So, has anyone seen any PA "Floor Tax" forms yet? I'm concerned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
There are other things, too. We have school tax. Real estate taxes relatively low (On my $150K house less than $300) but school tax last year was a bit over $1400. 'Cause ya know, property tax is deductible but school tax is not :evil:
Think HARD! Several more times. This just might not be the way you wanna go.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The hubby and I were considering retiring to Philly
Why?

I'm "from" Philly. By that, I mean I spent much of my youth in Philly, and most of my adult life just outside it. There's no way I'll stay here when I retire. It has nothing to do with this particularly stupid tax either. I finished stocking earlier this year, and won't need to buy any "E-Cigarettes / E-Cigarette Products" ever again. Besides, 8/8/18 is likely to make PA's tax irrelevant in any case.

Now are there parts of PA that would might consider retiring to? Sure. But Philly? :confused:

Reactions: Princessdee

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Why?

I'm "from" Philly. By that, I mean I spent much of my youth in Philly, and most of my adult life just outside it. There's no way I'll stay here when I retire. It has nothing to do with this particularly stupid tax either. I finished stocking earlier this year, and won't need to buy any "E-Cigarettes / E-Cigarette Products" ever again. Besides, 8/8/18 is likely to make PA's tax irrelevant in any case.

Now are there parts of PA that would might consider retiring to? Sure. But Philly? :confused:
Kinda a long and complicated thing. I was born and raised in Detroit and just don't feel normal unless I get a winter (Louisiana just does NOT work for me). Hubby doesn't drive. I will likely reach a point where I can't due to vision issues so we need somewhere with GOOD mass transit (and good transit for those in wheelchairs for the hubby). I was checking apartment rents and it looks like finding one in the budget is possible. Lots of stuff to do. So yeah Philly was on the short list.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
The dept of rev is evidently just starting to figure this tax out. I had to speak to 5 different people to get an answer to my question. Since my purchase was in October, I had to mail it soon to meet the November 30 due date. Their final response was "Just pay the higher amount. If it's too much, we'll issue a refund."

What was your question?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    The dept of rev is evidently just starting to figure this tax out. I had to speak to 5 different people to get an answer to my question. Since my purchase was in October, I had to mail it soon to meet the November 30 due date. Their final response was "Just pay the higher amount. If it's too much, we'll issue a refund."
    Lol I bet the person in the office that typed that had a great laugh with their colleagues after sending it out. Sounds like great Meme material.

sunnyskyez

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    That's right, with Pennsylvania's vape tax taking effect in less than a month, I as a consumer am very concerned. You can talk to different retailers and ask "What exactly IS going to be taxed?" and you're almost sure to get a different answer every time...from "EVERYTHING!" to "Who knows?".

I find this extremely troubling as the state has published no clear guides for the consumer - leaving the door wide open for illegally-levied taxes against the consumer.

The way Act 12 reads, there is a very NARROW range of taxable items...basically all fluids, all cig-alikes, and a select few mod/atomizer ASSEMBLIES. No where is there authority given to collect a PA tax on batteries, coils, separately packaged parts including mods or atomizers of any kind, wire, cotton, and much more. In fact, aside from juice...the PA tax should have VERY LITTLE effect on stand-alone vape shop products. The key is in the definitions and in the very clear use of the word "and".

I will repeat myself from a post I made earlier...this tax code looks to be written by people who's prep work consisted of a trip to the local mini mart. And WE the consumers need this clarified as do the many vape shops who need to comply. Act 12 needs to be repealed immediately before unfair charges are levied against innocent consumers!

Its all confusing. I to would like to know why such a heavy tax on vaping? I know my sister bought tobacco to roll her own and she said it doubled in price also. The gov't is attacking vapers very hard and there is no reason for it. Do this clowns even know what they are doing?!?!?!?!?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa

Translated, "Just pay the higher amount. If it's too much, we'll issue a refund."-

"Just pay the higher amount. Once we figure what the average schmuck is willing to pay, we'll set the standard and fine everyone else."

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Its all confusing. I to would like to know why such a heavy tax on vaping? I know my sister bought tobacco to roll her own and she said it doubled in price also. The gov't is attacking vapers very hard and there is no reason for it. Do this clowns even know what they are doing?!?!?!?!?

Maybe your House & Senate Reps could answer that Question?

What did they say when you wrote them?

Last edited:
    Reactions: motordude
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread