Smok alien problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
Hi, ive just joined this forum because im having some issues with my mod and could do with some advice of some experienced people. So, i have a smok alien and have been using it for about 4 months now. It come with a T8 coil in the kit and i found that a much better experience so i started to use them.The problem im having is that lately when im using a fresh coil ive noticed it tastes a little bit burnt but then dies down but i still never really get the fall flavour of the liqiud, its just vaper. Just to mention, i do prime all coils before use. Also, ive noticed the tank gets extremely hot very quickly. Just to see, i put another type of coil in and it worked fine. This made me to believe that the coils i was getting were fake but ive got them from different shops, websites etc so i cant see how im getting all fakes so i dont think its that. Any imput would be great. Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've been using Uwell Crown tanks and coils for the past year, so I can't speak for SMOK. Back in the day, it was commonplace for coil quality control to be pretty much hit or miss. You may have gotten a bad batch.

I will state how important it is to really prime new coils well. With some coils, it may take 1 - 2 tankfuls to break in the coil. Also, when breaking in a new coil, its always a good idea to drop the wattage down about 10 - 20 watts for the first tankful or two. Doing these steps should prolong the life of the coil. I get 3 - 4 weeks use with my Crown coils.

Tanks can get pretty hot, and quickly, especially if you use a high wattage or are a chain vaper.

• Useful

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
I've been using Uwell Crown tanks and coils for the past year, so I can't speak for SMOK. Back in the day, it was commonplace for coil quality control was pretty much hit or miss. You may have gotten a bad batch.

I will state how important it is to really prime new coils. With some coils, it may take 1 - 2 tankfuls to break in the coil. Also, when breaking in a new coil, its always a good idea to drop the wattage down about 10 - 20 watts for the first tankful or two
Hi, thanks for replying. Yeah im doing all this. Im lowering the watts, doing one or two dry pulls to draw liqiud into the wick. Ive tried leaving it for an hour or so to get fully soaked. Its not so much that they are burning out, its that the flavour of the liquids is near on nothing and the tank gets extremely hot to the point where its untouchable...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hmmm. How many watts do you vape at?

I would experiment with using different wattage levels. You just might be vaping too hot (too many watts) so that you don't taste the flavor. Some flavors taste best at a lower wattage, some better at a higher wattage. Fruit flavors in particular taste best at a lower wattage.

Have you used any other tanks other than SMOK? I may be biased, but I've never been a fan of SMOK products.

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
Hmmm. How many watts do you vape at?

I would experiment with using different wattage levels. You just might be vaping too hot (too many watts) so that you don't taste the flavor. Some flavors taste best at a lower wattage, some better at a higher wattage. Fruit flavors in particular taste best at a lower wattage.

Have you used any other tanks other than SMOK? I may be biased, but I've never been a fan of SMOK products.
Im a fan of quite a harsh hit, otherwise it just feels like im inhaling nothing. The coil says its best is between 60-80 watts and im doing 80 watts so nothing extreme. I do mainly use sweet liquids ie friut salad sweets, skittles etc. Would it be to do with the vg pg balance? I mainly use high vg liquids. Might this be to thick to break in a coil i wonder...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Im a fan of quite a harsh hit, otherwise it just feels like im inhaling nothing. The coil says its best is between 60-80 watts and im doing 80 watts so nothing extreme. I do mainly use sweet liquids ie friut salad sweets, skittles etc. Would it be to do with the vg pg balance? I mainly use high vg liquids. Might this be to thick to break in a coil i wonder...
It could. A higher Pg ratio would add to the throat hit and make the liquid less thick and wick the coil easier. Pg is allegedly a better flavor carrier than Vg. So if possible, more Pg might prove benefitual.

• Agree

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I find it odd though that you can get mods that go up to 240 watts. Who even gets close to that!
Nobody that I know of. I can't imagine anyone can taste any flavor at such high wattages. I use a 75 watt mod, but I never go above 40 watts.

Just because someone uses a 240 watt capable mod doesn't mean they vape anywhere near that. Such powerful mods tend to be battery efficient and use multiple batteries simultaneously, so they may get 2 - 3 days on a single charge.

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
Nobody that I know of. I can't imagine anyone can taste any flavor at such high wattages. I use a 75 watt mod, but I never go above 40 watts.

Just because someone uses a 240 watt capable mod doesn't mean they vape anywhere near that. Such powerful mods tend to be battery efficient and use multiple batteries simultaneously, so they may get 2 - 3 days on a single charge.
Knowing what i know now, i would of got a much lower watt mod. Absolutely pointless loading one up with 240

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
It could. A higher Pg ratio would add to the throat hit and make the liquid less thick and wick the coil easier. Pg is allegedly a better flavor carrier than Vg. So if possible, more Pg might prove benefitual.
See, i was told by someone else that the pg is just a throat hitter and the vg holds the flavour. It gets confusing...

• Agree

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
Both my mods can go up to 200+watts. But I vape mainly at 40-50 watts. Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should. I get cars that can go 150 mph, but I drive at 65. =)
I completly agree. I was new to everything when i purchased my mod so i assumed the higher the wattage the better it was...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
See, i was told by someone else that the pg is just a throat hitter and the vg holds the flavour. It gets confusing...
That someone else was misinformed.

PG - throat hit and flavor carrier. Watery consistancy.
Vg - vapor production. Oily consistancy. May be too thick for some coils.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
VG does allow you to stay at a higher nicotine level because there's less throat hit. It is also a better cloud producer and has a sweeter mouthfeel. A little PG is always good for flavor and kick, and not every recipe is purrrrfect at the same ratio.

That just makes it fun to forget your smoking times. You're too busy trying flavors, wattage and PG/VG ratios.

Last edited:

Alien mod

Dec 20, 2017
VG does allow you to stay at a higher nicotine level because there's less throat hit. It is also a better cloud producer and has a sweeter mouthfeel. A little PG is always good for flavor and kick, and not every recipe is purrrrfect at the same ratio.

That just makes it fun to forget your smoking times. You're too busy trying flavors, wattage and PG/VG earios.
Hi, im not to bothered about cloud thickness now. Admittedly at the start i was all about the big clouds but to be honest now its a bit of a hindrance in some situations. Also, im only on 3mg of nicotine so nothing special. I suppose its like what you said, its a case of just finding the right liquid..

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
sweeter juice = coil gunker
also you're pushing the coil at it's limit so it = less lifetime (from smok it's more like practically nothing lol)
Vg/Pg also have a role in that but i doubt it's the case here, btw if you chain vape that could be why it gets hot specially if you're pushing the coil so far.

NB: i use high vg on everything and have been for months now, never had an issue similar to this (although i never really bothered with smok anyway).

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @Alien mod !

I have and use the T8 coils on my Baby tanks, but go nowhere near your 80 watts. Even some juices under 50 watts. I start a new coil out around 40 watts for a few hits, gives little/no flavor or vapor, but helps get them going. Then I up it 4 or 5 watts, taking several hits at each level, until it starts coming in. When it tastes/vapes fine, I may try upping it a couple more watts, but many times back it down where it was. I think the highest I've been happy with was around 60-62 watts. I have no idea how any manufacturer comes up with their "best at" numbers. I prefer to come up with my own, which are around the lower end of their "best at" range.

Don't concern yourself with the high wattage on the mod, just enjoy the longer battery life.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread