SS wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Yes, your wattage is what "starts" your wire heating. Without a starting wattage, there is no way for TC to get going and kind of "kick in" to TC mode, as your wire reaches your temperature setting and etc. Otherwise, you would be starting with a wattage of 0, meaning you'd never actually get to vape. Most people keep their ramp up wattage fairly similar to what they would use in wattage mode. I like SS for this reason, I can check out a build in wattage mode before deciding where to "go" as far as temperature mode and etc.

But it's a common misconception about TC, that it will "magically" float you to your set temperature... Some wattage needs to be applied to "start" the wire heating.

Anna
Thanks for your time. Missed you Anna :D

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Does that apply to every coil? Im currently using a 0.83 ohms coil. What temp would be a reasonable choice?

You find the temp you like the same way you find the wattage you like for a coil. Start with a low temp and gradually work your way up until you find what you like. Some people like cool vape some like warm vape. Start out around 370F and move up until you like it best.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
You find the temp you like the same way you find the wattage you like for a coil. Start with a low temp and gradually work your way up until you find what you like. Some people like cool vape some like warm vape. Start out around 370F and move up until you like it best.
Exactly. Also remember to lock the ohms on your coils when the coils are cold.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Thanks a lot)

Reactions: stols001

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
You actually need to set wattage to somewhere near what the coil would use in wattage mode. Depending on the mod, some will throttle the wattage if it is set too high and you end up with a lousy vape. Some mods will reach temp, cut power, turn power back on, cut power. This is not a good vape.

DNA seems to handle this better than most other chipsets without a lot of throttling. smoother control of the power level.
...and some mods (Pico) will throw all 75 watts at your 28g microcoil and fry your cotton before you can say "that doesn't sound right," if you don't set the wattage limit first. I was/am using 28g SS .8 ohms in a MTL tank. Takes about 12 watts in wattage mode. I give it 14 in TC with temp set at 380, and it's perfect for me, but WHOO, that first time, ahtellyawhat...

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
...and some mods (Pico) will throw all 75 watts at your 28g microcoil and fry your cotton before you can say "that doesn't sound right," if you don't set the wattage limit first. I was/am using 28g SS .8 ohms in a MTL tank. Takes about 12 watts in wattage mode. I give it 14 in TC with temp set at 380, and it's perfect for me, but WHOO, that first time, ahtellyawhat...

Yes have had that happen with some mods, the Pico included. I use around. .5 ohm ss and set the wattage around 18W. Works great on DNA and hohmtech mods.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Hey there. I'm going for my monthly shopping tomorrow and I could use some advice on this specific wire. I'm shooting for about 0,3-0,6 ohms coils and I'd like to know what gauge should my ss be in order to get that result with 5-6 reps on an average screwdriver, ya know. I know there are good calculators out there but they need too much info im not sure i can give. Not quite used to all that. Also, at what temp do you think it would be best to vape it on? Btw, missed you ecf :) haven't posted in ages.

That's not enough info for someone to get the vape you want or what power capacity this coil would be for either, however yeah try 26 and 28 gauge in the calculator to see the possibilities, or just try it. I'm running #28 at .7Ω, with 8.5 wraps but on about 2.5 mm ID. Steam engine doesn't really care about anything but how long the wire is in terms of performance, so 5 wraps of #28 to .7Ω it can tell you the ID that would be, but not how the bigger wick would change anything. At any rate, I'm using about 16 watts at 400 deg., or 14.5 in power mode.

As to the temp setting in TC, juice etc. burns at a set temp so it's not really a matter of preference, except for fine tune, but it's also not that accurate so some compensation can be needed.

• Agree
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread