So what does everyone do for a living?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaporTrails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2011
Somewhere High.
I climb stuff. Telephone poles 4 days a week as a system tech for a large communications company. Mountains, routes, and peaks the other three days. (Also throw mountain biking into the mix as well) Been vaping and completely off tobacco since February this year. The transition from tobacco has been a nice life changing event for sure.

labgramma

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Denver, CO
www.ccrengines.com
We own a company which remanufactures Subaru engines. We sell them for gyrocopters, mud boats, VW Vanagon conversions, hovercraft, and of course, for Subaru cars. We ship nationwide and to (so far) 25 other countries.
As of today, my husband is now the only one at our company who still smokes cigarettes. But hey, he's the boss and...well, you know the rest.

Silent Soldier

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2011
Saint Petersburg, Florida USA
I'm unemployed as hell, trying to get through school to get my A.S in Computer engineering technology so I can hopefully get into a decent career. Vaping was supposed to save me a lot of money, but then I found the modders forum :( On the bright side I have learned a lot from modding so that's always a good thing.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
Produce man at a supermarket after a decade or two of cooking. Less stress, have not had a second degree burn in weeks, it's kinda nice, also boring.
Charging up my first battery as I type, so hopefully I'll smell better and have a bit of extra cash in the coming months. I need me some more fish tanks for breeding, and a bigger guitar amp for playing over a drummer again,.. ..:3

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
New career as a medical assistant (until I can finish my education and try to make a real paycheck). Vaping is working for me because the workplace is so low-key compared with my old career (coffee shop manager since the beginning of time), so I don't have nearly the amount of stress that I used to have.

I sometimes wonder how I would hold up if I had a high-stress job again (the kind where you have to smoke two at a time to get the "aaah" that you need before all hell breaks loose again).

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I am a chemist... And for those who wonder, when I get out of work, I have no desire to mix chemicals to make my own juice :glare:

Now that's funny!
anim_lol.gif

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
I sometimes wonder how I would hold up if I had a high-stress job again (the kind where you have to smoke two at a time to get the "aaah" that you need before all hell breaks loose again).

That's funny in a way as a database administrator, I crawl around in the bowels of IT and get blamed for all kinds of things that I have nothing to do with. All hell is always breaking loose somewhere. I sometimes wonder what I'll do when I don't have that.

GolemGolem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
Arkansas
Vaping is working for me because the workplace is so low-key compared with my old career (coffee shop manager since the beginning of time), so I don't have nearly the amount of stress that I used to have.

I worry about that a bit myself. I'm getting spoiled by my new job, a 15 min break every two hours? that you actually get? It's nuts. I'm used to one or two 5-10min breaks and no lunch on a 9-12 hour shift. Those breaks felt better, that one smoke - you could really it feel coursing through you and keeping you sane. So naturally I smoke a lot more now, because I have time to, and get a lot less from it. I wonder if it would of been easier or harder to make the transition back then.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
I am a chemist. Positively no vaping in the lab (that would be suicidal on many levels), but I do vape when I am in the office and my coworkers are very supportive.

And for those who wonder, when I get out of work, I have no desire to mix chemicals to make my own juice :glare:
Yippie! A fellow chemist at last! Alas, right now I do not work in a lab (used to, for 20+ years). I am a freelance lecturer (chemistry of course) and science journalist. E-cigs give me not only pleasure, but also some income, as I wrote the very first e-cigarettes manual (in Polish of course) - quite popular here (3 editions so far).
Aha - and I DO mix my own e-liquids, but that's because I do not work in the lab - you know, it's called longing.

I'm an unemployed electrician who's been working as a roofer. In my 50th year no less. All of my fellow roofers are pot heads and big time cigarette smokers so I can vape any time I feel the urge. I'm a good worker and usually only take vape breaks when the other guys stop to have a smoke but I can pull it out here and there when walking from place to place. Some of the guys have taken some interest in the vaporizer but I have a feeling none of these guys are going to take advantage. Eventually, I will learn to answer any questions a person may have about it and hopefully turn a lot of people on. Analogues be gone!

Heartisan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
North Cali
I work for a marketing company as a print shop manager. Since I'm surrounded by non-smokers I stealth vape in the bathroom or in the warehouse. Just passed my year anniversary, and no one has ever noticed the slight "cloud" that lingers occasionally. Although I have wondered if they think I have health problems since I'm in there longer than anyone else! :laugh:

sam.8

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm a policy analyst for gov't and deal with telecom industry. I'm fortunate to have an office in a back corner and can stealth at my desk. One of my coworkers is aware and sits near me. Given there are 40 people on the floor it's easier to just keep it quiet and not draw attention. I use a drip tip at my desk and then go outside with a coworker on their smoke break and switch to a carto. Works great.

Vapian

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2011
Lexington, KY
Hope you don't mind me asking - what's "smoking lamp"? Could you answer - if that's not top secret or classified. ;)

Not at all. :)

As someone else mentioned, in modern day use it's basically either a scheduled or announced time that either grants or denies permission to smoke. For example, during a fuel transfer "The Smoking Lamp is Out throughout the Ship" would be announced. When the fuel transfer was complete, "The Smoking Lamp is Lit in All Authorized Spaces" would be announced.

Historically, there actually used to be a literal "smoking lamp". When Sailors first started smoking aboard ships matches weren't a common item, so a lamp would be lit topside during times that smoking was authorized and Sailors used the lamp to light up. If the smoking lamp was out for any reason, no smoking... and when the smoking lamp was lit again, word would spread to let the Sailors know. Also, since old ships were made of wood and warships carried gunpowder, you didn't want folks running around with lit smokes so the smoking lamp also often served to identify the authorized smoking area - usually topside and near the galley where an accidental fire could be more easily put out.

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Not at all. :)
Thanks, Vapian for the whole story. I learned pretty much from it. Until now I was sure that smoking was only permitted when the sail (I guess this is the proper name) was open - ie. on surface.
BTW, I always admired submarine Sailors - especially after visiting a sub when I was in Halifax, NS. Living there (and working) is quite difficult, I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread