Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Why is it that all of a sudden all these people are getting sick? For the anti vaping zealots this is something that seems to good to be true. I've been at it for 15 years and today there are 10.8 million Americans using ecigs and all of a sudden in the past week hundreds of people get sick?

I don't think vaping is the problem, WHAT they were vaping is the problem. The CDC and doctors don't seem to be interested in testing the juice to find out what they vaped that made them sick or even looking at their atomizers. I hope the industry and vaping support organizations are looking into this because it all seems a little unlikely. The history has been that some group will do a study that “proves” that vaping is bad for you and it will be all over the internet, then the study becomes widely discredited. Unfortunately I don't think this current scare is something that can go down the same way, but personally I'm not going to quit vaping and go back to smoking just yet.

I haven't seen "hundreds" getting sick, but the stories I did see seemed to indicate that it was NOT nicotine based juice that they were vaping, but was in fact the "other" stuff that we are not allowed to talk about here and is only legal in a few states now.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Fair enough. Like I said, I do not know when the term was coined. I can imagine when it was coined, for e-cig use, no one foresaw this level of negativity. The purpose of my post was to identify that the action of vaping for consumption, has been used with other products and for quite some time.
I remember it being pretty new. I remember it not being used at all and then there was this giant push for it a few years ago.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
May be overly pessimistic. We don’t know what the CDC is doing. It could very well be the clown car you describe though. I get the impression the CDC is one of the few remaining more or less uncorrpted agencies though. Even the big money is too scared to wreck the CDC, unlike the FDA, and a bunch of other agencies that used to work a lot better than they do now. It deals with seriously important life-or-death things on a world wide scale that affect even rich people directly.
As far as smoking and vaping are concerned, the CDC is utterly corrupt. Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the garbage they spout. The only difference between them and the FDA is that FDA has enforcement powers.
CDC Tobacco Free (@CDCTobaccoFree) | Twitter

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
As far as smoking and vaping are concerned, the CDC is utterly corrupt. Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the garbage they spout. The only difference between them and the FDA is that FDA has enforcement powers.
CDC Tobacco Free (@CDCTobaccoFree) | Twitter
I don’t do twitter. The whole thing is a cesspool. Finding garbage in a cesspool is unsurprising.
Is cdctobaccofree actually FROM the CDC or is it from tobaccofree? They’re different groups. Only one of the problems with twitter is near constant impersonation

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I don’t do twitter. The whole thing is a cesspool. Finding garbage in a cesspool is unsurprising.
Is cdctobaccofree actually FROM the CDC or is it from tobaccofree? They’re different groups. Only one of the problems with twitter is near constant impersonation
It's from the CDC. And don't boast about not doing Twitter as if it's some kind of virtue. All it means is that you don't know what the enemy is up to. Also, you could be helping to talk back to them.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It's from the CDC. And don't boast about not doing Twitter as if it's some kind of virtue. All it means is that you don't know what the enemy is up to. Also, you could be helping to talk back to them.
I didn’t say it was a virtue. Some people don’t like the sight of blood, some people can’t handle the presence of vomit. I can handle those, but I don’t like the sight of twitter. How did you confirm it was from the CDC?

I googled CDC twitter feed and found that the official CDC handle is #CDCgov

Last edited:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I didn’t say it was a virtue. Some people don’t like the sight of blood, some people can’t handle the presence of vomit. I can handle those, but I don’t like the sight of twitter. How did you confirm it was from the CDC?

I googled CDC twitter feed and found that the official CDC handle is #CDCgov
That's only one of their twitter feeds. There are 7 others that I keep an eye on! And that's not the whole list of CDC Twitter feeds, which you'd have to find out from them, if it's even possible. And it even has the vaunted blue checkmark, if you can't tell just from their messaging who they are.

• Optimistic

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That's only one of their twitter feeds. There are 7 others that I keep an eye on! And that's not the whole list of CDC Twitter feeds, which you'd have to find out from them, if it's even possible. And it even has the vaunted blue checkmark, if you can't tell just from their messaging who they are.
And you wonder why I won’t use the thing. Iirc anyone can make a twitter feed with the letters CDC in it.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Twitter is for twits. And yeah I bet some info is helpful but not ENOUGH.

You know the reflecting pool somewhere near Congress or whatever? I went there one nigh with some drunken waiter pals, and we got in it. There are a TON of ducks in that "reflecting pool and the water LOOKS nice, but it had about two inches of duck poop that my feet sunk into and it wasn't PLEASANT.

Twitter is a bit like that.

Anna

• Winner
Reactions: Beamslider

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So you’re saying that the CDC actually has a twitter account called CDCChronic. Somehow I doubt that. I’m sure that feed CLAIMS to be from the CDC. What does the actual CDC say though? CDCtobaccofree is even less likely as tobaccofree is a totally separate ANTZ group.

It’s not impossible you’re right, but from here it looks much more likely that you’ve been duped.

It’s not impossible also that there are people who work for the CDC at some minor level and are using that position to make claims. I’m kinda curious what #CDCgov thinks of all of this.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
So you’re saying that the CDC actually has a twitter account called CDCChronic. Somehow I doubt that. I’m sure that feed CLAIMS to be from the CDC. What does the actual CDC say though? CDCtobaccofree is even less likely as tobaccofree is a totally separate ANTZ group.

It’s not impossible you’re right, but from here it looks much more likely that you’ve been duped.

It’s not impossible also that there are people who work for the CDC at some minor level and are using that position to make claims. I’m kinda curious what #CDCgov thinks of all of this.
"CDC has a robust and growing Twitter presence. Currently, CDC supports more than 40 Twitter profiles connecting followers with information on a range of CDC health and safety topics."
Twitter Guidelines & Best Practices | Social Media | CDC

• Optimistic

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
Twitter is for twits. And yeah I bet some info is helpful but not ENOUGH.

You know the reflecting pool somewhere near Congress or whatever? I went there one nigh with some drunken waiter pals, and we got in it. There are a TON of ducks in that "reflecting pool and the water LOOKS nice, but it had about two inches of duck poop that my feet sunk into and it wasn't PLEASANT.

Twitter is a bit like that.

Anna
What you see depends on where you go. If you're a fly, you're attracted to the garbage dumpsters. That doesn't mean garbage dumpsters are the only thing that exists. And as I said, I'm keeping track of what the enemy is up to, and joining allies in talking back to them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Use your twitter feed in any way you like. It's completely up to you, you don't have to justify yourself to anyone.

I still have a very visceral kinetic memory of my bare feet not hitting what I assume would be some kind of tile or concrete or something but very slowly, sort of squishily sinking through two inches of duck poop on to a very slimy surface that was.... OMG. And, I was drunk. I just happen to feel that way about twitter, and I don't much feel like "dialoguing" or disagreeing with the CDC ANYWHERE they have SO many poisons AND freaking the last vial of polio. I'm not going to get into a fight with them about vaping, although their (surprisingly numerous I took a long look) fact sheets on vaping and vaping for teens SUCK and are entirely inaccurate. I printed out a few to give to teen vapers, more so they could enjoy them as I did although I work for a Federally Qualified Health care center, there are certain things I really am not ALLOWED to recommend including the evil herb, or like, anything tobacco related.

My HR document about smoking is SURPRISINGLY extensive, it lists about ALL forms of nic that cannot be consumed on the job, including snus, which is what I use. I have a feeling that not too many people (including HR, and other staff) know what it even IS really. I have not had an issue and it's been going on like 9 months. I just don't talk about it.

Anna

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Folks can aerosolize "oil" all day as far as I'm concerned. Their choice. But don't call it vaping. Common definition of vaping has been vaporizing nic juices forever. And that won't change unless we let it. There are many thousands of news outlets. There are 10 million of us. But we won't stop the appropriation of the term hiding in our closets with a Juul. Especially with all the help we've gotten from our loyal industry. Want to change public opinion, start there.

Oil and water don't mix. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Good luck all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread