SMOK Al85 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdp68121

Dec 13, 2017
i just bought this vape tonight. I’ve used other capes before but nothing with messing with so many settings as this one. Only with wattage on the others I’ve used. When I first opened this guy I did my usual prepping of the coil, etc. but when I tried to take my first hit, it’s not firing at all. I’ve changed coils, messed with settings, cleaned it, done every part of troubleshooting I can think of and it’s still not firing. It’s also now saying “check battery.” Is the battery faulty? Does the battery half to COMPLETELY charged to fire? I’m stuck. Help me. Becoming more and more frustrated by the minute. This is why I always end up back with a cigarette in my hand, these things can be so confusing. I know I wrote a lot, I’m sorry. Lol just wanna understand this thing better to prevent future run ins like this. I really wanna quit smoking cigarettes. Any help/tips for future would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!!!

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
If it's saying check battery, that's a good place to start. If you have a spare battery and it's charged, try that one. Make sure you have the battery installed correctly and the cap finger tight. Does the mod show a charged or partially charged battery? What kind of batteries are you using? When I first started, I bought some cheap batteries (not @Mooch approved) that indicated fully charged on my charger and in my mod but would not fire my tank.

BTW Mooch is the resident expert on all things battery related. Do a search and you'll find his approved battery chart.

I'm sure there will be others along with Al85 experience, so don't give up on quitting yet.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Welcome to the forum @Cdp68121 :)

If you purchased the AL85 locally, I would suggest you take it back to the store. Unfortunately, the error codes thrown up by these modern mods differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. While the AL85 might indicate a battery problem, the cause of the error message could be something else. I don't personally own that mod, so I can't really help you. However, just for your safety, you should be very careful with any mod that indicates a battery problem. These batteries can be very dangerous if they are damaged, especially if they "vent" (think of it as catching on fire or exploding like you've seen on the news).

Hopefully, someone who owns the mod will stop by and be able to help you diagnose the problem. In the meantime, if the battery looks damaged, remove it from the mod, and put it in a plastic or wooden container (not a metal container).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't own this mod, it's certainly possible that it's a mod error. If you have another set of batteries (fully charged, fairly new) I might try those, but if you are still getting the error, it sounds like there may be a lack of contact somewhere electrically in the mod, which can be dangerous to mess around with if you don't have experience with that. If you can take it to a Brick and Mortar store near you (even if you didn't buy the mod there) they may be able to help you figure out the problem. I'm sorry to hear that this is discouraging, but the fact is that a bad mod WILL come along at some point during your vaping experience. I might consider something simpler for the future (or at least as a back up) with an internal battery mod (maybe a tube style, all in one mod) for something simple you can turn to while you are ironing out the kinks with this one.

Every successful vaper needs backups, as equipment does malfunction. Also, it does take time to find the right mod/tank setup for you. When I got here I was using a very cloudy direct lung setup that wasn't working at all. I did NOT let it discourage me and now own many setups that I enjoy and use on a daily basis. So, please don't get discouraged, and even if you need a mod replacement, the Alien may be just the thing for you (even if you have to warranty the first one).

Good luck, and patience. Even if you are smoking some while you are accomplishing this, you can certainly succeed eventually.... :)

Good luck! May your next vape be very satisfying :)

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
1490862159425.jpg

Are you putting the battery in in the proper orientation, positive end down?

What batteries are you using specifically? How old are they? What condition are they in? Any holes or tears of the plastic liner? Any indentations or scorch marks on the ends?

Also, what charger are you using specifically?

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I have an AL85 kit with the Baby Beast and run it around 54 watts. It has been my experience that the AL85 has a higher cut-off, that even though the bar shows half charged, it might not fire at that wattage. Running it around 30 watts and below, it will fire much lower.

Since OP mentioned just receiving the mod (and tank if a kit) and asks if the battery needs to be fully charged, surmising that the purchase was made online including the battery. If so, yes, the battery needs to be fully charged. That is assuming it is a quality, authentic battery.

As others have requested, tell us what battery you are using as well as the tank, coil/ohms, wattage, and anything else that will help us to help you.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I’m not sure which battery it is. I got it at the shop I bought the kit at. How Can I tell what kind of battery it is, and if I need a better one? Also, can someone explain how all these settings work? I’m trying to find the best settings for me. If you guys have any tips that’d be great!

Honestly easiest way to tell you on battery is, take a pic of it and let us see it, or list everything the battery says on it.

For the mod the best/easiest/most accurate way, is to do a YT search of it and see how others are using/setting it up. The other option is to go back to the shop and have them walk you through it, they should be happy to since you bought it from them.

It's really hard to explain about jumping through menus on a mod, seeing it done is a much better way to learn it, same reason most of us hate the manuals (that usually tell very little).

To figure out where to start with watts, use a vaping calculator. In volts enter 4.2 or 3.7, in ohms/resistance enter what the coil resistance is, the calculator will give you wattage. That should give you a cooler starter setting, then bump up or down the wattage to your liking.

For Temp control, I can't help as I don't use it.
EDIT: On my tank Atlantis V2 - I'm running at 30-40 watts with a .4 Ohm coil, some people run higher, some lower.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I’m not sure which battery it is. I got it at the shop I bought the kit at. How Can I tell what kind of battery it is, and if I need a better one? Also, can someone explain how all these settings work? I’m trying to find the best settings for me. If you guys have any tips that’d be great!
Your choice in batteries is the most important decision that you can make. There are but a few brands that you can trust their specifications. AW, LG, Samsung, and Sony are the best 18650 batteries available. Nearly all of the other brands are inferior rewraps who inflate their ratings.

I also recommend that you invest in a decent, quality charger. Good batteries deserve a good charger. The Efest LUC V2 or V2 are inexpensive and fit into that category.
To find the best settings on a regulated mod, first try to find the recommended wattage range by the coil manufacturer. You'll find this on the coil package, instruction page, the coil itself, or on the coil manufacturer website. Then make sure that you properly "prime" a new coil before you put it into the tank or fire it on the mod. Finally, start in the lower recommended wattage range which you researched and gradually in small steps increase the wattage until the vape becomes too hot or distasteful. Back it down a bit more. That should be the correct setting.

Different coils and tanks may need a different power setting. Always use the above procedure with a different coil or tank. You may find that different flavors taste better with a different power setting using the same coil/tank.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Your Smok failure could be caused by many different problems.
Could contact:
Where sold B&M Vape Shop (Visit) -----Might be simple.
re:
SMOK --->SMOKTech
email: support@smoktech.com
ECF Smok dealer: VapeSourcing
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/verashu.262193/#profile-post-71627

Could see CoastalCowboy's comments.
Re: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/smok-qbox.831267/#post-20080501

Cdp68121

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks guys for all the help! I charged it and it worked fine, but today while at work it stopped firing again when the battery is shown to be about 3/4 charged. I’m assuming this battery just sucks. It shouldn’t be not firing if it’s not almost dead. It has plenty of charge. Is it just a crap battery? I’ll post a pic. But it doesn’t have a brand on it just some numbers.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
That looks to be an LG HG2 20A battery and even if it is an authentic, you are pushing its limits if approaching 60 watts on any single 18650 mod. As it drains, the battery is less likely to be able to provide enough power to provide the wattage requested. Just as a test, when it says "check battery", try turning down the watts by 20 or so and see if it fires then. To be clear, I am not suggesting this as a regular solution! If you are running it at or under 35 watts, I would be more inclined to think you have something other then an authentic LG or they accidently gave you an older battery. You might take it back to the shop and ask them to check it for you.

It may just be the nature of the beast, battery life on a single 18650 mod running at 50+ watts. I like my AL85, but due to the tank size and limited battery life, it is only used at home or on short trips out. Otherwise, I go with a dual 18650 mod. Besides checking in with the shop you got it from, the only other solution might be to buy another battery (maybe even a 25amp, but giving up mah rating) from an authorized seller and see if it lasts longer. Even if it doesn't, get a carrying case with it so you can carry it to switch out when needed.

If you want to extend battery life a bit, shorten the screen timeout and lower the contrast a bit. I have screen time at 30 seconds and contrast a 70%.....don't remember what factory settings were. I am testing mine right now with a T8 coil (0.15Ω) at 54 watts with a 1 year old LG HG2 battery showing just under 50% (keep in mind, that is just a gauge) and amps showing at 17 to 18 and it is still firing. But I expect the "check battery" message at any time now.

IMHO, if you are running the tank at 50+ watts, see if the shop will swap it out for a dual 18650 mod and you should be good to go. I prefer carrying that extra battery in a mod rather then a protective case.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Follow-up to my above post:

With the above settings, the AL85 fired fine down to the bar showing about 25%. At that time, I changed the "hit" from "N" normal to "H" hard. It continued to fire down to 20% or perhaps a bit lower, at which time I got the "check battery" message. Changed the pre-heat back to "N" and it worked for just a few hits before the "check battery" message returned. I am surprised I was able to fire it with the battery showing that much drain.

So you might try those settings/adjustments and if that doesn't help, try a good, authentic battery.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread