Status
Not open for further replies.

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
So, I previously attempted direct dripping and didn't find it to be the big deal that others had mentioned it to be, so after a few rough attempts I decided to stick with what I knew, filling carts and topping off.

Topping off is a fine method that produces a reasonably good result and it's easy to do. I still prefer this method when I'm "on the go" as it is easy to setup a few prefilled carts and just toss them in as needed throughout the day.

Now that I've spent a month or two trolling the ECF forum I'm more comfortable with experimentation and this time around it is with a much better understanding of my product. I discovered in my previous attempts at direct dripping I was adding too much to the 510 atty, I was watching a 901 tutorial on the subject and figured it was the same (big mistake), add to that the fact I was using a "weak" atty with a bad connection and of course my results were bound to be poor.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I grabbed a fresh atty that was "battle tested" and dripped 2 - 3 drops on my 510 atty and ..Wow.. just wow. The closest drag I have ever had to analogs to date and about 20% more vapor production. Oddly enough I also find that I am satisfied with my drags a lot sooner then I used to be and am able to actually put down my PV for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Add to that that there is also no "filler" flavor because there is no filler at all and it's just a cleaner hit. The bottom line for me is that experimentation without knowledge is probably more detrimental then no experimentation at all. I am glad to have a great resource like ECF to fall back on and readjust my knowledge from time to time.

Happy%20Camper

Happy Camper...get it?

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I rather enjoy both methods. I have to agree, the flavor difference from dripping does seem to be more prominent. The only trouble with dripping is the maintenance involved.

This past week I have been using a new brand of atty and the carts are working very well with them. My filler no longer gets pressed up into the cart whatsoever, and the wicking has been phenominal. Perhaps I found the right combination. I was able to use a factory filled cart, refilled it and topped it off without pulling it out for a rinse for 8 days. Today I decided to replace the filler entirely, mostly because the flavor wasn't coming through, likely due to too many flavors mixing up at the bottom of the poor cart :oops:

One thing that's absolutely for certain, there are quite a few combinations of atty's and carts when you lump them all together, perhaps its just a penstyle thing, I haven't really checked into the other atty styles. There are some combinations than work better than others.

Psyc

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I am the odd man out here. I can't tell any diffrence between dripping on a 510 or just using a well filled cart and topping off. It does seem that everbody on here get's a better hit by dripping but for some it does not apply to me.

I get plenty of vapor on a cart, but 5-10 hits in (straw mod as I haven't found ptb) you start getting that typical burning taste along with it. The vapor production doesn't drop unless you really hit it hard, but the constant topping off is annoying.

If it was not for my weird "take two hits every couple of minutes" habit, I'd definitely drip just to remove that bloody taste.

Zemrod

Sep 2, 2009
WI
I'm a newb and have also jumped on the drip method wagon. I've found it easier to put a drop or two on the atty versus filling the cartridge. Especially when switching flavors. At first I tried to maintain a dozen carts, each with their own flavor. It became a chore. Now I just plop a drop (or two) of whatever flavor. Great vape and no restricted air flow. Just my .5 cents.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
please tell, what exactly is the "proper method" of dripping. I've tried, with no luck. Whether I use 2 drops, or 4, it still acts like it's flooded. I am using a 901, and can't figure it out, still.

Try this -

Start by blowing out any excess liquid from the atty so you know where you are starting. Then, slowly drip. 1 drop at a time, right onto the bridge. Give about 4-5 seconds between drops. You should be able to see the bridge actually soak up the liquid. Try it with 4 drops (since it's completely dry). Vape on that until it tastes like it's out of liquid, then try it with 3 drops, using the same method.

I hope this helps.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
The gurgle is not necessarily a bad thing unless you have just too much liquid. I get the gurgle sound on my penstyle atty's all the time and plenty of vapor, that normally just means there's liquid in the atty. Obviously too much liquid means flood city.

Just curious, what juice are you using? How long does it take for the atty to start producing vapor? Also, do you have a brand new atty to try this on?

Porphy

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Lancaster, CA
www.AVEJuice.com
For a 510 I only use 2-3 drops max, but my 901 is much more forgiving and usually takes 4-5 drops. I'm not sure if this will be the same for you though.

I don't use my 901 hardly at all since it's an auto and I prefer the manual 510... it's just easier to get a consistent hit.

I'm not nearly the 901 aficionado some of our other forum junkies are. As for the gurgling you're on the right track with blowing it out, that usually fixes mine. Are you testing it before you put drops in to make sure it has stopped gurgling? Sometimes you have a lot of fluid in there you can't see. I've had a good 8 to 10 drops come out of an atty I thought was clear.

EDIT: I actually came here for an update and got sidetracked with that post lol. Another day direct dripping and I'm loving it. Feels more satisfying and I'm actually able to get away from the PV more now. I'm liking doing vapor rings and watching the vapor drift away in a light beam... some of my favorite things to do when I smoked.

Last edited:

annah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2009
Virginia Beach
No new atty to try it out on, so I don't know if the atty is the problem (too dirty?- I've never cleaned it other than blowing out, and almost 3 weeks of use).. But I'm still vaping on that original 4 drops( been what, 1/2 hour now?!), and it's just starting to clear out and give some vapor. I guess there was a whole lot of liquid in there that didn't blow out!

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I never tried to drip a 510. For some reason, I thought it was for used with the penstyle only. That being said. what is the best experience in your opinion. A smaller ecig (510, 901) or 801 and monster vapers? I reliaze this is a personal preference but would be anxious to hear your opinion.

I've dripped on the tiny 306 mini fogger atty's with no issues. It just takes 1 drop, maybe 2 if the atty's really dry. The larger the atty the more liquid it will hold before flooding.

No new atty to try it out on, so I don't know if the atty is the problem (too dirty?- I've never cleaned it other than blowing out, and almost 3 weeks of use).. But I'm still vaping on that original 4 drops( been what, 1/2 hour now?!), and it's just starting to clear out and give some vapor. I guess there was a whole lot of liquid in there that didn't blow out!

Yeah, sounds like it annah, now you're probably getting somewhere :) When you start to taste a flavor like the atty's getting dry, give it 3 more drops. Best of luck!

metapuff

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
san francisco

if your atty is flooded try drying the ends that come together. the space you can only get to when you unscrew the battery from the atty. when it's wet there it affects performance.

dripping is the way to go. i enjoy switching flavors whenever it runs out. mmmmm mmmm good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread