SS wire. Where is the best place to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I screwed up and ordered a box of 6 different types and gauges of wire. Most are kanthal, some nickel and I think only one is SS. Id like to get another roll of SS wire in case I waste the one I have learning. Where would be best and are there different types of SS that I should be looking for? Thanks. And yes I did a search but couldn't find a specific answer

Reactions: stols001

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Can i practice with the kanthal and then use the ss for the real coils? If i did that i wouldnt have to order more wire and id have more money for more attys. ;)
    You sure can. However you'll find some differences with the same gauge of different types as some are more springy or stiffer than the others. You can google annealing.

I'll usually spin a length in my drill (and cut it into lengths that fit in those old school thin unicorn bottles) to straighten it before wrapping.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Can i practice with the kanthal and then use the ss for the real coils? If i did that i wouldnt have to order more wire and id have more money for more attys. ;)

Pretty much.
    You'll probably find Ni to be very springy (they may have fixed that since I got it).

Use my tip about wrapping on a slightly smaller arbor than you want the coil to be and sliding it on a arbor the size you want and springy shouldn't be a big issue (sliding it to a larger arbor might be:)).

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Kidney Puncher and Advanced Vapor Supply both carry high quality wire. Also premade coils that can be excellent.

I used up ALL the kanthal in my coilmaster's kit practicing how to make coils. You may find it easiest with SS to anneal the wire (heat it with something, a blowtorch, a gas stove etc.) that makes it less "springy" and easier to work with. You don't have to go nuts, but heating it a bit will cut down on that annoying springiness. I did find SS a bit harder to coil than kanthal, although I've gotten used to it the more I build rebuildables.

Best of luck, and by all means, use your kanthal for experiments, it's what I did. SS properties are slightly different so you may want to practice your "SS desired build" in terms of wraps, coil diameter and etc. I mean, calculate out how many wraps you will need on steam-engine.org, and then wrap the kanthal as IF it were SS you were using, so number of wraps, space or contact and etc. IDK, it's just a thought.

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    If you saw my attempts so far you'd understand why I'm looking for more wire. I probably don't NEED more but id like another roll just in case

Even in case of vapocolypse and everything being banned you can go to a store like Harbor Freight and get a wire welding spool that's rated the same (316L is 316L).
    But as it is you could get down to your last foot or so of wire before ordering and get it in time.
    You certainly don't need, but if you want I certainly have no problem with that, I have enough Kanthal ribbon to open a toaster repair shop.

Once you get using SS coils you'll find they can last a long time.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Practicing with Kanthal is ok but the same gauge wire in Kanthal will give you about twice the resistance with the same number of wraps as SS

I was about to say the same. That, and SS 316L and SS 304 can be used interchangeably in power mode or TC mode. Kanthal is power mode only between the two. Kanthal being twice the resistance/ft of SS316L, It's good for higher wrap coils. Some of the atomizers we use that have small chimneys don't have the room for 16 wraps of SS316L to get to 2 ohms, if that's where you want to be. SS316L will do 2 ohms in about 8 wraps on a 2.5mm mandrel.

Amazon apparently has quit carrying Temco SS316L wire. They have other brands, though.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 29, 2017
    San Francisco

gpjoe

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 30, 2013
    Up North
    I screwed up and ordered a box of 6 different types and gauges of wire. Most are kanthal, some nickel and I think only one is SS. Id like to get another roll of SS wire in case I waste the one I have learning. Where would be best and are there different types of SS that I should be looking for? Thanks. And yes I did a search but couldn't find a specific answer

Enough good wire vendor suggestions (I use Kbee and Lightning Vapes), so I am going to switch gears:

Curious what you are winding your coils with? If you are using a drill bit or other rod, there is a more steep leaning curve than when using a coil jig. If you are not using a coil jig, I would suggest getting a Kuro Koiler (ebay) or Coil Master coiling jig. You will save yourself a lot of wire and frustration.

The Coil Master jig is a bit more expensive but allows you to coil clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on the post configuration of your atomizer.

Every vaper who rebuilds should have one in their tool kit - IMO.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread