So is VG only bad for your health or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rival11

Oct 31, 2010
New York
As a full on Engineer in the technical field....I have no problem admitting that I am clueless when it comes to a lot of topics posted here. There are a lot of smart people that post here and a lot of the stuff on toxicology reports, graphs, etc... just go right over my head.

There were some threads I checked out on the topic but to me, never a clear answer if it's basically safe to vape 100% VG.

I myself love the domestic flavor from Johnson Creek (even though it gunks the hell out of your wicks) but it's 100% VG and due to what appears to me as conflicting info....I want to ask you smart people to give some simple replies....some lab info is ok but just looking for a general "is it ok or not" response.

Thanks for any help you can give.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
PG & VG are both safe to vape. Some people will have some side effects from one or the other, just like any product consumed. 100% VG seems to give me a heavy feel in the lungs if I vape it too long. That could be just me. Some people think they are allergic to PG.

So you may have some side effects or none. But considering how long people have been vaping with no serious issues, I would say they are both safe.

Confusednoobie

Jun 9, 2013
NM
As a full on Engineer in the technical field....I have no problem admitting that I am clueless when it comes to a lot of topics posted here. There are a lot of smart people that post here and a lot of the stuff on toxicology reports, graphs, etc... just go right over my head.

There were some threads I checked out on the topic but to me, never a clear answer if it's basically safe to vape 100% VG.

I myself love the domestic flavor from Johnson Creek (even though it gunks the hell out of your wicks) but it's 100% VG and due to what appears to me as conflicting info....I want to ask you smart people to give some simple replies....some lab info is ok but just looking for a general "is it ok or not" response.

I have been researching the same thing myself- I did not do well with PG so I am using VG and also concerned about it. The only serious thing I have found for VG is that it can cause a lipoid pneumonia- being a vegetable derivative.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
The only serious thing I have found for VG is that it can cause a lipoid pneumonia- being a vegetable derivative.

VG cannot cause lipoid pneumonia, so you can rest easy about that. Here's what Dr. Michael Seigel has to say on the subject

In response to my blog post revealing an inaccurate statement in the German Cancer Research Center's report on electronic cigarettes, the Center has corrected the statement.

The original statement was: "Glycerine may cause lipoid pneumonia on inhalation." As I pointed out, this is not possible, because glycerine is an alcohol and lipoid pneumonia is associated with the aspiration of oils.

You can read the whole post here: http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2013/06/german-cancer-research-center-corrects.html

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
There are some studies that found some formaldehyde from VG liquids, it's still not clear that asseveration.

Hi, vapmex. I've not heard that before. Could you post your source, please? I'd like to check it out, because usually when you hear about formaldehyde in anything related to ecigs, it's ANTZ propaganda/junk science. Still, I'd like to go to the source to see for myself. Thanks!

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Have you been vaping VG since your join date? Or is this a new idea.

sawtoothscream

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
United States
considering that we're almost all ex-smokers, ya gotta admit it's kinda funny that we now care what goes into our lungs

my one friend is a smoker and vapes. He always wonders how safe it really is and how it must be unhealthy, then a few seconds later starts smoking a cig. I find it funny. Never talks about how unsafe cig smoking is though

rival11

Oct 31, 2010
New York
I only recently started to doing 100% VG - I have a mild allergic reaction to PG (like millions of others) mainly with the mucus. I have always heard of issues with doing VG only since I Started vaping but none of it makes sense to me and there is a lot of mis-informed people out there (just look at this thread alone for corrections already made).

Ha - yes dwallen - it is funny. I think the reason for it though is that we all want to know that we have a 100% safe alternative that we can enjoy but we just don't know in full yet.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I get it that we get concerned about Vapeing as we don't want anything else to harm us, let's face it they fooled us with cigarettes right.

The big difference with Vapeing is BT isn't supplying us with their junk anymore, that in itself is a big big bonus to the FACT that Vapeing is less dangerous then smoking.

Now where did I put that shiny thing, hmmmmm

Damn it rolled under da couch, and I stubbed my toe getting it, must be Vapeing.

Marius_Kingsley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Hillsboro, OR
I get it that we get concerned about Vapeing as we don't want anything else to harm us, let's face it they fooled us with cigarettes right.

The big difference with Vapeing is BT isn't supplying us with their junk anymore, that in itself is a big big bonus to the FACT that Vapeing is less dangerous then smoking.

Now where did I put that shiny thing, hmmmmm

Damn it rolled under da couch, and I stubbed my toe getting it, must be Vapeing.

I wouldn't say they "fooled me" with cigarettes. Honestly, I was as informed as someone who has never been an addict could POSSIBLY be when I started smoking. I knew about the cancer, the heart disease, the addiction, etc. when I picked up my first cigarette. I know alot of people didn't when they started smoking, but I started in 2001. I went to public school in the 90s. Tobacco/smoking was required curriculum for me. I knew the risks as well as anyone could. I honestly don't know why I had my second cigarette, but I did, and that's MY fault. But I switched to vaping because my fiance asked me to. And I want it to be at least safer (if not safe) and I believe it is. If by some chance its not, I will switch back to tobacco in a heartbeat and try to find some other way to quit. But for now, I love my PV and I will vape until the end of my days until someone can prove to me that its worse for me, because even if its equally bad, its at least more pleasant. :)

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't say they "fooled me" with cigarettes. Honestly, I was as informed as someone who has never been an addict could POSSIBLY be when I started smoking. I knew about the cancer, the heart disease, the addiction, etc. when I picked up my first cigarette. I know alot of people didn't when they started smoking, but I started in 2001. I went to public school in the 90s. Tobacco/smoking was required curriculum for me. I knew the risks as well as anyone could. I honestly don't know why I had my second cigarette, but I did, and that's MY fault. But I switched to vaping because my fiance asked me to. And I want it to be at least safer (if not safe) and I believe it is. If by some chance its not, I will switch back to tobacco in a heartbeat and try to find some other way to quit. But for now, I love my PV and I will vape until the end of my days until someone can prove to me that its worse for me, because even if its equally bad, its at least more pleasant. :)

I hear yah, but I'm 55 and had no clue whatsoever when I started, and we all know BT continues to lie to us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread