The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

So what does everyone do for a living?

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by WNYShovelBum, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. WNYShovelBum

WNYShovelBum Full Member

May 31, 2011
    Western New York
    Has it affected your job? Does your job affect your vaping?

Im currently an archaeology student and in the summer I work as a CRM field archaeologist, and also as a seafood clerk at Tops Markets.

As far as affecting my job at tops, it hasnt affected my job, nor has my job affected my vaping.

The archaeology, however, is the big win. When I was smoking analogs(still cant get that term, makes me think of watches. Or confuses me because of the word analogue, which e-cigs ARE, but anywho) Id tend to take a lot of breaks. We run on a very limited time schedule, weve got to get projects done under budget and on time, so it tended to get in the way of work. Plus, you cant smoke over a hole in the ground. Interferes with C-14 dating and such. This is why the vaping is nice. I can vape over the holes, inside while Im working on cataloguing. My biggest worry is the dirt. You would not believe where dirt can end up. I just dont wanna fry anything from shorting it. But all in all,vaping has been great.

2. dormouse

dormouse ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 31, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Analog is like analog vs digital (as in watches)
    Analogue is an item serving the purpose of another
    But yeah - they are each alternate spellings of the other

I'm an embedded systems programmer and can vape at my desk though I avoid annoying or tobacco-like smells. Fortunately what I mostly like now is dark cocoa tobaccos (mostly cocoa) and sweet vanillas.

3. roxics

roxics Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 25, 2009
    Detroit MI
    I'm a commercial videographer and editor for a web media company by day. At night I'm the CEO of a web start-up I own with a partner of mine. In time I hope to be done with the former and only doing the latter.

4. CathyfromOhio

CathyfromOhio Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I am an ad builder at a newspaper. Use a Mac and my ecig all day.

5. Ember

Ember Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2011
    Tyler, TX
    Night Manager for CVS. I never vape on the floor or anyplace where customer care could be needed (it's unprofessional... like chewing gum), but my el-cheapo 510 is usually tucked behind my ear like a pen for those little opportunities where it might be deemed appropriate. (also useful as a hair ornament or to hold up a bun)
    Bonus! My hair smells like melon mint when I get off work!

6. DerekUrban

DerekUrban Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 23, 2011
    Fort Myers, Florida
    I'm a Paralegal, so I spend most of my time at work writing, filing legal documents, playing games and reading ECF. I vape all day and it's actually increased my work productivity, no more breaks every half hour to stand outside and smoke a cancer stick. My Boss is really happy I made the switch, and even wanted advice on what to get his daughter once he saw it worked for me.

7. dopamine

dopamine Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    PhD student in brain stuff- work at a few neuro clinics and teach some. I sometimes vape in my lab when alone, otherwise I don't vape on the job.

8. samuraijill

samuraijill Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2011
    Oregon High Desert
    I manage a retail store and travel frequently as a corporate trainer; I can vape in my office, but I keep it on the QT on the selling floor. I still go outside for a "smoke break" because I need to get out of the building periodically.

I love being able to vape in hotel rooms! The no smoking rooms anywhere travel thing was getting to be a real drag, either going down the stairwell to the side entrance in my pajamas first thing in the morning to have a smoke or trying to smoke out of a window that won't open more than an inch.

9. Iluvthearmy

Iluvthearmy Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 8, 2011
    The Desert
    I'm a grunt. vaping has been a huge help in my job. I can spend 8 hours at a time on the road and you can't smoke or dip in government vehicles but the commander is fine with vaping. Plus it was a big help with my physical training, I can run without hacking up marlboro flavored gunk now.

10. deadlands

deadlands Full Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Chicago
    I'm a network administrator at a University. I vape all day at my desk and no one cares. One of my co-workers also vapes. We were the last of the smokers and we both quit around the same time. I no longer take smoke breaks and I can keep a steady flow of nicotine in my system which helps my stress levels.

11. Tonya27

Tonya27 Full Member

May 16, 2011
    Mississippi
    I am a stay at home mom and my kids LOVE not having to smell the stinky cigarettes anymore! I still sometimes get "looks" from people that think im smoking in the car with my children but maybe ill just get a PV that cant be mistaken for a cigarette

12. borockster

borockster Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Western Ky.
    I am retired from the USN. So now I vape....Life is GOOD!

13. Chemcat

Chemcat Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Kennesaw, GA
    Truck driver here, never could smoke while hauling flammables, oxidizers, or explosives but last year the company I work for banned smoking anywhere on company property or in company vehicles which made smoking difficult if not next to impossible since 90% of what we transport is either flammable or an oxidizer. PV's have certainly made my life at work easier.

14. Warlordxxx

Warlordxxx Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2011
    Oldham UK
    I'm a team leader with a catalog company can't really tell you how it affects my working life as i've only just started vaping thanks to a spontanious pneumothorax which also means i'm off work right now :)

15. SuziesMom

SuziesMom Super Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Oct 28, 2010
    NY
    I own a web company and it mainly involves me working in a lab setting. I take vape breaks outside of the lab because it just doesn't feel like good lab procedure to be vaping in the lab, and I need the chance to sit down and collect my thoughts for a few minutes.

I hope you feel better!

16. Vapian

Vapian Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2011
    Lexington, KY
    Retired Navy Chief, 20 years in submarine communications... now six years as a software test/product verification engineer. While I admit it's nice to vape indoors when the weather's bad, I'm too lazy or it's a day that ends in "y", I still step outside sometimes just to get off my .... every now and again.

From what I hear, a lot of Submariners have switched to vaping since the smoking lamp has been permanently extinguished on-board subs. I can only imagine that sooner or later one of them will be cranking out some seriously crazy mods... ;)

17. Maxine

Maxine Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Maine
    Wow, the room's filling up with retired Navy! I'm a retired Navy wife - my husband put in 20 (airdale). I'm "just" a housewife now, but I've always wanted to pretend to be an architect...

18. Sandybeach40

Sandybeach40 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    I work for the FDA/CIA joint task force. My current assignment is to monitor the Internet trafficking of ECigs and compile a list of all domestic vendors of electronical ciggarette nicotine liquid.

19. Maxine

Maxine Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Maine
    Maxwell Smart...

20. Big Fran

Big Fran Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 3, 2011
    Philadelphia,PA
    Hi all,

This is my first post. I'm a power transformer tech. I've been at this job for 25 years now and this comming November they are banning smoking anywhere on company property. This is what brought me to try vapeing. I got my first e cig about 3 weeks ago. I now have a fleet of mods. I stoped smokeing 2 weeks ago!!! I was a 2 pack a day smoker. I smoked for over 30 years and stoped in one week!!! I think the e cig is just magic.

Fran

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.