Solid Brass Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I was almost ready to do it a couple weeks back after some pondering on it i decided to wait . I have to many pots on the fire at this point . A pain to keep clean is a understatement . The weight alone would freak most people out a brass grand is going to be heavy . A brass grand would be the rats __ to look at . I will send them to your place for polishing

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Copper.

Copper is so much more worth letting get dirty and patina. IMO brass kind of looks "wrong" when you don't keep up with cleaning and polishing it, where copper just starts to look cool as hell. You can just let it get dirty.

There is ONE tube mod in my house, and that's the Clone V1 from Stealth vape in the UK. It's a copper Nemesis clone, with STAR WARS engravings on it instead of the Nemesis replica engravings. I had to... I just had to... lol

Anyways, the more patina it develops, the more bad ayus it looks. I drool at the thought of a real copper Reo. I've even spent some time googling and researching how to possibly copper plate 6061 aluminum, 'cause I want to see and own a real copper Reo so damn badly.

Last edited:

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
It's the heft that is the alure...at least for me...I like a good heavy mod, nimble and fuel efficient as a Russian tractor...

I'd just leave it tumbled (TRB?)...in fact I'd question even tumbling it, I'd take it complete with all the milling marks, that'd be a cool look, I love that "industrial" thing

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
... I've even spent some time googling and researching how to possibly copper plate 6061 aluminum, 'cause I want to see and own a real copper Reo so damn badly.

That would be cool...I'd also love a Grand to match my watch...

Rose Gold.jpg

I love that Rose Gold thing...how about it Rob, a Rose Gold Grand?...you'll probably want to try and collect as much of the shavings as possible from the machining process...

Funk Dracula

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Earth
Copper for uber conductivity. I would buy copper.

It's not just conductivity, it's just easier to deal with.

I don't even use my copper Clone V1, I was done with tube mods awhile ago. It's the spare mod and conversation piece I grab and bring with me to sessions for those who are always asking to bum a hit off of my Reo. The more people that handle and use it, the more dark and cool looking it has gotten.

I'd pay a pretty penny for a copper Reo. ( <--- see what I did there? :D)

pesky_human

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Greeley, CO
www.peskyhumans.com
I was almost ready to do it a couple weeks back after some pondering on it i decided to wait . I have to many pots on the fire at this point . A pain to keep clean is a understatement . The weight alone would freak most people out a brass grand is going to be heavy . A brass grand would be the rats __ to look at . I will send them to your place for polishing

Pssshhhhh. Lightweights.

I mean, all you would really have to do would be to fire up the old Baldor buffer with some green jeweler's rouge and throw a little shine on it... every couple of hours. ;)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Googling the machining of copper and checking out a few machinist forums...from what I can tell most machinists hate it, it's like machining a hot glue stick...it's grabby, it rips more than it cuts, it clogs end mills in seconds...ever try and cut a chunk of copper tube with a hacksaw?

It was actually kind of validating reading that...as some of you know, I make my own center pins for the Atomics so I can hybrid them for a direct connection...I tried making one out of copper rod (instead of brass), long story short, 5 drill bits, 5 pieces of copper rod, 5 failures...anything deeper than a 1/2" center hole and it would just grab the bit and snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread