sooting of silica wicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telegraph

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
TN, USA
I am making a coil for a phoenix rba clone using 2.5 mm silica wick and 32 ga kanthal wire. The rba, wick and wire were all bought and recommended by the vendor. They have a video of heating the wire and silica to burn off chemicals. i don't have a torch as they used in the video, but a do have a bic lighter which i used. The lighter turned the wire red hot as expected, but the burning discolored the wick, which I don't think is supposed to happen.
Should I not be using the bic lighter for this purpose? Is something wrong with the silica wick?
Any ideas appreciated. And yes this is my first rba and probably don't know what I'm doing. I did get it set up with a resistance of ~1.8 ohms, but it doesn't give much vapor at all.

Lex0r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2012
Los Angeles
As far as cleaning silica and/or wire: To clean new silica before applying wire, a torch is necessary. You don't have to torch it before use but some people do. A bic lighter simply wont produce enough heat for the silica to glow hot white like it needs to. However, you can use a lighter on your resistance wire prior to wrapping it around the silica. Just apply flame until the wire glows. Additionally, if your wick/coil has been in use and you want to clean it instead of building a new one, leave everything assembled (removed from the battery end) and rinse the wick under running water. Then reapply to your mod and do a dry burn until the wick is dry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread