TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
confused-cat-is-confused.jpg

==================================================

Maxwell does not like the snow :blink: Therefore he has been dubbed "Snowbird" ;)

0222151443e_zps740488f0.jpg

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Wha??????????

Question about insulating my kitchen, or kitchen cabinets to be precise. Anyone else who can help, feel free to chime in as well.
My kitchen is always cold and I know why - when I open my lower kitchen cabinets, they are freeeeeeeeeeeeezing inside! Now, what is the quickest, most effective and cost effective way to deal with this. Same with the dishwasher, BTW. When I open it, it's freezing inside. Since it's sealed up, though, I don't think as much cold air escapes into the kitchen from it.
Okay... GO!

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Question about insulating my kitchen, or kitchen cabinets to be precise. Anyone else who can help, feel free to chime in as well.
    My kitchen is always cold and I know why - when I open my lower kitchen cabinets, they are freeeeeeeeeeeeezing inside! Now, what is the quickest, most effective and cost effective way to deal with this. Same with the dishwasher, BTW. When I open it, it's freezing inside. Since it's sealed up, though, I don't think as much cold air escapes into the kitchen from it.
    Okay... GO!

Don't open the door? :?:

:facepalm: Sorry! Leaving now :lol:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
    Okay... GO!

I'm guessing you can only do two main things:
    1) Plug up any outlets with an outlet seal/gasket thing and plug any air-gaps around pipes...like with foam spray sealant stuff.
    2) Insulate inside that wall. Probably spray-in insulation where they drill holes between the 2x4's and spray it in. And/or barrier but you'd have to take the siding off.

Basically if there's no air leaks and it's insulated, it wouldn't be cold...mostly. Some walls/sides of the house are colder than others due to the direction they face even if insulated.

or live with it.

At least do the spray-foam stuff though.

How To Use GREAT STUFF? Foam | Spray Foam Insulation Safety

It expands A LOT though. Practice with it. ;)

How To Seal An Electrical Outlet (Without Electrocuting Yourself)?

LostVapeMonster

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Land of the Lost
    I'm guessing you can only do two main things:
    1) Plug up any outlets with an outlet seal/gasket thing and plug any air-gaps around pipes...like with foam spray sealant stuff.
    2) Insulate inside that wall. Probably spray-in insulation where they drill holes between the 2x4's and spray it in. And/or barrier but you'd have to take the siding off.

Basically if there's no air leaks and it's insulated, it wouldn't be cold...mostly. Some walls/sides of the house are colder than others due to the direction they face even if insulated.

or live with it.

At least do the spray-foam stuff though.

How To Use GREAT STUFF? Foam | Spray Foam Insulation Safety

It expands A LOT though. Practice with it. ;)

How To Seal An Electrical Outlet (Without Electrocuting Yourself)?
    Shouldn't my wall be insulated already????

LostVapeMonster

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Land of the Lost
    Oh I just got some terrible news. Some dear friends of mine just found out that one of their furbabies (that I have watched for them several times while they were out of town) has a malignant tumor on his chest. He has some other lumps on him as well, and we fear they might be malignant as well. He's the sweetest boy. Just a love and he loves his "Aunt Paula". I work with one of the men who owns him and he is just broken up. :(

TomCatt

Da Catt
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Upland, PA

Yeah, it should; doesn't sound like it is though (or not very well).

If you don't want to mess with the spray foam insulation (I put some in the bedroom closet wall a couple of years ago); you can get rigid insulation and cut to fit against the wall in the back of the cabinet(s) [akin to CESster's suggestion with the styrofoam].

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST

Uhmmm that depends on the house.

In the "real old days" they barely insulated. Heating costs were cheap, particularly in warmer climates (forgot where you are again, kinda South, right?).

It all depends. On who built it, when, and how much they spent.

I know that's not much help. But times and practices change.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread