• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

So.... can't even smoke in your car anymore on base?!? ...!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
I tell the mechanics who want to go vehicle recovery that they need to get their heads right first.

Last time I had to call them out, it smelled like a cannibal bbq had just ended, and as they hoisted the shell of the vic with the crane, they had to help me scoop up the 2 children the vic landed on after the IED threw it close to 30m.

That was a real bad day. I was about 10m away from the det and got knocked out. 1500lb svbied ammonium nitrate + sugar. Was like a rolling tub of napalm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Krazirob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Cameron, NC
well its just like anything......its only an effective rule if someone is willing to enforce it......take our unit for example......you are supposed to be 50ft from a building when smoking right?......well seems like all the smokers stand right in front of the front door to smoke to include the 1SG...haha.......so even if the army came out with some ecig exception to policy or reg i will still vape in my office and in my bay......but do what your rank can handle.....HAHA

Krazirob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Cameron, NC
I tell the mechanics who want to go vehicle recovery that they need to get their heads right first.

Last time I had to call them out, it smelled like a cannibal bbq had just ended, and as they hoisted the shell of the vic with the crane, they had to help me scoop up the 2 children the vic landed on after the IED threw it close to 30m.

That was a real bad day. I was about 10m away from the det and got knocked out. 1500lb svbied ammonium nitrate + sugar. Was like a rolling tub of napalm.

10m away from a 1500 pound VBIED detonating......??......are we exaggerating cause thats pretty close......im EOD and have seen alot of detonations in my time.....................

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Nope. I was in a MATV directly behind the vic that got hit. Look up 10/29/2011 kabul. It was a nightmare. The windshields on the next 3 vics behind mine were shattered. Everyone in my vic was knocked out, and we lost 12 americans, a canadian, and a service dog in the vic that got hit.

I was only able to save one person from the bus, and sent 2 additional gunners on the bird because they had such severe tbi from the blast. The camp I evac'd the one guy to before the birds got there was a mile away. They told me they felt it before they heard the det.

greywolff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It's all subjective really. I don't think MOS has anything to do with it.

Bottom line is that perception is reality. If someone sees me blowing clouds in a non-smoking area, they decide at that very moment whether it is worth their time to argue it. Once that decision is made, it doesn't matter whether it's an analog, a PV, a small camp fire...

This particular instance is truly silly, but we, as vapers, need to remember the perception aspect. Yes, we know what it is, but others don't.

If vapers aren't careful with who they do it around, it'll wind up being viewed just like analogs.

I cant vouch for other branches, but the fact that aafes now provides an e-cig option on Army posts is a huge win for vapers. Just be smart about it and expect the occasional ..... w/ more rank to flex on you.

Keep your head down, your mouth shut & vape on!

I so agree, have about 7 vapers in my class and 3 of them do it in the classroom drives me up the damm wall

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I cant vouch for other branches, but the fact that aafes now provides an e-cig option on Army posts is a huge win for vapers.

Yeah, I saw that a month or 2 ago... started selling NJOY at the RAF Mildenhall AAFES shoppette, think they sold out in like a day or two, and haven't restocked. I would think from a health stand point, they would carry those kinds of products more, and encourage vaping.

/boggled

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Bah! Wouldn't even think about trying to stealth around my MXG.... people are too observant in maintenance. Best to either just do it cause you can get away with it, and people around you know you and don't care, go drop a deuce and vape (kinda gross... but you can't tell me you never had an analog while doing that), do it in your own office (if the boss is cool with it... and if you are the HMFIC, that's even easier), or go out to your car.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I so agree, have about 7 vapers in my class and 3 of them do it in the classroom drives me up the damm wall

It isn't really inconspicuous IMO... I've got an airman in my shop, who I converted, and he tries to be all sneaky like in front of us.... the other airman and I are like "Dude, what the heck are you doing? Seriously? We vape or clean our stuff right in the open..." ROFL.

Regarding doing it in a classroom setting, perhaps that is a little much. Personally, I can wait to vape if I need to, to give the instructors my attention (as long as they aren't boring the hell outta me, making me want to pass out). If I need to vape that bad, I'll just excuse myself and hit up the restroom.

greywolff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I look at it this way. it is a simple matter of respect, granted except for a few posts (Ft Sill and a few others) there is no policy on E-Cigs but if we as users set our own standard it will in the long run make us look better and eventually when the DOD does create a policy we might just get lucky.

Just my 2 cents worth

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I look at it this way. it is a simple matter of respect, granted except for a few posts (Ft Sill and a few others) there is no policy on E-Cigs but if we as users set our own standard it will in the long run make us look better and eventually when the DOD does create a policy we might just get lucky.

Just my 2 cents worth

There most certainly are policies/regulations w/in the DOD regarding electronic cigarette use:

AF Instruction 40-102

Medical Education & Training Campus (METC) Operating Instruction 40-1

Here's a link to a Military Times article regarding the military Exchanges selling ecigs, and noting that the services have implemented rules treating them like tobacco products, or are still working on what to do about them: Exchanges now sell e-cigarettes, but military officials haven’t sorted out all the rules

While I agree that there is the matter of respect (for the rules/regulations, those appointed over us and plain old common courtesy), I hate the fact that those of us that choose to use a reduced threat product such as ecigs (or whatever you wish to call it) to enjoy our nicotine are forced to stand with the poor folks that still choose to smoke the real deal. We are not able to set our own standards... the majority of us do not hold sufficient rank w/in the military chain of command to do anything about this. After 15 plus years in the US Air Force, I realize my father, a retired Master Chief in the USN was right: "Luck" and "close" only matter in horse shoes, hand grenades and atom bombs.

In the mean time, I'll be crossing my fingers still.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND

In your class? Are you a military instructor? Could we have a little context regarding this?

I'm gripey about the POV thing, but vaping in the classroom is a bit much IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread