Status
Not open for further replies.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
Hello Liam! Welcome to the "other side of the tracks". I don't recall any UK visitors, but there are a few long term snus users here. I would say that using snus definitely reduces smoking and allows you to go much longer between cigarettes if you are in a sitation where smoking isn't possible. Most of the folks who hang out in here have quit smoking entirely using snus and occasional vaping.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Hi Liam, I agree with FC. I've been on here for 8 1/2 years and haven't seen anyone from across the pond although I did 5 or 6 business trips to Windsor when I was working taking up residence in Windsor Castle Hotel.

My history was of a 43 year, 2.5 PAD smoking history. Was talked into trying an e cig back in '09 by my gf. It got me down to about 6 cigarettes a day for about six months. Around that time the cigarette count started climbing a bit and I thought the quit attempt would go down like the other two dozen or so attempts I had lost in the past.

I talked with a fellow who was talking about this strange sounding stuff that I had never heard of and got directed over to the dark side. Completely propagandized to the fact that smokeless was worse than smoking but persuaded by what I was hearing, particularly the "no spitting" effect of snus, I decided to investigate.

I did about a month of researching the medical stuff and was convinced to try it. Unfortunately, it was nowhere to be found in the States. I finally decided to put in a big order, around $200, of a variety of rolls from Sweden. Waiting for it to arrive, a convenience store got the US made Camel snus and I bought a can. That was Feb 15th of '10. As bad as it was compared to Swedish snus, that signified the moment I no longer needed even a single cigarette and I haven't had one since.

Now I'm not saying the habit was totally crushed as, on occasion, something inside would get that craving. However I crushed that with nasal snuff that I had tried by reference from fellow snusers. It's now been years since I have even had those cravings. I still vape very infrequently, most often in a pub. I usually go through a can of 24 in around 4 days or so. I was at 3-4 portions for years but that edged up to 5 or 6 do mostly to looking for some flavor and I generally snus 7/24 as I like my dream state on snus.

Hope that helps.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    Hello Liam. I started out in 09 by buying a cigalike ecig after seeing a short story on a local news station. Both of my parents had Copd from smoking and I knew that if I didn't do something then I was going to end up like them. I actually quit for a month or two with only vaping. I started slipping back to smoking. First it was one, then two, then more. Vaping alone just wasn't doing the trick and I posted on the forum for help. I was directed to the smokeless section and tried my first snus. It was like I was in a dark room and someone turned on the light. I've always felt like I had a high tolerance for nicotine and at one point I was regularly vaping 32mg liquid, using 6-8 portions of snus, and using nasal snuff. It has been a really tough road for me. I even started using WTA liquid regularly. Over time I've cut out the nasal snuff and only use WTA occasionally. I still vape regularly but have cut my nicotine level down to 12mg and use 5-7 portions of snus a day. Snus has been a godsend for me. I don't think there's any way I could have quit smoking without it. It's been a real roller coaster ride over the past 8-9 years but I feel like I'm in a good place now.

Reactions: stols001

Pikeybarsteward

Verified Member
    Aug 21, 2011
    UK
    Well I m in the UK but I think I ve already spoken to LiamT on another forum :) .

I first read about swedish snus on ECF around 2009ish . I think it was Tropical Bob . :) I ve been following this forum on and off for many years but I ve never been much of a contributor on ECF ...though I am active on a couple of UK forums .

I ve been messing about with smokeless tobacco since 2011ish . When I was growing up nasal snuff was still a thing in parts of the UK so I already had some exposure to that . I used snus and snuff as a supplement to vaping for a few years but after a while my lungs wern't appreciating the vapour like they used to . Around winter of 2015 I started doing a lot more nasal snuff . Almost unconsciously I switched over to snuff and snus .

Last year or so I ve been using quite a bit of Swedish style Snus . It's sale is banned in the EU so I m quite limited by brands . I strongly favour regular strength los .Portions dont suit me much . I do use them but only for economy .
    I m just finishing off a a pot of Offroad Gold los, which in my opinion, is a decent budget snus .

Really , nasal snuff is my thing.There's no tax on it in the UK so I can snuff like a King for very little money . Since I discovered online snuff dealers I ve become a right enthusiast . :) Snus is more practical but ,for me , kinda boring . I genuinely love the snuff as much as smoking :D .

It's pretty bleak for a UK snuser . The EU Tobacco Products Directive has closed up many of the sources for online snus . There's some challenge to the ban in the Euro courts at the moment but I m not that hopeful for a favourable outcome . The tobacco control policy game is rigged over here ;) .

Reactions: stols001

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hey Pikey. I hear you on the snuff. I used that for awhile when the cravings got uncomfortable even with the snus and vaping. The instant hit would take the edge off. I used to carry a little container for "emergencies" but as the months of not having that feeling went by, I stopped carrying it.

It's a shame the EU is so controlling.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread