Status
Not open for further replies.

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Hey Guys

Just picked up a smok X Priv. I found a cool silicone case on Ebay. It fits great, but it's really snug on the mod. I'm wondering if the mod with the silicone case will still be able to vent freely? What do you think silicone or not?

71JclmOzrNL._SL1000_.jpg

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If your worried about the mods venting holes being covered up, you can always remove some material from the case to expose the ventilation holes.

The best ways I found to do that is to either cut the material out, then melt it on the corners slightly so the silicone does not rip when taking it on and off. Or you could use a wire, like a clothes hanger, and heat up the wire with something like a lighter and poke a few holes through the sicone in the area that covers the ventilation holes. The second option is usually the safest for the case, and if you mess it up you can always do the first option to fix it.

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Appreciate the advice. The X Priv is a little different as there are no vent holes on the bottom of the device. It really depends on venting through the fire button, and the battery door.

There are little gaps throughout, that gas can escape through. I don't anticipate having an issue, but in time I think the silicone will stretch.

The only con of the case is I have to take it off each time I change the batteries. Not a big deal, but that should stretch the silicone over time.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It should vent no problems it's a smok if any mod can do it that one can.

I'd be more perhaps worried about removing any sort of ventilation in the mod (although to be honest, you will still get it, (air I mean) and I've used silicone cases with no issues (although they did allow the vent holes exposure.)

The main thing I guess I'd worry about would be the insulative properties of the silicone, you won't feel batteries heating up as quickly if they start reaching an unsteady state.

This of course all presupposes that you WILL have a problem and provided you are using the appropriate batteries and handle them properly, the likelihood of trouble is pretty close to not much, even with a smok mod. The majority of battery events are user error, not silicone cases. I mean if they were THAT dangerous we'd be hearing about it already.

But, I'm glad you asked and just keep on with safe batteries and enjoy your case and etc.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The only con of the case is I have to take it off each time I change the batteries. Not a big deal, but that should stretch the silicone over time.
I have a Wisemic RX200 whose paint finish began to wear off. I purchased a silicone sleeve for cosmetic purposes, but it was a PITA to remove the sleeve with each battery change (I never charge via USB port). The silicone did not stretch over time. The sleeve did have cutouts in the appropriate places for the USB port and vent holes.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
If you did have a battery in thermal runaway, silicon is not going to stop those gasses escaping. It depends on the design of the sleeve, but if it did cover the vent holes on the mod then just cut a new one in the sleeve.

The best way to avoid this is to observe good battery safety in the first place.

To clarify -

Vent - The non violent release on liquid electrolytes and possibly gas. Sometimes this may not even be noticed until the user removes the batteries from the mod. Batteries are trashed, mod may be damaged but no-one gets hurt.

Thermal runaway - The most extreme level of battery failure. Pushed beyond it’s limits, an exothermic chemical chain reaction occurs resulting in extreme temperatures, smoke, flames and the destruction of the battery.
I have experienced this first hand and the amount of energy released is truly terrifying, believe me. It was like a rocket going off. Now imagine those hot gasses being contained, boom.

Battery Safety | E-Cigarette Forum

Understanding Battery Capability/Capacity | E-Cigarette Forum

Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread