Status
Not open for further replies.

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
So i didn't do this to promote the clone or the authentic and have no skin in the game.. just money to burn and pure curiosity so I picked up the clone on ebay...
If this is against forum rules, mods please delete and I apologize...

THIS IS PURELY INFORMATION... Y'ALL CAN DECIDE WHICH ONE TO buy

To give both mods a chance i did polish the clone right after I got it because i've already polished the authentic... but I've owned the authentic and used it for about a month

Both hit "like a truck" with a 0.2 ohm build..

The only difference i've noticed is:
-spring on clone is lighter (which may be a good thing because i've heard complaints... although I like the authentic spring)... Though the clone spring looks a little wimpy and don't know how well it'll hold up with extreme sub ohm build
-threads of the tube in the clone have more wiggle room and are more roughly cut but is negligible compared to the authentic
-button has more ridges to keep the button from spinning (authentic only has 4, clone has them all the way around)
-Clone finishes is a tiny bit rougher than authentic
-top area around the outer edge of the hybrid connector side is sharper in the clone, which actually helps the "seamless" look

Clone will always be on the left:

15681734046_41ae1de9e7_z.jpg

15705456265_81c25da3c5_z.jpg

15681738526_10da971fa2_z.jpg

15520265767_4de40161cc_z.jpg

15707045362_71928f6475_z.jpg

which one is the authentic? Is it...
A:
15085511844_1e23b0635c_z.jpg

or B:
15703560601_2d1b5de0dd_z.jpg

Personally: the authentic does feel and thread better and fyi the authentic and clone button can be interchanged with each other

Last edited:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Thanks for the comparison. I want an authentic but it seems that they are out of stock everywhere I look.
Just keep an eye on The Vapor Lair Online Shop & Lifestyle Blog | Bringing you access to premium e-liquid and vapor products.The Vapor Lair Online Shop & Lifestyle Blog | Bringing you access to premium e-liquid and vapor products. and their instagram, that will let you know as soon as they're available. I've bought all three of mine from there, no issues!

FYI - That clone is using the first generation switch design, many of the clones are using this switch design rather than the updated version of the switch. The first gen design has much more of a tendency to stick/bind where as the current version of the switch seems to be basically foolproof.

Last edited:

sjducks

Verified Member
Oct 20, 2014
Chicago
Just keep an eye on The Vapor Lair Online Shop & Lifestyle Blog | Bringing you access to premium e-liquid and vapor products.The Vapor Lair Online Shop & Lifestyle Blog | Bringing you access to premium e-liquid and vapor products. and their instagram, that will let you know as soon as they're available. I've bought all three of mine from there, no issues!

FYI - That clone is using the first generation switch design, many of the clones are using this switch design rather than the updated version of the switch. The first gen design has much more of a tendency to stick/bind where as the current version of the switch seems to be basically foolproof.

I actually had it in my cart online but had to run out. By the time i got home it was out of stock.

mikefash

Sep 20, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the info man! I still want an authentic SMPL....one of these days I'll get around to owning one....

jpcwon,

Would turn away from this guy. The mods you have, you wouldn't be happy with this. I purchased all three versions and I'm not too happy about these. The switch just kills it for me. I would value this mod at $75 at most. Not really clone es, but not really authentic es. Kind of in between if there was a category for this. Love the size.

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
jpcwon,

Would turn away from this guy. The mods you have, you wouldn't be happy with this. I purchased all three versions and I'm not too happy about these. The switch just kills it for me. I would value this mod at $75 at most. Not really clone es, but not really authentic es. Kind of in between if there was a category for this. Love the size.
What about the switch did you not like? Also while I'm at it, what version of the switch is it that you have? I ask because I own all three as well and the switches have been completely flawless right from the jump and I really love the design, I have read about some issues with the first gen switches being a little finicky and I wonder if that may be your issue.

mikefash

Sep 20, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Don't get me wrong. Some might love the harder switches but others love the silky ones. But the mods jpcwon has are more so of the silky versions.

I have the current gen, because I purchased these last Friday. I want a mod to fire right away without thinking about it. This mod you pickup and have to wonder about finger position. The mod should fire whether you push the side of it or the center. You push the side of the button, well it's not going anywhere unless your pushing 5lbs of pressure( I know I'm exaggerating). Maybe it's too new and have to wear in. But most of my Mods authentic just works without exerted pressure. The crunchiness of the button reminds me of a clone Stingray. I haven't tried to dissemble the switch yet but I may have to. When writing this my stainless seems to get better on button press. But mind you I had some beers, so it maybe press without feeling. :2cool:

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.
Don't get me wrong. Some might love the harder switches but others love the silky ones. But the mods jpcwon has are more so of the silky versions.

I have the current gen, because I purchased these last Friday. I want a mod to fire right away without thinking about it. This mod you pickup and have to wonder about finger position. The mod should fire whether you push the side of it or the center. You push the side of the button, well it's not going anywhere unless your pushing 5lbs of pressure( I know I'm exaggerating). Maybe it's too new and have to wear in. But most of my Mods authentic just works without exerted pressure. The crunchiness of the button reminds me of a clone Stingray. I haven't tried to dissemble the switch yet but I may have to. When writing this my stainless seems to get better on button press. But mind you I had some beers, so it maybe press without feeling. :2cool:
Ahh see that explains it, I prefer a stiffer button press with my mods. Thanks to many years of manual labor and machine work I have very diminished feeling in my fingertips, some mods like my Surfrider which has a silky switch I can't even tell that my fingertip is touching it when it fires at times. However at the same time I've really never experienced a "crunchiness" with the SMPL, just a nice reliable medium-firm press and honestly for a recessed bottom fire mod with no lock ring I wouldn't want it any softer.

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
Ahh see that explains it, I prefer a stiffer button press with my mods. Thanks to many years of manual labor and machine work I have very diminished feeling in my fingertips, some mods like my Surfrider which has a silky switch I can't even tell that my fingertip is touching it when it fires at times. However at the same time I've really never experienced a "crunchiness" with the SMPL, just a nice reliable medium-firm press and honestly for a recessed bottom fire mod with no lock ring I wouldn't want it any softer.

+1... Mine is pretty nice... But then again I polished the inside of mine... I have an mmvapors nanos and find the switch fires wherever I put my finger and is smooth but it's very light... I like harder buttons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nynvolt

Aug 2, 2014
Placentia, CA, USA
If your switch is problematic, why don't you contact them for a replacement? I drove down with mine which was damaged by my dropping it, my fault and they replaced it. Nice guys too.

The guy who designed and makes them actually hand delivered the switch. I wouldn't buy the clone simply on principal. The guy isn't a huge corporation, just a clever vaper who designed and machines his own mods. Even the spring is hand ground to increase contact area and it's only $120.

I wouldn't put someone down for buying a clone but really his mod isn't priced unreasonably.

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
If your switch is problematic, why don't you contact them for a replacement? I drove down with mine which was damaged by my dropping it, my fault and they replaced it. Nice guys too.

The guy who designed and makes them actually hand delivered the switch. I wouldn't buy the clone simply on principal. The guy isn't a huge corporation, just a clever vaper who designed and machines his own mods. Even the spring is hand ground to increase contact area and it's only $120.

I wouldn't put someone down for buying a clone but really his mod isn't priced unreasonably.

I agree that's why I bought two from them!

Froth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2014
Chipotle.

He's more than clever, it takes a lot of smarts to engineer something to have less parts than the competition that still works as good or better than them(Minus the spring and snap ring the SMPL only has three machined parts). Having said that, the reason I own all three SMPL mods is because if I were going to sit down and design the mech mod I would use for the rest of my life the SMPL is it 100% exactly, no fancy flashy features for a selling point and nothing extra where it isn't needed while still retaining reliable consistent performance, offering it at a competitive price point makes it no contest IMO.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
i read a report of a SMPL clone owner who's "top cap" came off. i use quotes because its not supposed to be two pieces as we all know. so while im not in the market for an authentic (unfortunately), apparently at least 1 cloner is just press fitting the top into the tube instead of making it 1 piece like the original- so at the moment im not in the market for either.

OP or anyone with a clone, are you able to discern if your clone's tube and top are 1 piece?

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
i read a report of a SMPL clone owner who's "top cap" came off. i use quotes because its not supposed to be two pieces as we all know. so while im not in the market for an authentic (unfortunately), apparently at least 1 cloner is just press fitting the top into the tube instead of making it 1 piece like the original- so at the moment im not in the market for either.

OP or anyone with a clone, are you able to discern if your clone's tube and top are 1 piece?

I'll look when I get home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread