Smok Alien 220W Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthevariel

Aug 7, 2018
Poeldijk
hi everyone,

yet another new problem to my Alien 220W.

Few days ago it stopped responding to me trying to charge it via USB slot ( says everytime that the voltage is high). I kind of got ...... about it, couldn't have it fixed so I bought external charger to my batteries.

Now new issue popped out, very first day after I finally manage to have it work.
First of all sometimes it fires up and it doesn't stop (made me burn 2 coils already)
Secondly, it shows me all the time like one of my batteries is being charged (goes up and down) and it does it no matter what kind of setup I do with my batteries (got 4 the same ones so it's not battery issue because I tried them all) and it also doesn't want to turn on now and then when I take batteries out (cuz that is the only way I can stop the mod from firing and burning my coil in total)

Anyone had some similar issue?
I was trying to factory reset but it doesn't even show up when I try to do it

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
if you can

try to find a 'gtrs vboy 200watt version#3

these things are cheap and tbh good my dna250 died and got another vboy200w to pass the time till i found a dnaC mod

these are a cheap budget mod great chip,color screen and fat rather than thin feels really good in the hand a 30mm rda tank etc look the tiets on these

almost forgot i payed £40 GBP for it delivered and a get a silicone Case for it
it's a little flakie too but these mods with a case($3) plus the chip inside these are amazing for the price ;)

200w (58).gif

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Smok has a well earned reputation of flaky unreliable power devices, poor QC and customer support.

Best advice is to start shopping for a new non smok power device.
^ This. :thumb:

"We make cheap. You buy cheap. It break? Buy another." -- SMOK

You bought a bad mod made by a bad company. Cut your losses and buy something not made by SMOK.

Last edited:

Slimjimmy

May 9, 2019
hi everyone,

Few days ago it stopped responding to me trying to charge it via USB slot ( says everytime that the voltage is high). I kind of got ...... about it, couldn't have it fixed so I bought external charger to my batteries.

Now new issue popped out, very first day after I finally manage to have it work.
First of all sometimes it fires up and it doesn't stop (made me burn 2 coils already)
Secondly, it shows me all the time like one of my batteries is being charged (goes up and down) and it does it no matter what kind of setup I do with my batteries (got 4 the same ones so it's not battery issue because I tried them all) and it also doesn't want to turn on now and then when I take batteries out (cuz that is the only way I can stop the mod from firing and burning my coil in total)

Yeah i have the exact same problem but my coil doesn’t have a screw. It just jumps back out when i push it in the designated area.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@Arthevariel, stop using your mod now. With what's happening with it, it's unsafe to use and needs to be disposed of unfortunately.

A cheap good mod I've seen round and could be a possible replacement is the Vsticking VK530 with a YiHi SX530 chipset, it's a good compromise mod, as it has a decent reliable chipset in an reasonable mod housing.
CigaBuy

• Agree
Reactions: Vapedog

basilia

Moved On
May 24, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Arthevariel wrote:
hi everyone,

I have a SMOK 220W and never had issues with it, but I only used it for a short time and stuck it in a box in the closet for future backup and FDA ban insurance.

The first thing I'd check is the batteries you have in it. What brand and type are your cells? Were they purchased at the same time and always used only in the SMOK mod? Dual battery mods like matched cells and can go a little nuts if the cells aren't matched in voltage and current delivery. The Alien is a series mod, so one weak cell can cause all sorts of issues. The circuitry expects to see the full voltage from dual cells. If one is weak and sagging in voltage then all bets are off. You need 20A or higher rated cells. Sony VTC6, Samsung 30Q, or LG HG2 are good choices.

Charging with USB isn't the best method for lithium cells. The USB charge port is there for firmware updates and an occasional touch-up charge if you are away from home with a low battery.

The Efest LUC 4 is a good charger for 18650's. You can buy the 2 bay model for about $16 and the 4 bay version (recommended) for $5 more. It's easy to damage the USB port on a mod using it for charging and once that happens you are also out of luck for firmware updates, since the USB port is where you connect for upgrades.

• Agree
Reactions: sonicbomb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread