What BT and the FDA don't want you to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
  • REAL Snus does NOT cause mouth cancer. The Swedish Government, which has regulated Swedish Snus as a food product since 1970, removed the cancer warning labels from their snus a few years ago when the evidence overwhelming demonstrated that Swedish snus does NOT cause mouth or other cancers. The 40 year living laboratory of Scandinavia as well as current scientific evidence shows that Swedish Snus has the same nitrosamine levels, cancer and health risks as a cup of French Roast Coffee.
  • REAL Snus does NOT cause gum disease and tooth loss.
  • REAL Snus is a MUCH safer alternative for smokers than cigarettes.
  • REAL Snus HAS nicotine so obviously it is addictive. That's why no responsible person or company would ever recommend a non-tobacco user start using REAL Snus. Nicotine addiction is not fun. REAL Snus does make it possible for the nicotine-addicted to lead normal, enjoyable, non-persecuted lives without cigarettes with minimal health risks to themselves and NONE to others.

Just wanted to stick this somewhere so inquiring folks who saw the 60 Minutes show could get to the bottom line on the obvious questions. This is included in a good article here: The Tobacco Act: Wasted Taxpayer Dollars and the new Tobacco Black Market. After the initial handshake paragraph it really takes off into some good reading.

asidrave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2009
New Jersey
TV....One quickie here. Would one consider Camel and Marlboro snus "Real" or are you just referring to swedish snus?

:)The Wiz!

camel and marlboro snus are real...it says so on the package :p:D

in all seriousness...it is an insult to call them "snus". what qualifies the marlboro and camel snuses to be called "snus"

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
Great post TV! A good read for anyone wondering about snus.

Thanks Mister. Also a good read for folks who think PV's will some day be welcomed by the powers that be.

You forgot for the both of them to kiss you where you sit there TV ... and here I thought you had some game.

I ran out of breath while hauling my snus hoard to the underground vault, but I didn't forget. They know I have a standing invitation.

TV....One quickie here. Would one consider Camel and Marlboro snus "Real" or are you just referring to swedish snus?

:)The Wiz!

Only in part Wiz. The article's pretty good at pointing out that PM and RJR are more interested in selling a product to use during times we can't smoke, not a full-time alternative to smokes, hence the low effectiveness on Camel and Marlboro.

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Only in part Wiz. The article's pretty good at pointing out that PM and RJR are more interested in selling a product to use during times we can't smoke, not a full-time alternative to smokes, hence the low effectiveness on Camel and Marlboro.

very well said, I think that sums up the effectiveness of american-brand snus

Bagazo

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
in all seriousness...it is an insult to call them "snus". what qualifies the marlboro and camel snuses to be called "snus"

Here are couple of people that feel the same way you do:
Is low-nicotine Marlboro snus really snus?

"We recommend that PM cease using the term "snus" to refer to dry smokeless tobacco products with low nicotine delivery, so that the term be reserved for moist, low-toxin, medium/high nicotine delivery smokeless tobacco products that are qualitatively similar to the leading brands in Sweden."

and also make an interesting point:

"Criticism of snus by anti-tobacco groups may end up unwittingly supporting PM's efforts to maintain the cigarette-dominant status quo. In so doing, PM could prevent snus from challenging the dominance of cigarettes..."

slybootz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2009
Chicago
www.jimmyk.rocks
Here are couple of people that feel the same way you do:
Is low-nicotine Marlboro snus really snus?

"We recommend that PM cease using the term "snus" to refer to dry smokeless tobacco products with low nicotine delivery, so that the term be reserved for moist, low-toxin, medium/high nicotine delivery smokeless tobacco products that are qualitatively similar to the leading brands in Sweden."

and also make an interesting point:

"Criticism of snus by anti-tobacco groups may end up unwittingly supporting PM's efforts to maintain the cigarette-dominant status quo. In so doing, PM could prevent snus from challenging the dominance of cigarettes..."

that looks like a great article Bragazo, Thanks!! I'm in a sleeping-med induced state-of-fogginess right now so I can't read it tonight, but it's bookmarked for tomorrow morning's read!! Thanks!

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I'm sorry to be the turd in the punchbowl at the snus party, but doesn't snus cause gum disease? Nothing very serious, and certainly not cancer, but I thought it has been shown that localized receding gums and lesions can be a result of snus use - with both conditions subsiding when use of snus is discontinued. Though temporary and reversible, certainly those fall under the very broad term "gum disease", don't they?

That's why I always try to vary the placement of snus in my mouth, and also why I've attempted to reduce snusage (heh, I like that word snus+usage=snusage) by using snuff, since my gums aren't the greatest. (and that's probably mostly due to smoking, which is certainly much worse for the gums over time than snusage)

TWISTED VICTOR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2009
The edge of Mayhem
I'm sorry to be the turd in the punchbowl at the snus party, but doesn't snus cause gum disease? Nothing very serious, and certainly not cancer, but I thought it has been shown that localized receding gums and lesions can be a result of snus use - with both conditions subsiding when use of snus is discontinued. Though temporary and reversible, certainly those fall under the very broad term "gum disease", don't they?

That's why I always try to vary the placement of snus in my mouth, and also why I've attempted to reduce snusage (heh, I like that word snus+usage=snusage) by using snuff, since my gums aren't the greatest. (and that's probably mostly due to smoking, which is certainly much worse for the gums over time than snusage)

Valid points voltaire. The only evidence of gum disease I've seen is with the use of American snuff/snus, which is a different animal from Swedish. And that is mostly do to the high amount of sugar. Receding gums isn't gum disease, but is sometimes a symptom of it. Receding gums can even be caused by being an overzealous brusher and, as far as I know, is a permanent condition, regardless of the cause. Swedish snus could also cause it, but smoking presents a much higher risk. The other problem with any snus, American or Swedish, is that any time you have something in your mouth in the same spot most of the day, you'll likely develop a "pocket" eventually. Even chewing gum could cause it. Although this condition can correct itself in time, it's best to do what you're doing now....use alternate locations instead of always using the same spot. That would eliminate pockets and the chance of lesions.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Good point OTD. I hadn't noticed that until now.

I wish I could find the article I was reading from one of those cancer "asso ciations" yesterday. Looked for it, but lost in the mental vacuum cleaner. They said there was no safe tobacco product and recent studies showed that all tobacco, including snus, caused all kinds of risk.

Two problems with their article. First, they didn't document these "recent studies" which I really wanted to see and second, there was no way to reply or contact them from the link. It was the typical scientific hogwash that they screamed at BT for the last several decades.

The junk science or no science, but big headlines, shifted from BT to the Antis and there very prolific with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread