Some Theological (and other) Thoughts on Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
I dont put much stalk in what preachers think. IMO its a coin toss which is worse Religion or Government. From where I sit they are the major cause of most of the trouble in the world. I try to stand aside and let them duke it out amongst them selves.

I do agree to an extent. What I have noticed is most atheists and anti-theologians seem to ignore the good religion has brought and just focus on the bad it has also caused.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
All the baseball games I go to I sing the Star Bangled Banner in a normal voice...my kids always say to me afterwards.. dad people were looking at you... I always say good....maybe they will learn some respect for their country. Then tell them they need to stand straighter and taller next time.

I would just like to see everyone take off their damned hats.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I am from England, we got rid of our puritans 3 or 4 centuries ago, I wonder what happened to them.

Puritans have little relationship with the American Baptists. Actually, while certainly the Puritans had a lot of rules, when it came to consuming things like ale or wine or smoking tobacco, such were not even on the table as an issue. Moderation, however, was. They actually held a bit closer to the letter of the Gospel as quoted by the OP. Except they did tend to be rather more insular...thus rather more judgmental of those outside their sect. Just because they were called "Puritans" had nothing really to do with being personally "pure" (as defined by sexual fidelity, sobriety and abstinence from stimulants such as tobacco, etc.) The name Puritan referred to their adhering to the laws described in the Bible over the rules issued by Rome and the official Church.

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank you for this post! Very encouraging. I think that smoking, vaping, drinking alcohol, or anything else becomes sinful if we are going to them instead of going to God first for our satisfaction. For example, if I had a bad day, am I first reaching for that whiskey bottle and pouring myself a drink, or am I first unloading my burdens onto God. He wants us to find our peace in Him first.

djeaton

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2013
Canton, GA
CrankUpTheJuice.com
...And also good for you that you discovered it when you have since chances are good that regulations will change the ability to get flavored juices for future vapors. Finding out about it now & making your own flavors means you won't lose anything if/when any regulations take place that get rid of flavored juices.
I mix my own already. Trying to stock up on flavors and rebuildables just in case. I have 40 flavors in stock right now, with more being ordered next week. I can see the FDA regulating pre-mixed juice with nicotine. But just how would/could they stop the purchase of raw flavor extracts? I don't know. But I'm trying to play it safe. :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Thank you for this post! Very encouraging. I think that smoking, vaping, drinking alcohol, or anything else becomes sinful if we are going to them instead of going to God first for our satisfaction. For example, if I had a bad day, am I first reaching for that whiskey bottle and pouring myself a drink, or am I first unloading my burdens onto God. He wants us to find our peace in Him first.
Wow, thanks for that... I've never heard it put that way before.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
I dont put much stalk in what preachers think. IMO its a coin toss which is worse Religion or Government. From where I sit they are the major cause of most of the trouble in the world. I try to stand aside and let them duke it out amongst them selves.

the problem is that they're not "duking it out"- the problem is they're in cahoots. that is why I am libertarian atheist- don't let any of it bother me and VAPE on!

GypsySyx

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Everyone should just tend to their own business and .... out of mine.

If someone walked up to me while I was vaping or doing anything else that wasn't hurting anyone or anything and started preaching to me about what god or Jesus thinks of what I was doing, I'd probaby either laugh in their face or get pretty annoye, , depending on my mood at the moment.

But in either case I'd tell them to get lost and mind their own business. Proselytism, evangelicism (most -isms as a matter of fact) just annoy the living crap out of me.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
But in either case I'd tell them to get lost and mind their own business. Proselytism, evangelicism (most -isms as a matter of fact) just annoy the living crap out of me.

But you know what wouldn't annoy the living crap out of you? Amwayism. I have an amazing array of products I'd like to sell you and perhaps introduce you to a wonderful income opportunity!

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I do agree to an extent. What I have noticed is most atheists and anti-theologians seem to ignore the good religion has brought and just focus on the bad it has also caused.

the problem is that they're not "duking it out"- the problem is they're in cahoots. that is why I am libertarian atheist- don't let any of it bother me and VAPE on!

Im not an atheist. God and I get along just fine. How many people are killed daily in the name of religion? Yes they do some good there is no denying that. Im just of the opinion God dont care if I get dressed up and go to church and do as some other people think I should. Im of the opinion thats why he blessed me with a mind to think for my self.

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
Has the "emerging church" been mentioned yet? It's my bedtime and I can't read all these pages. I enjoyed Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz", and... I hate to admit this, but I forget the name of another book... it's a contemporary theology book done in narrative form that has a character named Neo in it... It has nothing to do with "The Matrix", but it can be considered part of the emerging church.

Real quick, though...

I am a Bible-believing, "born again" Christian. But I am also a moral relativist and a realist. The traditional values and the old-school "alter call/guilt you into salvation" thing is mostly limited (to my knowledge) to the south, or the deep south. A lot of old-school sects and denominations are dying out. I do not mention this to celebrate this in any way whatsoever.

I have nothing at all to say about the Catholic church, either good or ill, because I am woefully ignorant of how it works personally. It was never my "denomination". I do appreciate and think elaborate Catholic rituals are satisfying in a mystical sense. The incense (you Orthodox and Coptics get all the cool toys and outfits), the chanting, the wardrobe (no jokes about you know what, it's not appropriate in this thread or in this forum, take it outside), it all gives it this awesome mystical feeling that a lot of contemporary churches lack, and many secular people crave.

As far as religion and vaping goes, I see no issues whatsoever. If you are strictly religious and vaping gives you a sense of conviction, do what you think you should do. Stop if you think you must, or continue. As a Believer you will have that Spirit of Discernment. It's internal. You'll know it. Follow your heart and soul and mind and if things don't align, trust your instinct.

Glad someone brought this up.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Among the more conservative (and legalistic) denomination like Independent Baptists, the prohibition against things like smoking and drinking (and any other kind of fun!) is pretty common. Just Google "is smoking a sin". LOL

As an member of Independent Baptists, this statement just made me a little sad. If you could just hear the laughter before, During, and after our sunday service- and at our picnics and get-togethers...

Penn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 19, 2013
    In the wilderness
    Im not an atheist. God and I get along just fine. How many people are killed daily in the name of religion? Yes they do some good there is no denying that. Im just of the opinion God dont care if I get dressed up and go to church and do as some other people think I should. Im of the opinion thats why he blessed me with a mind to think for my self.

If I thought you were the type of person I was referencing I wouldn't have commented. I've learned it is impossible to have a real conversation with most who take the mentality I mentioned.

It is nice to see the OP uses religion to truly find peace within himself. I guess I should have stated that to begin with, lol.

djeaton

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 17, 2013
    Canton, GA
    CrankUpTheJuice.com
    As an member of Independent Baptists, this statement just made me a little sad. If you could just hear the laughter before, During, and after our sunday service- and at our picnics and get-togethers...
    I spent a couple of decades in Independent Baptist churches. I'm not saying that they don't laugh. But one can both laugh AND be legalistic about things. Most of the preaching that I heard in the churches that I grew up in was AGAINST a long list of "thou shall not" things. Everything from smoking to drinking to movies to rock music to pants on women or long hair on men was on a long list of things that "good" Christians didn't do. We didn't even have a TV in our house because it was "worldly" entertainment. So I know whereof I speak.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
    Sep 23, 2012
    Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
    What a awesome way and reason to vape! Kudos for your ingenuity :)

It seems to me that the issue is not who yours, but theirs.

They perceive that what you are doing appears as something that might be "bad"(for brevitys sake).

I do not mean this in a derogatory way, but their ignorance (not knowing a variety of factors about your vaping) is what needs to be addressed.

Example:

A man is walking down a dark street and sees a scraggly looking man pulling a very well dressed woman backwards towards him grunting while she gasps an gags, viciously struggling to "get away", as he continues to pull her waist (struggling) towards him.

The observer thumps him over the head, "saving" her and disabling the man.

She falls on the ground, choking and dies.

Later it's found out that they had just walked out of a restaurant 1/2 a block up, and she was choking on a crust of bread she grabbed from her "doggie bag"
    The "assailant" was her husband, a minister, who has worked all day doing charity mechanical work and was between haircuts.

And, of course, he was attempting to perform a Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the obstruction.

Appearances and perceptions. So much in life is gray area like the vapor in which we exhale.

So basically I would remind those of whom you speak (that think walking around with that proverbial "beam" in their eye is an appropriate fashion statement) of these nuggets of knowledge:

Do All to the Glory of God (from 1st Corinthians 10)

23 “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up. 24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. 25 Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 26 For “the earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof.” 27 If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. 28 But if someone says to you, “This has been offered in sacrifice,” then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience— 29 I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else’s conscience? 30 If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?

But this, this, good gentle friend speaks to the very core of worshiping "in spirit". ( Remember " the spirit giveth life" and "worship in spirit")

From Colossians 2:

Freedom From Human Rules

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Vape on!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread