SS316 Fused Staged Clapton Build Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas002

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2018
Omaha NE
So I recently created my first staged fused clapton (coil pic). I have built many fused and single wire claptons before but this is the first staged attempt. I use Steam Engine Wire Wizard for all my builds but they don't seem to support a staged option so I had to estimate by using the staging wire as a core - any better ideas from anyone on how to use Steam Engine for staged builds? The coil uses 24gX2 SS316 parallel core with a Ni80 32 wrap and staged with a 22g Ni80 using 4 wraps and 3mm ID. I haven't vaped with it but did dry fire and it looks like the heating is a little uneven with the staging wire heating faster (and first) and it comes in at 0.1 ohms which is lower than I want - ideally it's 0.15 or higher so I can use Wattage or TC modes and have a little wiggle room. I know I can go to a higher gauge on the SS316 to up the resistance but then I lose surface area (bad) and mass (good) so trying to find a good balance. I typically like the ratio of surface area to mass to be about 2:1. I may not have any other option than going to a higher core gauge (smaller diameter) since I really want the TC option but nickel resistance is way too low and titanium isn't ideal for flavor production.

Btw, why can't I embed an image in the post using my Google Docs account? It shows as supported in the list of hosting options but still showed a broken image icon in my post preview so I just linked to the image instead.

Looking forward to all your feedback - thanks!

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Staged.PNG

That ^^

Cas002

ECF Veteran
    Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    I hadn't considered the the stage coil helps heat up the rest of the coil, duh I guess that why they call it "stage" - thanks @Don29palms! I have been mixing the SS316 with Ni80 and realize there will be less accuracy with TC - it works most of the time but occasionally does drop back to wattage mode until locking resistance again. With the Ni80 as a stage wire it might not work...will try soon.

@Wayneo that's perfect - thank you!

Cas002

ECF Veteran
    Feb 4, 2018
    Omaha NE
    That's great info - didn't know the TC precision needed to be that high and accurate. I just did a quick 10 min self-lesson on TC precision and tried to build an all-SS316 coil with at least an 800 value on Steam Engine. It appears to correlate directly to the resistance and it looks like for 800+ values you need to run 0.9+ ohms. I thought the TC coils could run at really low resistances? What am I missing here? Thanks @Wayneo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread