smokesafe usb passthru + heaven gifts atomizer = fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
:( I bought a penstyle kit from heaven gifts and usb passthru from smokesafe and it seems that the usb won't work with the atomizers. suck for me just a word of warning to those who might be going this route.

EDIT: nevermind just fixed it with the foil trick described here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...sues/4967-help-usb-passthrough-batteries.html I guess I will have a dedicated atomizer to my usb passthru, good thing I stocked up!

Last edited:

GabbyD

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
Southern U.S.
I'm wondering if that rule will hold true with certain suppliers or if it's a fluke here and there with individual atomizers. So far I have two from Smart Fixx which worked with smokesafe's USB. One from puresmoker which did not work with smokesafe's USB. I'm getting another atomizer from puresmoker in a couple of days, so I'll see what happens with that one. I'm also getting a couple of atomizers from smokesafe, so I'll see if both of those work just fine or not.

What I ended up doing about mine that didn't work is snipping off a teeny tiny piece of solder and not melting it or anything but just dropping it into the center of the threaded end of the battery and then screwing on my atomizer from puresmoker. It's working great and I'll just leave it dedicated to USB until it dies. I wish this one would never die. It's one vapin' son of a gun, compared to my other pen atomizers.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Lu (and everyone else reading)

We have had issues with some atomizers as well ...

The contact point is key. Some threads are further in than others thus allowing no contact to be made = no power. I have seen it happen on about 5-10% of Pen USB's and 0% on Mini USB's.

Of that 5-10% ... Normally, if you try a couple atomizers, you'll eventually find one that works.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Cash,

When I ordered my bestecig usb, I also ordered their atomizers, which I never had a problem with (those 2 hole ones...lol). When my brother bought the usb cig from you, he took a couple of my atomizers. He never had a problem.

I then ordered a bunch of the the 4 hole atomizers from you and gave all the 2 hole ones to my brother, which he still uses, still with no problem. I exclusively use yours, with no problem.

So is there a particular "brand" of atomizer that should be avoided?

Lu

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
No, it's not the brand, it's just individual differences from one atomizer to another. Most penstyle parts from any brand are interchangeable. But every now and again you'll get an atomizer that doesn't want to play nice with mismatched batteries.

so does that mean that the other atomizers that I get from heaven gifts can possibly work?

applefr3ak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Ogden, Utah, United States
I have a few USB Passhru batts from thesmokesafe.com and havent had any problems on two or 4 hole atomizers, my friend that bought one did have a problem, it definately wasnt the passthrough, i put a piece of plastigauge in there (engine builder stuff to measure clearances) and its the center contact not making contact, Now to me, if the usb batt is working on 90% of the atomizers... it seems more to me that it is an atomizer manufacture defect,well not a defect if it works with batteries, but the center part... which is surounded by rubber on both the atomizer and the battery... that rubber piece could just be a fraction different thickness and make no contact.. does that make sense?? i guess it could be the battery too with the rubber piece, but if it works on some atomizers and not others.. i guess its just hit and miss like you guys have said... I wouldnt say it definately thesmokesafe's usb battery or so and so's atomizer.. we're mixin parts here.. some time there is bound to be some incompatibility. But if you have issues James will for sure help ya out.

Cheers to all!
Jason

Tallulah

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Chicago IL USA
I've had a completely different problem.

All my previously used atomizers (pen style) work fine with the USB passthrough battery -- but only on my laptop at work. Seems the USB ports on my creaky old home laptop aren't powerful enough, will have to try a powered USB hub.

After a month of multiple charges on four penstyle batteries, they're dying, I'm getting ready to order new ones. How long do these USB passthrough's last, anyhow?

ainako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2008
Southern California
It seems like bestecig's penstyle usb passthru does not work with wayne's atomizers either. Which sucks as I just ordered 2 last friday, and its too late to cancel as its already in the post. A post from Katink on another thread verified this. Which is a damn shame because these atomizers are the best I've tried so far. I guess the foil trick will have to do until we find something that works. The foil is hard to keep track of unless you dedicate the atomizer to usb passthru.

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Those magnets look like they might work but I worry that they might mess something up. If someone can ease my worries then I suppose I won't mind trying it out. Do you know what size is a better fit? (8mm flat vs. 3mm sphere)
Just measured my passthrough: 8mm is too big. But I'm afraid the 3 mm (being a sphere) might be too high... what about just a very small ring that is used to keep a tiny bolt from pulling through the material it is in (will need a ring with outside diameter not exceeding 5 mm I think) and put that in place with a few tiny drops of glue (so it doesn't move against the outsides)... might be better? Or... the magnetic alphabet on that DX-page... that looks thin and pliable... perhaps just use scissors to get a tiny piece off of a letter and use that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread