SS wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Hey there. I'm going for my monthly shopping tomorrow and I could use some advice on this specific wire. I'm shooting for about 0,3-0,6 ohms coils and I'd like to know what gauge should my ss be in order to get that result with 5-6 reps on an average screwdriver, ya know. I know there are good calculators out there but they need too much info im not sure i can give. Not quite used to all that. Also, at what temp do you think it would be best to vape it on? Btw, missed you ecf :) haven't posted in ages.

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
You actually need to set wattage to somewhere near what the coil would use in wattage mode. Depending on the mod, some will throttle the wattage if it is set too high and you end up with a lousy vape. Some mods will reach temp, cut power, turn power back on, cut power. This is not a good vape.

DNA seems to handle this better than most other chipsets without a lot of throttling. smoother control of the power level.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I thought wattage had no effect on my vape as long as I vape on tc and have set a specific temp?
You set wattage on tc mode for the initial fire. It’s basically a preheat. It’s pretty easy to dial in, just like wattage mode start low and work your way up. If you have exotic coils with a lot of mass your wattage will be higher than a simple round single wire build. I hope this helps and good luck to you.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, your wattage is what "starts" your wire heating. Without a starting wattage, there is no way for TC to get going and kind of "kick in" to TC mode, as your wire reaches your temperature setting and etc. Otherwise, you would be starting with a wattage of 0, meaning you'd never actually get to vape. Most people keep their ramp up wattage fairly similar to what they would use in wattage mode. I like SS for this reason, I can check out a build in wattage mode before deciding where to "go" as far as temperature mode and etc.

But it's a common misconception about TC, that it will "magically" float you to your set temperature... Some wattage needs to be applied to "start" the wire heating.

Anna

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Well, I have a kanger kbox160 and it appears it will set the wattage to its max(which is 160) automatically no matter what my set temp is. Also, it won't let me control the wattage at all. Anyone familiar with that? Is it safe?
Personally I wouldn't bother with tc on a kbox. It's not very good and you'll get frustrated. Tc definitely works differently on different mods. I have a Revenant, an R150 and a Charon that the tc works like it's suppose to. On the Revenant the wattage is not adjustable in tc but it works perfectly.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Does that apply to every coil? Im currently using a 0.83 ohms coil. What temp would be a reasonable choice?

You find the temp you like the same way you find the wattage you like for a coil. Start with a low temp and gradually work your way up until you find what you like. Some people like cool vape some like warm vape. Start out around 370F and move up until you like it best.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You find the temp you like the same way you find the wattage you like for a coil. Start with a low temp and gradually work your way up until you find what you like. Some people like cool vape some like warm vape. Start out around 370F and move up until you like it best.
Exactly. Also remember to lock the ohms on your coils when the coils are cold.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
You actually need to set wattage to somewhere near what the coil would use in wattage mode. Depending on the mod, some will throttle the wattage if it is set too high and you end up with a lousy vape. Some mods will reach temp, cut power, turn power back on, cut power. This is not a good vape.

DNA seems to handle this better than most other chipsets without a lot of throttling. smoother control of the power level.
...and some mods (Pico) will throw all 75 watts at your 28g microcoil and fry your cotton before you can say "that doesn't sound right," if you don't set the wattage limit first. I was/am using 28g SS .8 ohms in a MTL tank. Takes about 12 watts in wattage mode. I give it 14 in TC with temp set at 380, and it's perfect for me, but WHOO, that first time, ahtellyawhat...

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well, I have a kanger kbox160 and it appears it will set the wattage to its max(which is 160) automatically no matter what my set temp is. Also, it won't let me control the wattage at all. Anyone familiar with that? Is it safe?
I used to have the kbox160 but it was a while ago. I remember that you didn’t set wattage in tc mode but I believe it determined wat wattage depending on the temp you set. I remember that it did do a decent job of it. Problem was my kbox was a dud and quit working after e few months for no good reason. So I don’t think it’s maxing out the watts no matter what temp you choose it may just look that way. Also when you say it won’t let you control wattage at all you mean just while in tc mode. Otherwise you are just stuck in tc mode or it’s broke. It choosing the watts depending on the set temp. Just takes out one variable when vaping in temperature control mode. I didn’t mind it because for it to work properly you need to be in a certain wattage range anyway. The kbox just does that part for you.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread