Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
a weird thing happens to me on YouTube.

So I had been hearing a lot about things being blocked from many users and I became curious so I googled them. Weird and disturbing things started showing up on my YouTube feed. Specifically a lot of YouTube’s consisting of what I can now conclude we’re carefully curated selections from various reddit feeds. They started out fairly innocuous, but they kept on getting more numerous and escalated in intensity. At first they were complaints about obnoxious people, but they slowly became more racist and classist over time.
It felt like indoctrination. Really creepy indoctrination.
The really weird part though was I was sick of it and looked up how to control my YouTube feed. There isn’t much, but there was a history feature I could look at.

What was extremely strange was that for the last week or two literally 90% of what I could find on my YouTube feed was this stuff, but when I looked for it in my history none of it seemed to exist. Furthermore, after I checked my YouTube history and returned to YouTube’s front page all of it was gone. No trace it was ever there.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Make little tin foil hats for your fingers

YjLqwEW.jpg

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Make little tin foil hats for your fingers

YjLqwEW.jpg
You make a fair point. It really could be nothing. If it isn’t nothing it’s fairly well known. The primary reason I was interested is I’d heard of it happening.

It may explain trump to some degree though. I had a roommate in college who because of his father’s job had lived literally all over the world. One of the quotes of his I remember is if you’re living in the western world, the western politicians sound sane and the eastern bloc politicians sound crazy. If you’re living in the eastern bloc the eastern bloc politicians sound sane and the western politicians sound crazy, but if you’re living in the third world they both sound crazy. The reason trump sounds crazy to some people is because he isn’t talking to them. There are people he doesn’t sound crazy to, and those are the ones he’s talking to.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Quite the opposite, I do not think it is nothing. I very much think it is something.
Targeted advertising and manipulation through social media is real. But we cannot complain because we welcomed it in through our consumer habits. Your digital life doesn't actually belong to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread