• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

South Carolina House of Reps including e-cig in smoking ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Wasn't Doctor Vapor working on the political side of this issue a while back??? I haven't seen him in a while, perhaps he has some helpful hints and tidbits to share on what to (and what not to) say...and the best way for our voices to be heard.

Yoo hoo, calling out the Doctor, STAT!

Here is a link for those of you who may be unsure as to which House District you are in so you know which Rep to contact...it's a little confusing here in Sumter, thought it might be the same elsewhere! :)

https://webprod.cio.sc.gov/SCSECVoterWeb/voterInformationSearch.do

Last edited:
well for those of you in charleston, try to get ahold of yer rep, i believe it's still Bobby Harrold, he's a cousin of mine by marriage. He can be ignorant and a jerk, but he does have political power in the house and will listin, if u can get him to listin. good luck wid that, i caint even get him to return my emails, but maybe yall will have better luck than I, he prolly thinks i'm just a scammer or somethin.

Pokeygizmo

Perfectly Imperfect
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
South Carolina
Emailed my rep on 1/19/10. Got a canned reply stating that he would not be reading emails until season starts 1/11 -- WTH? So, apparently, 8 days after start of session, he's still not reading his emails?

And why am I not surprised?

Working on the snail-mail, but I guess it'll just be tossed into File 13. Still going to try, though, it's the right thing to do.

Gotta love the system, NOT!

JonesingJr

Feb 7, 2011
Bluffton, SC
Wrote my rep here in the Bluffton area the other day, Rep. Bill Herbkersman, and his response was as follows,

"Robert, thanks. If Skelton introduced it recently I don't think it will stand a chance of passing. I haven't even seen it yet but will be on the lookout.

Regards,
Bill"

Doesn't look like Skelton has a bunch of past legislative successes. Hopefully, this won't be one as well.

It was learned that when you send an email to the House Reps to include the word "Constituent" in the subject line.
They are looking at all of the emails that come in and when they are the same, they treat them like SPAM.

The most powerful tool that I have found is to call them and speak with them personally. This proved very positive in getting Reps Danning and Toole to remove themselves as Co-Sponsors.

CASAA's Call To Action ( CASAA.org )has the phone numbers of the House Reps who are on the Judiciary Committee where this House Bill is currently sitting.
When the bill makes it to the agenda, it would be very important if Vapers from South Carolina could be present to voice themselves and share their experiences.

Spoke with Rep Seth Whipper (Charleston) this morning and he had no clue what an e-cig was.
He was in Columbia at the time and was not sure where this Bill was in regards to the Agenda.
He said he would contact me when he was back in Charleston so we could meet face to face and I could show him what we are all about and why the e-cg needs to not be a part of this bill.
I reiterated that many of us want to be present in Columbia when the bill came up on the agenda. He said he would let me know.

Contact your SC State Representative folks. They are not used to getting pushback from anyone when it comes to smoking and it is opening their eyes some.

No new updates on this as of yesterday. The bill is still in the Judiciary Sub-Committee and where it stands on the Agenda is anybodies guess.
Linda Anderson (Sub-Committee Assistant) advises that they will notify those who put their names on the list a couple of days before the item goes on the Agenda. If you can attend, please contact her and ask to be added to the notification list.

Please contact your House Rep by phone and let them know where you stand with this bill. The Electronic Cigarette should not be included in this bill!
Coming from you, a constituent is going to have more of an impact on their decision making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread