Sore throat recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Hi everyone,

I recently started DTL vaping for about a week and a half. I was so happy I could finally taste my flavors.
Using the mesh coil in the horizon falcon, m2, and fireluke mesh pro triple coil at 60-75 watts. 70/30 vg/pg.
The past 5 days my throat has felt sore and dry. 3 days after I got the fireluke mesh pro in the mail. I tried not vaping for a day and it feels a little better. Could it be a reaction to PG ? At 60-75 watts should I be vaping higher vg liquids ? If so what is the highest vg ratio I can use in these tanks? I make my own ejuice, with 14-21 % flavoring.. Am I using too much flavor for high wattage vaping? I use 0 nicotine so nic is not the issue.

I've tried drinking more water. And I'm going to get my throat checked with the doctor in a couple hours.

Thanks for reading.

Tara

Reactions: stols001

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Could be any of the reasons you just listed, other than turning the wattage up more. That will only make things worse. You may have to go with a trial by elimination to see what it might be. Assuming your sore throat is unrelated to vaping. There are other causes of a sore throat like a viral infection that will just become more uncomfortable if you're vaping as well.

OhmzRaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I recently started DTL vaping for about a week and a half. I was so happy I could finally taste my flavors.
Using the mesh coil in the horizon falcon, m2, and fireluke mesh pro triple coil at 60-75 watts. 70/30 vg/pg.
The past 5 days my throat has felt sore and dry. 3 days after I got the fireluke mesh pro in the mail. I tried not vaping for a day and it feels a little better. Could it be a reaction to PG ? At 60-75 watts should I be vaping higher vg liquids ? If so what is the highest vg ratio I can use in these tanks? I make my own ejuice, with 14-21 % flavoring.. Am I using too much flavor for high wattage vaping? I use 0 nicotine so nic is not the issue.

I've tried drinking more water. And I'm going to get my throat checked with the doctor in a couple hours.

Thanks for reading.

Tara

Sometimes the concentrates used in a juice can cause this issue. I've had juices which had harsh concentrates and therefore, even at low nicotine strengths it used to hurt my throat. I would say list your recipe or concentrates you're using in the DIY sub forum and see what the members say about the concentrates.

OhmzRaw

ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2015
hi eskie, I am just curious, how much vg is ok to vape at high wattage to get good wicking still ? 0.15 ohm mesh coil at 60-75 watts (falcon and firemax mesh pro)?

is 85 - 90 pc vg ok ? Do most people use less then 15 percent flavorings at higher wattages? Just curious
I think 80VG 20PG should be fine. Modern day Sub-ohm tanks such as the Falcon can handle high VG juices. Personally, I use a max of 80VG because I like the tanks to wick fine without having any issues. I haven't tried higher VG ratios because I wouldn't want to have any potential issues.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
On those drop in mesh coils there should be no problems wick a usual 70 VG juice. If you don't chain vape even higher VG like a 90 VG. And even that is far from a hard and fast rule. Just prime and break your coil in well when you start a fresh coil

The amount of flavoring is totally subjective. Folks use commercial juices with high flavorings and sweeteners and vape them in DL all the time. If you are going for a high VG and mixing yourself your dilluent will be the PG in the flavorings, assuming you hit the more common PG based flavor stuff.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Could be any of the reasons you just listed, other than turning the wattage up more. That will only make things worse. You may have to go with a trial by elimination to see what it might be. Assuming your sore throat is unrelated to vaping. There are other causes of a sore throat like a viral infection that will just become more uncomfortable if you're vaping as well.

I went for a few days thinking I was vaping too much because I was coughing and had a sore throat - turned out it was the onset of tonsillitis. While the vaping probably didn't help, I was actually quite relieved it was something that wasn't caused by vaping as then I would have felt obliged to give up!

I'd say if you tried not vaping for a day and it felt better cut back on the vaping generally, or go back to mtl on a lower wattage for a bit but that's just what I'd do.

Pete M

Aug 5, 2018
Also had a thought after what Eskie said about commercial juices, maybe buy some of that to see if it's your home brew that's at fault. They're usually pretty consistent and maybeiif you're switching styles it might help with the process of elimination. .. I know from friend's experience with DIY liquids things can sometimes go wrong! :)

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Those triple mesh coils can be very harsh. Vaping at such high power is not bad but will take a little getting used to. Drink tea with lemon and lemonade, will ease the throat a little. Also is a good idea lowering watts. Those coils ask for high VG, so 80VG is a great idea.

Yeah the triple mesh coil asks for 80-100 watts. I do 70-75 watts with it.
The single mesh by horizen asks for 70-90 watts. I do 60-65 watts with it.

If i go any lower I wont get hardly any cloud so I think im trying my best to keep it in the low range :(

Got to wait 4 hours then go back to the doctor and wait. They are short staffed today , the wait could be up to 10 hours sometimes. I actually hope it is strep throat but it doesn't hurt much to swallow. It hurts more when i breath , the air touches my throat and it hurts. sigh. I haven't vaped in a day and it got a little better but still sore and raw. I really hope its just a virus =( I dont want to MTL vape , the flavor sucks.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You shouldn't have a problem raising your VG in that setup, I don't think. Some of it just may be wattage, honestly, it may be your throat adjusting to higher temperature vape. It may well go away if you do absolutely nothing other than upping your water intake, perhaps vaping that particular setup a little less, and if it were me, I'd be doing some gargling with salt water personally.

You mentioned a pretty high flavor percentage, you are counting those in your PG ratio? I hate to ask, but sometimes it's good to ask. Because most of your flavors are likely PG. So you may be vaping more PG than you think.

I guess you could lower your flavoring and see if that helps, but kind of going with easiest suspect first, I suspect it's your wattage, but that does not mean that lowering your PG may not help with that issue anyway, because it very well could. Etc.

Anna

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
On those drop in mesh coils there should be no problems wick a usual 70 VG juice. If you don't chain vape even higher VG like a 90 VG. And even that is far from a hard and fast rule. Just prime and break your coil in well when you start a fresh coil

The amount of flavoring is totally subjective. Folks use commercial juices with high flavorings and sweeteners and vape them in DL all the time. If you are going for a high VG and mixing yourself your dilluent will be the PG in the flavorings, assuming you hit the more common PG based flavor stuff.
Taste surely is suggestive I just received some coconut Ejuice and it taste like fish. It's nasty fish flavored E juice. Time for me to change vendors.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
It's not that mtl vaping sucks for flavor , it's just that the type you were particularly vaping sucked for flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I tried kayfun prime, berserker mini, nauti.ius mini , and doggystyle with clapton fused kanthal coils from 0.5 ohms to 1.3 ohms. They all had pityful flavor . I don't vapor nic. Im not wasting more money on mtl.

• Optimistic

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I tried kayfun prime, berserker mini, nauti.ius mini , and doggystyle with clapton fused kanthal coils from 0.5 ohms to 1.3 ohms. They all had pityful flavor . I don't vapor nic. Im not wasting more money on mtl.

I never vaped zero nic, so perhaps those crazy coils do better at that. If you actually prefer mtl but never got flavor from them, I would be happy to set one of your tanks up for you if you wanted to send a couple? I mean instead of them collecting dust? I'm very familiar with at least the prime and doggy and can definitely set them up for flavor....but if your happy with your new stuff, no problem....I'm not saying you set them up wrong, but perhaps you just got annoyed and perhaps didn't spend enough time on them....if I could get great flavor out of them, it would be nice for you to have them at least for back ups....and if you did find them better, I could also send a video along showing exactly how I did it...

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I never vaped zero nic, so perhaps those crazy coils do better at that. If you actually prefer mtl but never got flavor from them, I would be happy to set one of your tanks up for you if you wanted to send a couple? I mean instead of them collecting dust? I'm very familiar with at least the prime and doggy and can definitely set them up for flavor....but if your happy with your new stuff, no problem....I'm not saying you set them up wrong, but perhaps you just got annoyed and perhaps didn't spend enough time on them....if I could get great flavor out of them, it would be nice for you to have them at least for back ups....and if you did find them better, I could also send a video along showing exactly how I did it...

Well my funds are low atm ut if you can send a video that would be great!

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
turned out it was the onset of tonsillitis. While the vaping probably didn't help, I was actually quite relieved it was something that wasn't caused by vaping as then I would have felt obliged to give up!
Yes, better to give up those useless tonsils than give up vaping!;)

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I will pm you a little later to get some info

No rush, im not vaping much anywayz, til my throat gets better . Sore throat plus vaping equals pain. I hate this virus. Sore throat for over a week now. It finally feels a little better today. I quit vaping three days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread