Sore throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
VG and PG will dehydrate very fast. That's why you see "drink lots of water". Some people have reactions to PG. It can be an irritant for some people like me. If you are vaping high PG you might try cutting down on that and see if that makes a difference. It could also be the nic you are using. All nic is not equal. Some can leave a peppery taste/feeling in the back of your throat. Other nic can be very smooth. Also some flavorings can irritate your throat. You need to go through a process of elimination to find out what is giving you a sore throat. But most important is drink lots of water. :)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I have been vaping for about 2 weeks. Has anyone had a problem with getting sick or having a sore throat with vaping?

Yep.

I'm prone to allergies and sinus craziness and had mild sore throats pop up at times at first. Along with sneezing fits and some other goofy reactions. I didn't worry about it as long as it was mild. And after a while, it went away. You are changing your habits and quite drastically. Some reaction by your body is to be expected.

But watch it. If it's a bad sore throat or something else that's rather severe, you could be allergic to something in the liquids you're using. Some folks say they've reacted to PG or VG or something else (like a flavor) and have had to change their liquids around.

Of course, some symptoms are from quitting smoking. Including things like mild sore throats. As this list describes: Withdrawal symptoms. Though a lot of "quit" sites blame nicotine. Which is unjustified. With thousands (actually, for real, the numbers range from 3,000 to 10,000!) of chemicals in tobacco smoke, who knows which causes what exactly?

Anyway. One of the major ones is:

"Cold symptoms as the lungs begin to clear (sore throats, coughing, and other signs of colds and respiratory problem)"

Meaning, it could be a good sign. You know, all that crud being pushed out of your lungs as the cilia start working again (the little hair looking things that do the "conveyor belt" dance to send contaminants up out of your lungs for you to cough up).

Though, also, there is that you could actually have a cold. Or other bug. As in, it could be a coincidence.

Meaning, if it gets bad, get to a doctor (of course). If it's mild and "cold like", well, your body is making a big adjustment...

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I had the sore throat problem when I started because I was vaping like I used to smoke with a fast draw directly into my lungs. Once I switched to a slow draw into my mouth before inhaling into my lungs, my sore throat was gone. Oh yeah, and drinking more water.

Yeah, definitely that. I used to do a really deep draw as a smoker. Getting out of that habit and doing the slow, leisurely draw into the mouth and a more "laid back" exhale nasally was a bit of an adjustment.

Fortunately, the better "draw" in vaping is the one where you taste the flavors the best so there's incentive. :)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I agree with Mkbilbo... Make sure that there is not something going on with allergies. I had soar throats when I first started. I went to a mix with less PG and didn't have any more problems. It is different for everyone.

Yeah, and even non-vape allergies. I had a weird period of "drowsy" hit me a while back and wondered if it was connected to vaping. Thing is, the weird, overly rainy weather we've been having down here, the pollen counts have been off the freaking charts. And I have all kinds of allergies. And a tendency to sinus infections. Which can sometimes be rather mild and cause drowsiness, mild fever, dizziness, you name it. Nothing terrible enough to run to a doctor, just annoying as all get out.

So those few days a couple weeks ago... no idea what the heck caused it. It went away though. So... good?

In fact, I think on pollen heavy days, VG heavy liquids can make me sneeze. Not much but that first vape of the day, if the pollen is really high and the liquid is more VG than PG, I can sneeze my head off.

I think.

I dunno. Pinning down allergies is a pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread