So, I was At The Tattoo Parlor Last Night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitebreed

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
I was at the Tattoo parlor last night and while waiting on the artist who was going to be doing my tattoo, I whipped out my eGo (Even though there is a No Smoking sign right in front of me). The guy out front looked at me, and I thought he was going to have an aneurysm, and says to me "There's no smoking in here!" I proceed to tell him that there is no smoke. It is just water vapor coming out of my mouth, and is not harmful to anyone. He asks me more about it, but asks me to do it outside since he doesn't want to get in trouble with his boss. No problem.

Fast forward 30 minutes, and Steve (My tattoo artist) gets done, and comes out asking if I want an analog while he waits for his work area to sterilize. I tell him sure. After going outside, he takes out a pack of analogs and lights up. I whip out my eGo and start puffing away, and he looks at me like I have 3 heads, then finally asks "WTF is that?" I explain to him all about it, and ask him if he wants to try. Now the look on his face when I asked him, was that of a born-again Christian being offered a crack pipe, and quickly stated "No thanks!"

Now, I am so confused. Why are people so....for lack of a better word, scared of vaping? Are analogs so appealing with all of its' carcinogens, that it makes vaping so scary? I know the easy answer is ignorance.....but why?

Another thing I do not understand is why celebrities have not come out in support of this? I know Katherine Heigl (Spelling?) was on David Letterman talking about it, and Johnny Depp had one in his latest movie, but I am curious as to why there have not been more? Just as stars in movies, way back when, gave rise to making smoking analogs cool, they could just as easily educate folks on vaping versus analogs; Why can they not support vaping? Are they scared they would promote folks who do not smoke to start vaping?

Sorry for being a little long winded, but I was just a little shocked last night, since I am new, and haven't experienced most folks reaction to vaping.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
It is not just smokers that are scared of something new, should see the reactions from fellow vapors when you vape a Provari with a MAP tank on it next to them. Whip out 6 different cartomizers at 6 different OHMS from 3 different manufacturers and they get to try them all. Load up a vapormate so they can see a "top feeder". It's like a deer in the headlights as they tug away on their Ego or mall bought POS.

An e-cig is only the beginning, and a salvation to those locked into their addictions. A Provari is an angel of God sent to thank me for all of my hard work and studying.

Most people do not put any effort into understanding the entire e-cig industry and all the different products and chemicals and options. They have no clue what they are vaping, and very little how it works. We just all know that it does work, and we are smoke free and happy.

Last edited:

WomanOfHeart

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2010
Colorado
People fear what they don't understand. Having all the negative/misinformed press floating around doesn't help us, either. We live in very strange times when a lot of people don't know which end is up and ignorance is being encouraged (just my opinion.) I think the reason more Hollywood A-lister's haven't come out in the open is because their PR people are telling them not to do it. These people have a lot of influence over a large population, including children. They don't want to be associated with encouraging a new generation to pick up a nicotine addiction. I know...we can vape 0 nic juice. But, try to explain that using a PV isn't smoking and the juice doesn't need to have nicotine in it to someone whose mind is already made up. Most of the time, it just doesn't work.

dedelein

Mar 30, 2010
Texas
I'm new to vaping but I agree with WomanOfHeart in terms of ignorance being encouraged. People, at least people here in the United States, are so busy just living their lives, trying to get by from day to day, that they don't have the time and in many cases the desire, to research something to find out whether it is a good thing or a bad thing so they rely on the news programs and the government(FDA) to tell them. In fact they are encouraged to do this by both the news programs and the government(FDA).

dedelein

OwnedByAGrey

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Pennsylvania
Now the look on his face when I asked him, was that of a born-again Christian being offered a crack pipe, and quickly stated "No thanks!"

LOL!!!! Priceless!

I think the idea that people are relectant to accept new things is completely sound. That's why I ordered my ECF cards. They explain vaping on the back, and I needn't worry about someone whipping out a crucifix and a wooden stake if I offer them a try.

BTW ... what kind of tat did you get? I want to get another, myself. :)

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I whip out my eGo and start puffing away, and he looks at me like I have 3 heads, then finally asks "WTF is that?" I explain to him all about it, and ask him if he wants to try. Now the look on his face when I asked him, was that of a born-again Christian being offered a crack pipe, and quickly stated "No thanks!"

Now, I am so confused. Why are people so....for lack of a better word, scared of vaping? Are analogs so appealing with all of its' carcinogens, that it makes vaping so scary? I know the easy answer is ignorance.....but why?

I was smoker for 30+ years and had never heard about ecigs prior to the end of this past December. When I finally figured out where I could get a starter kit (I'm in Canada and quickly realized the problem with getting suppliers to ship nic across the border!), it was important to me that it look like a cigarette....in fact, I didn't even know there were different types until after I'd received my starter kit (SmokeTips-KR808). For me, the ease in transition from analogs to ecigs was the fact that I could fool myself into believing that I was still smoking so there wasn't much of mental shift. Now that I am past the transition phase, I am more interested in finding a model that provides long vaping without having to switch out the cartos and batteries and provides more quality flavour and vapour.

I think your man Steve there would have been more receptive if you had a model that resembled an analog a bit more. I'm certainly not an expert but I can tell you that an EGO would probably not have appealed to me at all in the initial phase - I probably would have associated it with a crack/hash pipe which would have turned me off....now of course, I wish that I had done more research because an EGO probably would have been a much better fit for me!

GMoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
MA
Now, I am so confused. Why are people so....for lack of a better word, scared of vaping? Are analogs so appealing with all of its' carcinogens, that it makes vaping so scary? I know the easy answer is ignorance.....but why? ....

No Offense, but Why would anyone accept a device that is unfamiliar to them from a complete stranger and inhale from it?, especially at a Tattoo parlor. I think that would be far more abnormal and ignorant behavior.

IMO, the best thing we can do is be polite, educate and inform if someone is interested, and let them decide if e-cigs are something they want to look into.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Did you offer him a clean cart or something to try it? I would not want to stick something in my mouth that someone else has in theirs unless it was jug of moonshine or something (I will take a swig no matter how many lips have been on it). But people can catch flu, colds, herpes (the cold sore kind - then have it for life) etc.

Nitebreed

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Did you offer him a clean cart or something to try it?
I had a brand new cart still in the package.

An e-cig is only the beginning, and a salvation to those locked into their addictions. A Provari is an angel of God sent to thank me for all of my hard work and studying.
I so need to find out what a Provari is!

BTW ... what kind of tat did you get? I want to get another, myself. :)

I am in the process of getting a left chest piece that covers my whole left chest with all my kids names, in west coast script, and fancy accents. The Tattoo artist is well-known and really great. Steve Morris. Has been on TV and is well published. Great guy.

OwnedByAGrey

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Pennsylvania
Steve Morris?! NO WAY! The piece sounds amazing, Nightbreed!

I'd like to get a right shoulder piece of my Greys. Tat shops all over the place, here, but the one I go to is fab, and the artist, Mark, is great. He can take anything and make it a thing of absolute beauty. Too bad Morris didn't want a try on the vape, but he might one day. :)

Nitebreed

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Steve Morris?! NO WAY! The piece sounds amazing, Nightbreed!

I'd like to get a right shoulder piece of my Greys. Tat shops all over the place, here, but the one I go to is fab, and the artist, Mark, is great. He can take anything and make it a thing of absolute beauty. Too bad Morris didn't want a try on the vape, but he might one day. :)
Yeah I love his work. I am so excited about the piece. He was going to be doing some work on me on Sunday otherwise he is booked until June! I am hoping he'll ask me more about vaping on Sunday so I will be able to tell him all about it.

oldfatguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2011
Texas
Did you offer him a clean cart or something to try it? I would not want to stick something in my mouth that someone else has in theirs unless it was jug of moonshine or something (I will take a swig no matter how many lips have been on it). But people can catch flu, colds, herpes (the cold sore kind - then have it for life) etc.

Last time I had some moonshine (in the army forty years ago) germs could not have lived within ten feet of the jug. I was not sure I would see the morning sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread