Sony VTC6 18650 battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

furiouszagreb

Jun 21, 2017
He y'all. I think I'm having an issue with the battery I just bought 4 days ago, from an authorized shop in my country.

It'a about the green Sony VTC6 battery.
Yesterday, given my rising doubts, I decided to see how many SECONDS of vaping can I get out of it.

Started at 7504 secs when I inserted fully charged VTC6, and I had to replace it 8231 secs, which means I was able to get 727 seconds of vaping and strictly vaping (a little over 12 minutes in total) Well, that was very demoralizing. It lasted me like half a day, probably less.

So, is this somewhat normal or should I go to back to my shop to ask for a replacement? Because this just sucks, it barely if even lasted me half a day/727seconds of vaping/inhaling

Some more info:

Using the iStick Pico 25. Vaping in power mode, at 41.5w. Cleito is the tank.

Charged the battery for about 3 hours from ~ 5% - 100%, charged it using evic vtc mini I have left from before, with sony adapter (NOT a QC!) and a random micro usb cable connected to the evic vtc mini.

Could this be a charging issue? I dont see how, given the battery is a few days old and it gave me about 12 minutes of inhaling. I'm honestly just baffled.

Please help if you can

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Look at it this way: 3000 mAh * 3.7V = ~11 Wh of nominal capacity. So that cell should be able to produce 11 watts for one hour, but that's likely down to a lower voltage than you mod will allow.

You're vaping at 41.5 watts. Add a bit for losses in the mod's board and call that 44 watts being pulled from the battery. This means you should get 15 minutes. You're getting 12. Sounds about right given that your mod probably won't use the last few Wh in the battery...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Oh okay. I guess that makes sense! Thank you. Should I then buy 1/2 more and possibly a charger such as nitecore to be all set?
Sounds like a plan. Be sure not to carry your spare batteries "loose". Get a protective plastic case for them. Don't be that guy whose pants catch on fire! :)

Or get a mod that holds two or even three cells. That should give you enough capacity to last all day.

furiouszagreb

Jun 21, 2017
Sounds like a plan. Be sure not to carry your spare batteries "loose". Get a protective plastic case for them. Don't be that guy whose pants catch on fire! :)

Or get a mod that holds two or even three cells. That should give you enough capacity to last all day.
To be honest, I was thinking about buying a dual battery mod, but I do love my Pico because it's so damn small and compact. So I'll trade the compactness for carrying 2 batteries.

Thanks for the help!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
but I do love my Pico because it's so damn small and compact.
I understand completely. All my mods are single 18650s. But I'm an MTL vaper at 15-20 watts, so one cell lasts me most of the day. That said, if I go out all day, I will take two mods with me, because backups are good. "Two is one and one is none." :D

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
To be honest, I was thinking about buying a dual battery mod, but I do love my Pico because it's so damn small and compact. So I'll trade the compactness for carrying 2 batteries.

Thanks for the help!
Eleaf Invoke is a compact dual 18650.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I understand completely. All my mods are single 18650s. But I'm an MTL vaper at 15-20 watts, so one cell lasts me most of the day. That said, if I go out all day, I will take two mods with me, because backups are good. "Two is one and one is none." :D
I carry backups as well when leaving the house for an hour or more. Always swap my batteries on the way out the door, fill my tank, and still carry a bottle of liquid with me.

On top of that, I usually pocket a pico with a Wasp Nano RDTA on it as a backup for my backups. :D

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think if you love your mod, carrying batteries is a good idea. You are vaping sub0hm and so you are using more battery and juice. I will say, from the brief time I owned a pic, I wasn't very impressed with the board's efficiency, I felt like I was switching the battery out constantly, even vaping well under 20 watts. With that said if you love the mod, carrying some extra batteries and or stashing them somewhere at work should present very little hardship.

I will say the Eleaf Invoke is one of my favorite mods, and while it may actually use the same power board as the Pico, I do get a lot better battery life, but that's probably due to the fact that I am using a higher resistance coil than in the Pico, so my wattages are even lower, and I get two battery "life" out of it. It is among the smallest form factor 2 battery mods, and is really almost as small and light as a one battery mod, without sacrificing build quality, it really is nicely designed and well built despite being very light. I've dropped mine a few times and absolutely nothing bad has happened. I won the kit actually but it is one of my favorite wins to date, and I really love this mod. Since I likely wouldn't have purchased it otherwise, I'm really glad I did. It might be looking into, and in some ways easier than carrying a pico and two sets of batteries for it.

And yes, you are correct, if you keep the pico you will need to get a dedicated charger and probably bring at least two charged batteries with you to keep you going over the course of a day.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Anna

Reactions: DaveP

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Different mods are more battery/energy efficient than others. In my personal experience, mods with a DNA chipset are more battery efficient than those with "generic" boards. For example:

In the last year I have used three regulated mods:

A 3-battery RX200
A 2-battery Segelei Fuschai 213 Plus
A single battery JAC Vapour series B DNA75W
I have rotated the same batteries, purchased at the same time from the same trusted supplier (IMR Batteries) in all three mods. Samsung 30Q 3000mah 15amp, same specs as your Sony VTC6. I get a full days use vaping at 30 watts in all three mods. I attribute the better battery efficiency of the JAC to its DNA board.

images

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I get more run time in my Therions with the VTC6 than the 30q. Close to two full days with the VTC6 vs day and a half from 30q. All 3 of my dailies are DNA and I am generally set at 23-24w. Tend to pull my batteries at 3.8 or 3.7 to rest before charging.

HawaiianVaporTrailz

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2015
With the exception of my Kaos Spectrum, all of my mods are single battery 18650’s, and will last me the entire day on one battery.

There are many factors involved, but it looks like:
1. You have a pair of dud batteries, or worse yet, they might be rip-offs. Bring them back to your vape shop and do an exchange.
2. Perhaps your wattage is too high?
3. Do you Mouth to lung vape, or direct to lung? Direct to lung will eat up more battery power, especially if you do long draws.
4. An external charger would be better. Most of today’s mods have onboard charging of 2 amps, which shortens overall battery life. I have an eFest Luc V2 and it can charge in either 0.5 amp or 1 amp.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Electronics make a difference in battery life. At 10W vaping levels I get all day vaping into the next morning from a Pico 75W on a single VTC6 or 30Q. With the Eleaf Invoke I get about a day on 2 of the same batts.

Of course hit count or coil on time is a better reference for battery life. Not all mods feature hit count.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vaping styles differ with wattage used, ohms, chipset and how many ml of e-liquid vaped in a day.
I use 75w dna mods 1 sony vtc6 @12.5w with 1 ohm clr coilhead last the whole day with about 8ml vaped.

I agree. My daily juice use is about 10ml.

I was surprised that my Pico 75 could go all day on a single 30Q or VTC6 at 10W, but the Invoke took two of the same batts for the same vaping time. Heavier current draw from the mod's electronics obviously was the difference. Both have TC and power mode and were running at 10W in power mode. Both get vaped the same way in a day at the same wattage. Hardware overhead in the electronics is obviously the difference. The Pico 75W wins for power efficiency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread