Soo advice about Vaping and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thefreeze336

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Winston Salem, NC
www.facebook.com
Any advice on how to go to my HR rep and get them to lift the office ban on vaping inside? I feel like they are considering it a tabacco product :(

I have been vaping inside, no problems for a month or more. My manager doesn't mind; but the HR said it's a violation of the safety in the office I guess, and passed it down via my manager that I am to stop.

Any advice on a well written email to her, to try and sway her mind to change?

Thanks!

UnclePsyko

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
PJNY
Maybe they think its very unprofessional but i think that you should definitely write something to them! A little note of information wont hurt.

What he said! Perhaps ask if you were to not "vape in public" so to speak. It could be the "Unprofessional" image it sends. Maybe they would be ok if you just didn't vape out in the general area but take it out of wide view?

Thefreeze336

Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Winston Salem, NC
www.facebook.com
These are all great ideas. I don't know what the real issue is. I will go to our HR lady tomorrow and ask her what is wrong with vaping, in her opinion; to see what she says. That will give me a better idea, and more ammo, on how to leverage my defense. I mean, I vape in my cubicle, and I can stealth vape no problem. But now I'm worried about getting written up (which my manager said could happen)

And @Kansas, I was the boss until I made a career switch :p

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Use the CASAA material, and offer to meet with the HR manager privately to address any further concerns he/she has after reviewing the material you provide, or if they want to actually see how a PV works and, the minimal heat it generates.

In the end, if you aren't allowed, don't push it, respect it and let it go, you did all you could to educate HR and, to change policy.

good_apollo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2013
allen, texas merica
Seriously? Why are you even asking? Employers are not democracies. They set whatever rules and regulations they want as long as they aren't illegal. If they said you can't do it....don't. I'm Sure you probably want a different answer, but I'm Sure you didn't smoke at work, and it's not just you that works there. As a manager in HR, If hr is talking to you about not doing it, two things have happened.
1. MULTIPLE people have complained about your vaping.
2. YOU WILL GET FIRED VERY SOON IF YOU DON'T STOP.
I understand that we think it is harmless, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people. Just because a place doesn't have a "No vaping" sign doesn't mean we can fire it up. That kind of arrogance is what will get it banned everywhere.

WV_Mountaineer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2011
Almost Heaven
Seriously? Why are you even asking? Employers are not democracies. They set whatever rules and regulations they want as long as they aren't illegal. If they said you can't do it....don't. I'm Sure you probably want a different answer, but I'm Sure you didn't smoke at work, and it's not just you that works there. As a manager in HR, If hr is talking to you about not doing it, two things have happened.
1. MULTIPLE people have complained about your vaping.
2. YOU WILL GET FIRED VERY SOON IF YOU DON'T STOP.
I understand that we think it is harmless, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people. Just because a place doesn't have a "No vaping" sign doesn't mean we can fire it up. That kind of arrogance is what will get it banned everywhere.

Now I gotta know...............Do you vape at work? :?:

Muke17

May 22, 2013
Greenville, sc
I'm a server at a privately owned restaurant. My boss is ok with us gettin drinks at the bar when we get off but he asked me to vape outside when we still have customers are still in the restaurant. They can vape but I can not. I really don't mind bc normal ignorant people think I'm smoking a cig and it just doesn't look good for the business. Honestly, I still enjoy going outside with the other smokers bc it's a "bonding" experience which is why most of us started smoking analogs any way. Hopefully people will get educated about vaping and it won't be frowned upon as bad as analogs.
I will say it annoys me to see people being cool with their mods on the table vaping like its going out of style. Don't get me wrong, I love vaping but I feel there is a time and place for it and I don't wont to be segregated like smokers are. People just see clouds of "smoke" and assume the worst. Lets keep it classy so we don't get put in the penalty box.

Pstarsr

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2013
Santa Barbara, California
I agree with some other posts here, it may be a battle not worth fighting. Just go outside, take 5-10min break and come back. It's not bad to take a short walk during your day if you sit alot.

If you want to push the subject, does your juice have nic content? If it didn't and it was purely for taste would they still object?

Sometimes I wonder if people are pushing the " it's not smoking " angle too hard. It's still a hard sell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Which doesn't work 50% of the time

StarDose

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Brampton
Personally I would just accept that they want you to go outside, whether its harmful to others or not isn't much of a reason to be able to vape inside at work. Besides that there isn't enough solid testing to.prove one way or another. Atleast no solid accepted study that has been done, there may be studies out there but they have not been recognized as a conclusive study on the side effects of vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread