll stay away from the lock and enjoy tc with unabated ohms.

Locking the resistance in tc mode will cause the watts setting to have a much greater effect for ramp up. If you are getting a weaker vape when you are in tc mode and you lock the resistance try upping the wattage setting for your tc mode.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Locking the resistance in tc mode will cause the watts setting to have a much greater effect for ramp up. If you are getting a weaker vape when you are in tc mode and you lock the resistance try upping the wattage setting for your tc mode.
I tried that also but then it would hit hard for a second then go weak. It wasn’t smooth nor enjoyable. Without it locked I got a smooth enjoyable pull. Maybe because I’m used to setting up tc without it locked but it seemed like something else. Again it works fine when not locked so it’s not a problem. Also i have the watt curve setup perfect so I’ve just been using that for now.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I tried that also but then it would hit hard for a second then go weak. It wasn’t smooth nor enjoyable. Without it locked I got a smooth enjoyable pull. Maybe because I’m used to setting up tc without it locked but it seemed like something else. Again it works fine when not locked so it’s not a problem. Also i have the watt curve setup perfect so I’ve just been using that for now.

May I ask what atomizer you are using? Is it an rta? If so does it have single or double coil? What wire are you using (316L??).

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Or, just leave it unlocked.
On my Aromamizer Plus, using SS430 coming in at .36 for the pair, I find 430F at 75W to be the same as other mods.
So, why lock it?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You talked me into it. Now to decide if I order domestically or a slow boat FT approach will be tolerable.
Did you look to see if black/silver is released yet? The tarnish is attractive, it's actually a darkish gunmetal. I know you love your black but the solid black is a bit boring to me. Not handsome like Therion all black.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
May I ask what atomizer you are using? Is it an rta? If so does it have single or double coil? What wire are you using (316L??).
It’s the crown factory coils .5 dual ss coils. I’ve used these tc with other devices never locking res. without issue. There’s been debate over the steel and if the legs are different metal. I dunno the answer but 105 tcr works for me.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Did you look to see if black/silver is released yet? The tarnish is attractive, it's actually a darkish gunmetal. I know you love your black but the solid black is a bit boring to me. Not handsome like Therion all black.
Agree 100%

The tarnish looks much nicer than all black in my opinion. Boring is a perfect way to describe the all black.

Same mod of course, but the contrasing features on the tarnish really make the details stand out. Looks like a pricy mod.

I can't wait for the silver/black to be available. I've been watching for it, hopefully they release it soon.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
It’s the crown factory coils .5 dual ss coils. I’ve used these tc with other devices never locking res. without issue. There’s been debate over the steel and if the legs are different metal. I dunno the answer but 105 tcr works for me.

Now I understand your situation. I own two of those original Crown tanks and somewhere I have boxes of those coils. I retired mine but it is a really great tank, one of the classics for use with stock coils. I also recall the issues with tc and that tank. When I used it with tc I also discovered that 105 tcr worked best. I did lock resistance but was using other mods at the time ( I think it was my RX2/3's). Much has been written about how picky that tank is with tc so no point in rehashing it here.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
You talked me into it. Now to decide if I order domestically or a slow boat FT approach will be tolerable.
Mine came from 3fvape in about 6 days. I was impressed at how fast it arrived.
Cheapest price at the time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread