Some tanks just too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolas

Aug 14, 2015
Hey all. I have been vaping for a few years now and I have to say my god has the technology come a long way from the first units that I have used. I had been using my iLeaf 40 watt mod with a smaller tank on it for quite some time. Recently I have been interested in upgrading my stuff to see what else is out there. I watch indoor smokers a lot (purely for entertainment) and so I thought ok I will try something new out. I bought a Magkit which comes with the prince tank. Everything about the setup is great and works really well. I have noticed the new giant coils compared to the older ones in smaller tanks have come a long way as well. I don't get dry hits and I get MASSIVE clouds. However, I can say that since I switched to my new rig I think it is honestly just too much. I notice the flavors are not as good as my Tobeco tank and although they new rig works perfectly I think you just get too much vapor. It makes my stomach nauseated, which I assume is because I am just getting too much nicotine. I only use 3mg juice and it is still too much, which is kind of crazy. I am assuming this is not limited to just the new prince tank, but a lot of new tanks. I have honestly just been using my older setup over the new one. I also got a new sqounk mod on the way, which I have never tried before so I am excited to see how that works. Just wanted to see what you guys thought in general.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
IMHO, it is simply a case of "one man's treasure is another man's junk." It comes down to what works best for each of us.....a big part of the reason I rotate through several different setups. I like variety!

As to your comment about flavor, one thing I do believe is the higher wattage gear gives a wider range for dialing in. At least it stands to reason to me that with a wattage range of 20-40 watts (add in the different coils increasing that range as high as 60-80 watts), there is a lot more room for adjustment then gear that has a 5-10 watt range. I don't know haw many different flavors you tried in the Prince. I have a few flavors I just loved in a 30 watt setup that just didn't work when I tried them in a 90 watt setup. And a few flavors I started out at higher wattage that just seemed not as good in my "lower" gear. Just another reason I switch it up throughout the day.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
To me, the e-Cigarette market in general has Progressively Moved towards Bigger.

Bigger Atomizers that hold more e-Liquid. Bigger Wire to make Bigger Coils to go into Bigger Atomizers with Bigger Airflow. Bigger Mods to fit Bigger Atomizers. More Watts to drive Lower and Lower ohm coils. And Multiple Batteries, or Larger Batteries, to push out more Watts/Amps.

And that's all Great if a Person wants More and Bigger Clouds.

But for those who are Happy with the Amount of Vapor they are getting right Now, much of the Newer Stuff isn't all that Interesting.

I'm a Card Carrying Flavor Chaser. I also know how to Build so that I Don't need Ultra Low Ohms to get to where I want to go. So I run mainly Reduced Chamber Single Coil RTA's and BF RDA's.

The Coil Master Elfy RTA and the Narda BF RDA are good examples to me of RTA's/RDA's that were designed around the person who chooses Flavor or Clouds.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It is like taking a b-o-n-g rip of nicotine. I am interested to see how the sqounk mod works for me. I will take your advice do a single coil build on it. I just want to get a moderate hit with great flavor.

BTW - What Squonker did you get?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I will say the lowest I have tried the prince is 50 watts due to it's higher recommended wattage rating. I will try it at lower wattage as well.

Depending on which coil you are using, 50 watts may be too low. If using the Q4 ("best at 60-80W"), 50 and a bit lower is doable, but might try cutting down the airflow as well. I have tried all the coils and for me, I prefer the flavor using the X6 or T10 and stay around 68-86 watts (near or below their "best at" bottom end.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I got the BF Pulse Kit.

Cool. I have read a Ton of Good Things about it.

Just understand that it the Pulse is a Pure Mech Mod. So you have to understand Exactly how many Amps you Battery can Handle. And How Many Amps your build is asking the battery to provide.

Let Us know if you need any help with it. Or if there is Anything you are Unclear of regarding a Mech Mod or calculating Amps.

Scy123

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Canada
I have the Pulse BF kit. It's great! Loved the flavor I get from dripping but didn't like dripping so this is win win.

Just gotta be safe and know what you are doing since it is a mech. Use steam engine to calculate amp draw if you don't know how.

The 20700 batteries are beast. May want to look into getting them as they have higher amp limits then 18650.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
There are three general categories that vapers fall in.

1) people who do mouth to lung inhalation

2) people who do restricted lung inhalation

3) people who do direct lung inhalation

These three categories of vaping work within - generally speaking - a certain wattage range.

Mtl inhalation techniques work best at low or lower wattages, restricted lung techniques work best at what might be considered mid range wattages and direct lung techniques work best at higher wattages...

Therefore there are fairly well two types of attys made, mtl attys that also have an airflow range for the lower wattage restricted lung vapers, and the higher wattage direct lung attys that can be adjusted down to also accommodate those restricted lung in the mid range. There are some mtl and dl attys that accommodate no real middle ground, however. ..

Some people enjoy vaping at the extremes, and some people enjoy the middle... each person is different of course and the general mindset is so long as no one is smoking it's all good, but until you get used to what type of vaping works with which atty, then you will probably like to ask just to make sure your getting the right atty for you, prior to a purchase.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks a lot I appreciate that. So I bought some prebuilt coils from coilology which has a bunch of coils ranging from .2 to .4. I have a couple of 18650 batteries rated for 35 amps. I have never used a mechanical mod. From what I have read I should be using a build in relation to the 35 amps battery capacity.

For a e-Cigarette Battery, you should Only look at the Constant Discharge Rating (CDR) and Never use a "Pulse" Rating.

Here is a Table that our resident Battery Expert Mooch compiled from actual Test Results.

03d9bb98-01eb-4d26-88e7-235ffaf5099c-jpeg.712771

18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With | E-Cigarette Forum

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok I will get a couple of those 20700s.

Nothing wrong with using a 18650's. All of my Squonkers use 18650's. You just have to allow for the Amp Rating for a Given Battery.

I use LG HG2 18650's which have a 20A CDR. And a typical Single Coil build would be around 0.3 ~ 0.35.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It can be hard at first knowing what you will gravitate to, I am really not a fan of clouds and am pretty firmly in the MTL camp. It is important to know that, like you said, with a direct lung inhale you are inhaling far more vapor than with your old equipment, so you will need to dial your nicotine way back as you are experimenting with flavor/clouds/build so that you don't get nicotine overload. At the right nic level many folks enjoy blowing clouds AND a more restricted hit. As you play around with wattage and coils, I would get some lower strength nicotine for those experiments... It is certainly possible to get flavor with clouds, and flavor with MTL and over time it just tends to become more of a preference. I will say that as I continued to vape I did become more willing to have coils with lower resistances, and to have slightly more clouds, but when I am vaping on a consistently cloudier device, I need to dilute my more traditional 18 mg/ml nic so that I won't get sick.

Just wanted to mention that part. You may find at the right nic level and wattage, flavor ends up shining more for you, or you may find that you just prefer more MTL vaping and there is nothing wrong with either.

I hope you enjoy your squonker. :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread