Sony 18650 vtc5 and charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Can you guys recommend a good meter that covers everything I need to measure and keep everything in check?
Probably the easiest one would be a SMOK Omnitester.

A little more tricky to use, a digital multimeter covers all bases from measuring voltage and resistance, as well as troubleshooting shorts in the mod.

Keep in mind that this level of inexpensive meters will have a margin of error in precise readings.

Michael7

May 28, 2014
oregon
I'LL probably get stoned for saying this , but harbor freight has a cheapo multimeter for like $5 or if you get the newsletter u can get a free one like every month I found mine reads spot on with my ohm meter and its fine for reading voltage, but I also figure in for a .1 margin of error on either. Id also recommend getting an ohm meter 101 vape has em for like $15 they are great as a building platform and easier to read ohm than a multimeter. Do lots of research and when you think you know it all read some more.
I jumped from a ego to a mech, but I seriously spent at least 40 hrs reading up on safety and correct use , not to mention all the time spent watching videos. Just always be cautious and check your builds and batterys like ten times before use. Even with non sub ohm builds a short could occur and cause venting or explosion and dealing with either isn't good. I've gotten regular car battery acid in my eye before that wasn't hot and it burned like hell, I couldnt imagine a hot venting battery and getting that all over myself.
Just like anything in life if you do your research and play it safe you probably be fine.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Just keep in mind that if you ever start going very sub-ohm (.2 or less :facepalm:) most standard multimeters only measure ohms in 0.X range... i.e. 0.2 could be anywhere from 0.15 to 0.24 a dedicated ohm meter will give you more precise readings (even though ALL meters have a margin of error)

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
I'LL probably get stoned for saying this , but harbor freight has a cheapo multimeter for like $5 or if you get the newsletter u can get a free one like every month I found mine reads spot on with my ohm meter and its fine for reading voltage, but I also figure in for a .1 margin of error on either. Id also recommend getting an ohm meter 101 vape has em for like $15 they are great as a building platform and easier to read ohm than a multimeter. Do lots of research and when you think you know it all read some more.
I jumped from a ego to a mech, but I seriously spent at least 40 hrs reading up on safety and correct use , not to mention all the time spent watching videos. Just always be cautious and check your builds and batterys like ten times before use. Even with non sub ohm builds a short could occur and cause venting or explosion and dealing with either isn't good. I've gotten regular car battery acid in my eye before that wasn't hot and it burned like hell, I couldnt imagine a hot venting battery and getting that all over myself.
Just like anything in life if you do your research and play it safe you probably be fine.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk
I won't stone you. Measuring DC voltage is usually not too taxing and a variety of meters are capable of doing this quite well. I think the real difference comes in their ability to measure the resistance.

I purchased an Innova 3320 for myself and it checked it against the Flukes at work. The voltage was spot on and resistance was good down to 1.0 ohm (note: my meter only measures ohms to the tenths place). Since I'm not currently sub-ohming, that was $25 well spent. Oh, it also has audible continuity which is handy.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Harbor Freight meters are fine as long as the user knows and understands what it's telling them. The HF meter isn't an auto-ranging meter, so you have to interpret the results. There will be about .4 ohms of lead resistance to subtract and that's if you twist the plugs back and forth while to clean the connections touching the leads together to see when it bottoms out.

I'm waiting for someone to say that their sub ohm coil was .5 ohms on the meter, but it was really .1 ohms due to lead resistance.

I really hate that I had to turn in my Fluke 87 meter at retirement. My manager told me that all he needed was a working meter in the tool bag that had the company calibration sticker on it. I had an old Simpson digital at home that met the requirement, but couldn't find it at the time, so I gave back the Fluke. About 6 months later I found the Simpson upstairs in a drawer! It's still a good meter and it's auto-ranging.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Is that wrong :(

Not planning to sub ohm, but still went with a safe battery.

the allure is to great... way too many people on here telling you to start building with 24 ga at 4 wraps pushing .19-.22 ohms....
take your time learn about it.... you learned to ride a bicycle first, then the Ninja 900 came later?? ;)

kamello

Aug 30, 2014
Cairo
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: spamming for post count - please read the Rules

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
are they still available??

I don't think the one I have is available anymore... unless you find one at a yard sale/flea market/antique store... LOL... it's probably 30+ years old...

I found this one on amazon, but I'm not sure what the resolution is... (how low it will read)
http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-260-8...3125&sr=8-1&keywords=Analog+simpson+ohm+meter

They are pretty pricey though... usually upwards of $200

Of course, if you wanted to go nuts... Micro ohm meters do exist... this is a "cheap" one!
http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-High-...d=1409413542&sr=8-10&keywords=micro+ohm+meter

Thinking really hard about ordering one of these though! Decent digital milliohm meter for about $106
http://www.amazon.com/Vici-Vc480c-A...qid=1409415128&sr=8-1&keywords=milliohm+meter

Last edited:

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
I don't think the one I have is available anymore... unless you find one at a yard sale/flea market/antique store... LOL... it's probably 30+ years old...

I found this one on amazon, but I'm not sure what the resolution is... (how low it will read)
http://www.amazon.com/Simpson-260-8...3125&sr=8-1&keywords=Analog+simpson+ohm+meter

They are pretty pricey though... usually upwards of $200

Of course, if you wanted to go nuts... Micro ohm meters do exist... this is a "cheap" one!
http://www.amazon.com/RioRand-High-...d=1409413542&sr=8-10&keywords=micro+ohm+meter

Thinking really hard about ordering one of these though! Decent digital milliohm meter for about $106
http://www.amazon.com/Vici-Vc480c-A...qid=1409415128&sr=8-1&keywords=milliohm+meter
What's wrong with this one? It comes with free shipping!

http://www.mitchellinstrument.com/n...=froogle-hot&gclid=CPeJsfPMu8ACFaVZ7AodfikAVA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Simpson makes an awesome meter... I still have an analog Simpson... the absolutely most accurate ohm meter I've ever used!

This is the model I have. Mine was branded by Simpson with our Company logo. The nice part about the design is that you can set it on top of a counter, a shelf, or a piece of equipment and the display is always facing you instead of pointing at the ceiling. It's auto-ranging, measures pulses, and has a bar graph below the digits in the display (so that you can see LF pulses or relative voltage in real time from a distance).

379427.jpg

Last edited:

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA

Absolutely nothing wrong with that one! LOL
I had found one that was a bit more expensive than that one even... it hooked up to your computer and logged the results through LabView software...

This is the model I have. Mine was branded by Simpson with our Company logo. The nice part about the design is that you can set it on top of a counter, a shelf, or a piece of equipment and the display is always facing you instead of pointing at the ceiling. It's auto-ranging, measures pulses, and has a bar graph below the digits in the display (so that you can see LF pulses or relative voltage in real time from a distance).

379427.jpg

That is pretty awesome! I could certainly put some mileage on that piece of equipment!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread