Smok X-priv voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Hey everyone. I just fell off the wagon and started smoking again. I vaped about 3 years ago and that’s what got me off them. So I was on the hunt for a quick vape and stopped at my local shop and picked up a mod. X-priv. I’ve messed with all the settings, rebooted, but my voltage always reads zero. What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?

Attachments

• 69073260-70E9-42EB-8E08-F94A6FAE8073.jpeg
    69073260-70E9-42EB-8E08-F94A6FAE8073.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 285
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm glad you said that your mod appears to vape just fine. That would have been my first question to you.

The "voltage" is actually a pretty meaningless function as far as you are concerned: I often wonder why manufacturers even put it into their display. Your circuit board doesn't seem to indicate what voltage is being directed to the coil -- no big deal. What's important is the wattage setting seems to be working for you, as well as the ohm reader.

What wattage do you generally vape at? What batteries specifically are you using? (Make and model?)

Becky84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Space Coast, FL
Thank you for your reply! I figured since everything seems to be in working order I might not have to worry about the voltage. I had to get the no name batteries the shop had. I sadly sold off all my stuff long ago. I attached a picture. I plan to research and order new batteries. I’m not used to sub-ohms but that seems to be the new standard. I used to typically run much higher resistance and lower wattage. So I’m still figuring out my preference. The 0.4 ohm coil installed recommends 60-80watts so I’m playing in that range for now. I’d love to go back to my previous setup but so much has changed and what I’m looking for seems a bit hard to find. Do you have any battery recommendations for this set up? Thank you again for taking the time.

Attachments

• AAB50565-D573-4444-8BD1-96BD13F510F6.jpeg
    AAB50565-D573-4444-8BD1-96BD13F510F6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 166

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The mod will calculate the correct voltage to supply to the atomizer based on coil resistance and selected wattage. It does this accurately without any input from you, but for some reason they choose to have it on the display. Pointless really, pay it no heed at all.

The batteries you pictured are LG HG2 and assuming they are new and genuine are excellent 20 amp batteries. A 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts, so as you have two you are safe up to 120 watts on your mod.

Don't feel obliged to follow the recommended wattage ratings written on the coil, they are generic and usually over rated. Start low and bump the power up until the required level of happiness is achieved.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
@Becky84 I just reread your post and you realised you described your batteries as 'noname'.
What's ironic is that the main companies (Sony, LG, Samsung) that produce quality lithium batteries do so mostly to be used in battery packs for power tools and the like. They bear the model and batch number, but are devoid of any other flashy branding. In fact they declaim the use of their batteries for the vaping purposes.
The 'name' batteries you are probably referring to are from companies like Efest or MXJO which are often stocked at vape shops. These companies take batteries from the companies I mentioned before, put new plastic wraps on them and market them directly to vapers. The problem is they often put exaggerated ratings on them, and despite being shiny and colourful are usually a poor choice compared to genuine cells.

The point is that you have inadvertently ended up with just about the best battery you could of for your setup. Good job.

Reactions: Fidola13

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Agree with all the above mentioned about batteries in the like

As far as your mod, press and hold the fire button without taking a puff. You should see the voltage fluctuate. On your mod, I believe the voltage will always show zero until you press the button. It is supposed to be a real-time voltage being delivered to the coil but is probably not accurate and pretty much useless.

Your mod sounds like it's working as it should.

Becky84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Space Coast, FL
@sonicbomb Ah that is very good to know!!! Thank you I wasn’t aware of that at all. Just assumed since no branding they were generic. Pleasantly surprised! I’m used to Efest and the like. I’m in a very small town and the vape shop here does not seem to have very knowledgeable clerks. I went in and just grabbed something to get me off analogs and through until I can catch up with the times and order something. Thank you again!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
@sonicbomb Ah that is very good to know!!! Thank you I wasn’t aware of that at all. Just assumed since no branding they were generic. Pleasantly surprised! I’m used to Efest and the like. I’m in a very small town and the vape shop here does not seem to have very knowledgeable clerks. I went in and just grabbed something to get me off analogs and through until I can catch up with the times and order something. Thank you again!

For future purchases, you might want to refer to Mooch's recommended battery list. It's also mentioned in @Baditude's excellent link above, but if you missed it you can find it here:

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

One of the highlights of Mooch's chart is the blue section near the bottom where trusted vendors are listed. Good batteries are often counterfeited, but the vendors on the chart have good track records, reliable supply chains and spot-testing protocols. Sticking with them really reduces your risk of winding up with a fake, and they're no more expensive than anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread