Snus just as bad as chews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
I find myself curious about the distinction between nicotine and free nicotine. Anybody have any idea what it means?

I was under the impression that tobacco companies guard this data closely, so how did you happen upon this information?

Anyway, in scientific terms, "free nicotine' is "unprotonated" and "unbound" nicotine. Free Nicotine is the component that is rapidly transmitted to the brain, thereby delivering the "nicotine kick" that tobacco users' seek. Apparently, tobacco companies exploited this knowledge by lowering the total nicotine yield while simultaneously manipulating the pH level of the tobacco in order to make a larger percentage of the total nicotine be Free Nicotine. In short, they could advertise and sell "low nicotine" cigarettes (that complied with government regulations!) that actually delivered similar amounts of (or perhaps more) Free Nicotine, thereby making them more addicitive.

The bottom line is that it appears that it is the Free Nicotine number that matters most when comparing the nicotine yield of multiple snus products. So, the question becomes: do we have access to Free Nicotine data for all of the snus products available to us?

Despite its importance, the subject of Free Nicotine is so far below the radar for mainstream internet users, that it doesn't even have a Wikipedia entry.

However, if you would like to learn more about Free Nicotine, here are just a few of the many articles available online that touch on the subject:

More on the regulation of tobacco smoke: how we got here and where next -- Gray and Kozlowski 14 (3): 353 -- Annals of Oncology

Smokeless Tobacco and Some Tobacco ... - Google Books

SpringerLink - Book Chapter

duncantiv

Apr 9, 2009
I was under the impression that tobacco companies guard this data closely, so how did you happen upon this information?

I found it on tobaccoproducts.org while doing a Google search for info on Camel SNUS. People have made assumptions about the Camel SNUS and how they are manufactured, what they contain, etc. All the references they cited contained info on a number of smokeless tobaccos but never mentioned Camel SNUS specifically. This lack of data was bugging me, but 10 seconds with Google fixed all that.

Of course, none of this is an attempt to validate the information contained on tobaccoproducts.org, but they don't seem to be dancing to Big Tobacco's tune, so they may be legit. At this point in time, I'm prepared to accept their info as valid.

Thanks for helping clear up my confusion about free nicotine. When I have the brainpower available (spent all Father's Day out with my daughter, so I'm a bit pooped), I'll definitely have to read through those articles you linked.

EDIT: Reading back through my other post, yeah, it was a little vague on exactly where I got that info. The specific URL is http://tobaccoproducts.org/index.php/Camel_Snus.

Last edited:

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
Interesting read...

I (maybe like others) had no idea what Snus was:confused:. I assumed it was the Skole Bandit all over again. Then in another thread I read someone is using snus to flavor there PG. Today has been a Snus lesson for me.

ps I've been geting free coupons for camel-snus in the mail for about six months and throwing them away, now I find out? I should of saved them:rolleyes:.

ladybug

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
northern calif.
Hi, just recieved some sweedish snus in the mail,and want to know is it supposed to make your gums kinda burn? Also,about swallowing,it made my throat tight and gave me the hiccups.The reason I got snus was because I really don't want to go back to analogs and wanted to have alternatives and backup to the ecigs. Also,loved the idea of discreet no spitting! If I had to spit,I wouldn't use use snuss. I;m hoping using snuss just takes a little adjusting to get the hang of it.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Hi, just recieved some sweedish snus in the mail,and want to know is it supposed to make your gums kinda burn? Also,about swallowing,it made my throat tight and gave me the hiccups.The reason I got snus was because I really don't want to go back to analogs and wanted to have alternatives and backup to the ecigs. Also,loved the idea of discreet no spitting! If I had to spit,I wouldn't use use snuss. I;m hoping using snuss just takes a little adjusting to get the hang of it.

It does take a bit to get used to. As far as the burning gums, in general it will go away in a week or so. A lot depends on what kind of snus you're using. The mints and wintergreens will burn more then the tobacco flavored.

Hiccups are a common occurrence for beginners, along with tightness in the throat. The only time I've gotten hiccups is when I was using a stronger nic snus. For me it was the 11 mg general Onyx. I don't know what kind and strength of snus you're using but I would suggest starting out with 4 mg minis and working from there. That may solve your problems.

Good snusing to you.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The power energy snus is a purified form of snus. It works a bit different then the normal snus. Normally the nicotine in snus is a slow release type. It takes awhile to get into your system, and it stays around a relatively long time. The nicotine in purified snus is released much faster, but doesn't last nearly as long. You got a good dose nicotine in a short time. Very likely the cause of the hiccups.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I just tried the Camel Snus Mellow at 7=11 here in America. It seemed like chewing tobacco- yuck. Is the Camel Frost Snuss any better or does it just taste like mint chewing tobacco. It said you don't have to spit so I swallowed the juice but it was bad. Took away my nic craving but I had to take it out of my mouth after 5-7 minutes. Is the swedish snuss better? Is there any snuss that dosen't taste like chewing tobacco?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Ladybug, your list has some of the snus I consider the WORST made. Begin with the Power Elyxyr. It tastes awful, hits too hard and can make you physically ill. I managed to finish the tin I ordered, but gave it an extremely negative review on snuson.com and vowed to never put another one of those in my mouth.

Stay far away from anything labeled sterk. No Thunder, ever. These are far, far too strong for you, now and probably forever. You need a General Mini Mint.

Offroad is yucky stuff, period. The Oomph Licorice/Honey is not bad; ditto the Citrus/Menthol. The Wine and Dine is tasteless and you might get along with that.

Burning of the gums is common. Hiccups are common with stronger snus. You just need to get far away from the idea that more nicotine in snus is better. It isn't and you won't likely like any of the "sterk" or "strong" varieties.

P.S. Robert, if you don't like sweet Camel, you most certainly won't like Swedish snus. They taste far more like tobacco than the Camel product. Have you ever used chew? Camel Snus really doesn't taste like any chew I know of.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
No not too much chewing tobacco Red Man maybe once.

I Used Kodiak years ago for about six months in the Army friends who used Copenhagen laughed and said that was for kids.

I thought snuss might taste completely different, but just have nicotine.

Do you know what the Mint Frost Camel taste like? Vaping is not going well

I'm not a big fan of camel mellow. I went through two tins and the more I used it the worse it tasted. I liked frost better. Still to sweet for me but at least it was tolerable. Very minty.

Snus can definitely be an acquired taste for some, and taste do differ. In my humble opinion camel mellow is the worst tasting snus I know off as of yet. Over the top saccharine sweet.

If you don't like mellow some of the Swedish non-flavored snus may be good for you. Even the flavored ones are going to be nothing like mellow. For you that may be a good thing.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009

I Used Kodiak years ago for about six months in the Army friends who used Copenhagen laughed and said that was for kids.

Who cares what anyone else thinks about your choice?

Camel Frost just tastes minty to me. I'm almost totally a vaper, but in a pinch, it helps me stay off analogs.

If vaping isn't going well for you, perhaps it is the device you are using. The feedback on the Prodigy is that it is the closest thing yet to smoking an analog. You can read the reviews here (see link below):

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/22931-prodigy-reviews.html

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Yeh, but ... it does not replicate cigarette smoking. That I understand.

Robert, I tolerate both Mellow and Frost just fine, but prefer Frost. They are both very sweet products, however, with sweetener totally masking the bitter taste of tobacco. Swedish processing is completely different than that given American chew, and a product like the tasteless Wine and Dine might please you. It's very powerful, however, so beware. The nicotine sneaks up on you in about 10 minutes.

Cope for kids? Nah. Skoal Bandit is for kids. Skoal has lower nicotine, so kids don't get sick, and tasty flavors that we all now know kids love!

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I tried Kodiak not Copenhage, Cope will burn a hole in yer mouth. I might try Camel Frost Snuss.

My 510 was the answer to quitting for 3 days. But the carts don't hold enough juice. I'll try re stuffing again.

I've been dripping on the 510 since last night, a little better.

I want something that works better. The prodigy and the GG have more power but still use the same carts. I want a GG with an auto feed system. Is there anything like that available yet?

I thought snuss might taste completely different, but just have nicotine.

I personally love the Camel Frost after a meal since it is a pretty strong mint flavor. I haven't tried the Mellow, but everyone I know has said it's icky. Unlike Bob though, I do like the offroad Coffee Vanilla portions (no longer available) and their los snus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread