Soldering Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
I'm trying to find a decent soldering iron to buy. I'd like to find something that has a light for when it is on/off, even better if it had a light for when it was heated up to proper temp. A good long cord would be nice too.

When I've done searches on soldering irons, the prices range from $10 up to $200+. I'm not looking for a super duper $200+ model or a cheapy junker $10 model. I'm wondering if anyone can point me out to a $30-$50 good one.

I've also noticed a "cold" soldering iron. The details on it sounds nice, but all the reviews I've read for them have been bad. Anyone have experience with these for mod making?

VaporX

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2009
Jersey
Weller is an excellent brand and has a range of products, if you can get an adjustable temp one go for it, it will last you a long time.

cold heat is good for small jobs and repairs to circuits while not near mains power. small butane powered irons are the predecessor and fill the same gap but have some more power.

Maintenance is important, keep the tip clean and tinned.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
I've been using this one for a couple of months. It works great.
ZD-99 MINI SOLDER STATION($14.95). It's the second one down on the page.
15860.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The cold heat iron uses the voltage from the batteries to generate the heat at the tip. There is a tiny space (crack) between the positive and negative tips and you complete the circuit when you touch the metal to be soldered. I've been soldering for over 30 years and I broke the tip the second time I used it. You have to wiggle the tips and press to make contact. It's probably OK for very delicate work, but not for E-cig soldering.

A dual heat soldering station with 20/40 or 30/60 watts is probably enough, but you might need a Weller gun occasionally if you are manufacturing an atomizer or building mods with larger surface areas.

Last edited:

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Now that one looks like a winner and for only $14.95, almost sounds to good to be true.

I got one from them, it's adjustable(5-50 watt), heats up pretty quick & works well. The tips is lasting also. I went ahead & got some extras, $1.95 ea. I'm happy with it, it does everything I've needed so far in my modding.

I've got one of the cold heat ones also. I'm not particularly fond of it. If it were smaller, it would have an atty sticking out of it.:)

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
I got one from them, it's adjustable(5-50 watt), heats up pretty quick & works well. The tips is lasting also. I went ahead & got some extras, $1.95 ea. I'm happy with it, it does everything I've needed so far in my modding.

I've got one of the cold heat ones also. I'm not particularly fond of it. If it were smaller, it would have an atty sticking out of it.:)

Well, I went ahead and ordered that soldering station.

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
It works great for me. I've got a 30 watt & a 40 watt pencil iron & this blows them both away. I like the fine tip on it.

I have the one that Madvape sells and I really don't like it. It's just the bare basics. This one you pointed out looks pretty good and it wasn't something that was gonna break the bank.

karmatized

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
New York USA
www.happysmokes.com
Trust me when i say, dont mess with throw away irons. The one at madvapes is a radioshackie end up in a box of wires iron. Trust me i have 2 of those sitting in a box. if you want to actually solder more then once, make a hobby out of it or even a business your going to need something a little better.

Better doesnt mean its going to cost you more, whats the metal made out of, what kind of tops does it use. does it feel good in your hand. Does the handle get too warm??? alll valid questions.

Weller Weller Sp12 Mini Iron 12 Watt | SP12 | Weller for a single pencil tip monster thats stupid cheap $14 dollars.

if not that then go with the
Amazon.com: Weller WM120 12w/120v Pencil Thin Soldering Iron: Home Improvement
wm120 for around $40 dollars supports a slew of tips.

and if you want to go into real stuff then invest into a real wellar station which can run for a lot more.

They are 12w. they go up to 800degrees just about as hot as those bulky stations.
Those stations aren't made for us. They are made more for jewelers and such to lower the temperature.

Last edited:

karmatized

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
New York USA
www.happysmokes.com
A thin iron = more precise control, your able to use your fine motor writing muscles instead of just the hand alone. There is a double edged sword to soldering. Its not always about what you are doing. What are you soldering too. Thats a big part, for example if your making a pipe bomb type ecig mod your going to need something a lot hotter then any of the ones listed in the thread to properly heat the area of the pipe.

Last edited:

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Good recomendation Sci. Hope it does well for you Toker.

Just for info - I sprung and got an Aoyue 2900 from SRA (Stan Runbinstein and Associates) and am LOVING :wub: it. It heats up in about 30 Seconds and with the finer tips there is not much I shy away from or have problems with except the QFN format and similar surface mount mass component soldered methods required by these.

They don't display all the tips on Amazon but if you go directly to their site you'll find a wider selection. Great investment (for me)

As a bonus - the display is the actual tip temp and it beeps to tell you when you are at temp.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Here's the info for the iron I linked & have been using for all of my mods:

ZD Electronic Tools
General purpose solder station for the hobbyist.
Adjustable from 5 to 50 Watt (800 deg. F max) heat output for repairing PC boards to soldering transformer terminals.
Station provides on-off switch, knob to control wattage, built-in stand, tip cleaning sponge & 1/32" point tip.
115 VAC line.
Base L: 5-5/8” W: 4-9/16” T: 3-5/8” WT: 1.8

It's light, easy to maneuver, & works well for the fine solder joints we use in here.

Toker

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2010
Georgia
Should be here on 6/29, just 2 more days to wait for it. Then I can work on fixing my first mod.....and once that is done, the sky is the limit. :D

I've been sitting here with my first mod on my desk and every day I look at it and think of things to try to do different than I had originally tried. Either way, it's fun and a very different learning experience.

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Should be here on 6/29, just 2 more days to wait for it. Then I can work on fixing my first mod.....and once that is done, the sky is the limit. :D

I've been sitting here with my first mod on my desk and every day I look at it and think of things to try to do different than I had originally tried. Either way, it's fun and a very different learning experience.

Actually, it's an addiction.:) Don't forget, if you run into any problems, just ask. There are a lot of good people in here willing to give a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread