So, here's my idea for a mix up, and I'd like to know peoples thoughts on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
I have ordered some juice, and I want to make a rich and complex apple pie with vanilla ice cream, but I'm not sure that just giving it a whole heap of ingredients is the way to go, I started from scratch, relied on nothing, just picked stuff off the top of my head.
And the recipe is as follows:

Cheesecake (Graham Crust) Concentrate (TFA)1 (PG) - 3.6%
Fuji Apple Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 3.3%
Cinnamon Sugar Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 0.8%
Apple Pie Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 5.2%
Vanilla Ice Cream Concentrate (FA) (PG) - 2.1%
Graham Crust Concentrate (FA) (PG) - 1.6%
Apple Pie Concentrate (FA) (PG) - 2.4%
Apple Snacks Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 5%
Italian Lemon Sicily Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 2.8%
Simply Vanilla Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 2.6%
Sweet Cream Concentrate (CAP) (PG) - 2%
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Concentrate - (CAP) (PG) - 2.7%
Sweetener Concentrate (FW) (PG) - 0.8%

So there we are?
What are the guru's thoughts on this mix?
I thought it was a very well thought out build, how each of the flavours would play off of, or compliment, each other.
But I need your input on it dear vapefam, mixing starts tomorrow!
Hope you are all safe and well!

K

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I didn't find it, I sorta looked at other recipes and came up with it on my own, I used to be a chef so I just looked for stuff that would work nicely together :thumbs:
    Sorry I missed that part. Is this your first mix? I think a lot of these apples might compete with each other and the addition of the brown sugar and cinnamon might be moot since the pies will already have them. The graham crusts percentages look correct (as well as the ice creams and apples), but they might need to be lowered if you're using both. I see you've based you're percentages on the ELR recommendations. Have you tried these flavors individually?

Of course, you'll make a small batch that'll probably need to steep for at least a week. Is there an actual juice you're basing this on (like 5pawns Gambit)?

Last edited:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Sometimes using many flavors will cancel each other out. If there is one thing I have begun to learn about mixing it's that using exact flavors of a desired outcome is not always the correct way to go about it.

A recent recipe I am using is a prime example. Creamy Caramel Hazelnut, it does not have a lick of caramel in it however, the butterscotch ripple along with the other ingredients make it seem like caramel is used.

The overall percentage is rather high and I think you are going to experience flavor muting in the final result.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    Go for it, see what happens. Personally I think it’s too complex and too high %, not something I would attempt. I just don’t think there’s enough ‘room’ in one juice for all those components.
    I tried some recipe long ago that was supposed to be coffee with cinnamon danish. Too many components. Either the coffee or the danish, but not both.

I can only liken it to trying to get all the ingredients of lasagna into 1/2 a teaspoon.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I have ordered some juice, and I want to make a rich and complex apple pie with vanilla ice cream, but I'm not sure that just giving it a whole heap of ingredients is the way to go, I started from scratch, relied on nothing, just picked stuff off the top of my head.

So there we are?
    I thought it was a very well thought out build, how each of the flavours would play off of, or compliment, each other.

K
    Don't take this the wrong way, but: Being a chef, would you try to create a recipe using a dozen ingredients you've never tried, but "kind of have an idea" of what they may taste like?

If it fails, you'll have no idea which apple, for instance, that you don't like. Or which sweetener is off. You'll have no idea which ingredient you hate. You'd have to start over, not knowing what went wrong. People that like vanilla may love one brand, but hate all others. So knowing you like vanilla isn't enough.

I think most successful mixers try flavors individually first, to know what they're adding.

• Agree
    Reactions: DeloresRose

RaisedFist

Jul 20, 2019
    Hey there guys, thanks for all the input, and no, I've been mixing for a while now, but this is my first complex mix, I usually just stuck to 2, maybe 3 ingredients.
    But I took your advice, I knocked out a few of the ingredients, brought the percentages down to 21%, as was told.
    I settled on this:

And as you said, some ingredients did cancel each other out, the vanilla ice cream doesn't come through at all, can barely taste vanilla at all, regardless that I threw the extra vanilla in.
    The cinnamon sugar came in nicely, complimented the apple pie well, but before I ram nails in this coffin, I'm going to let it steep for a while, give the vanilla a bit of time to come through.

But thank you all, I love you guys, you're always so happy to help and I've always had 99% good stuff from this place, you guys rock!!
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 22, 2015
    West Virginia, USA

So there we are?

K

I've had this similar issue. It worked out for me, in my personal taste buds opinion.

First option. Dilute a sample with vg to find the ballpark. You might find a nuance you might desire to change. For me it's too much flavoring to vape in this %.

Second option. Put ingredients together in small bottle. Shake the heck out of it. Then measure out different percentage points and make small samples to try. This keeps "your" recipe as complex as you like, yet you can find your own sweet spot. I'd start in the 12 to 15% area.

Edit: i did something similar in my FROOT recipe posted.

Reactions: stols001

Skeebo

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    May 31, 2014
    Hey there guys, thanks for all the input, and no, I've been mixing for a while now, but this is my first complex mix, I usually just stuck to 2, maybe 3 ingredients.
    But I took your advice, I knocked out a few of the ingredients, brought the percentages down to 21%, as was told.
    I settled on this:

And as you said, some ingredients did cancel each other out, the vanilla ice cream doesn't come through at all, can barely taste vanilla at all, regardless that I threw the extra vanilla in.
    The cinnamon sugar came in nicely, complimented the apple pie well, but before I ram nails in this coffin, I'm going to let it steep for a while, give the vanilla a bit of time to come through.

But thank you all, I love you guys, you're always so happy to help and I've always had 99% good stuff from this place, you guys rock!!
    :thumb::thumb::thumb:

You rock too. I was afraid how the advice would be received.... helping people can sometimes be a slippery slope sort of speak.... Let us know how the recipe develops.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Second option. Put ingredients together in small bottle. Shake the heck out of it. Then measure out different percentage points and make small samples to try. This keeps "your" recipe as complex as you like, yet you can find your own sweet spot. I'd start in the 12 to 15% area.

But if the individual flavour percentages are wrong, you will never achieve a desired mix. Lemon Sicily at 3% maybe too much and overpower Apple Pie at 5%. This ratio of Lemon Sicily to Apple Pie does not change regardless if you use this combination at 20% final mix or 2% final mix.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 22, 2015
    West Virginia, USA
    But if the individual flavour percentages are wrong, you will never achieve a desired mix. Lemon Sicily at 3% maybe too much and overpower Apple Pie at 5%. This ratio of Lemon Sicily to Apple Pie does not change regardless if you use this combination at 20% final mix or 2% final mix.

I wasnt trying to change his taste, just put it into a vape level with his recipe. Ive had a few recipes and vapes thst other people enjoy and wondered "you really vape this %&%#@?" My recipes might be good to me but horrible to you.

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Your "revised" version sounds much better (and keep in mind if all those flavors are in PG you need to adjust for that) Original was wacked (just too much) The lemon may be a bit much (for a "pie" recipe) but might actually make it interesting. I also like some extra cinnamon with my apple pie and recently wanting to try a "pie al'amode" version. I'm thinking with all those flavors you might need a bit more bakery (like biscuit or cookie... or just some extra graham) Whatever happens, give it another try after a week... let it steep. Could be all that stuff just "mutes" and you end up with "mutt mix"... or it all comes together and you surprise yourself (and others) Hey, I try crazy things too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread