Starting my brother out on a mechanical + dripper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Well I've decided that I want to build a kit for my older brother who is a heavy smoker. He's also a stubborn guy so I want to get him something that will blow his socks off on the first try (so that there is no argument about which is better).

I don't think I want to get him a VV/VW device, not because of the cost, but because I don't think there is any atty or tank system that can deliver a good vape without being a hassle. The Vision Vivi Nova tank is one of the better systems I've tried - but they have inherent leaking problems. That would definitely be a big turn off for a first time user.

I was considering starting him on a cheap mechanical, with a dripper like the IGO-L. I would have to build his coils for him and all he would have to worry about is charging batteries and taking off the drip tip to load up the atty with liquid.

While dripping is an extra step in the process, I believe the trade off it worth it for a superior vape and superior taste.

Any thoughts on this route? Any reasons why this is a bad idea?

Thanks.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Well I've decided that I want to build a kit for my older brother who is a heavy smoker. He's also a stubborn guy so I want to get him something that will blow his socks off on the first try (so that there is no argument about which is better).

I don't think I want to get him a VV/VW device, not because of the cost, but because I don't think there is any atty or tank system that can deliver a good vape without being a hassle. The Vision Vivi Nova tank is one of the better systems I've tried - but they have inherent leaking problems. That would definitely be a big turn off for a first time user.

I was considering starting him on a cheap mechanical, with a dripper like the IGO-L. I would have to build his coils for him and all he would have to worry about is charging batteries and taking off the drip tip to load up the atty with liquid.

While dripping is an extra step in the process, I believe the trade off it worth it for a superior vape and superior taste.

Thanks.

I've heard complains about the vivi nova leaking a lot. I can only assume these reports come from the regular sized novas because I don't own any of those, but the mini vivi nova i have owned and use daily 7 of them, they have not ever leaked, not a single drop, ever.

Cyric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2012
Louisville, Ky
Any rebuildable is going to be a bit daunting for a new user.

I personally got off the stinkies when I was given/made to buy a Smokeless Image X2, which is basically a different threaded EGO. With some T3 bottom coils.
I still use these for my carry around everywhere vapes. I would have an MVP or an SVD with IClear 30's but money has been tight so Im waiting for my coops still.

The main challenge most people face I have found is finding a juice they like is more important than the device.
In my experience I have found that the heavy heavy smokers at first like the Tobacco like flavors such as Boba's bounty, or my favorite Pipe Dream extra Tobacco from Purevapes.com

Hopefully that helps you some.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've heard complains about the vivi nova leaking a lot. I can only assume these reports come from the regular sized novas because I don't own any of those, but the mini vivi nova i have owned and use daily 7 of them, they have not ever leaked, not a single drop, ever.

That's good to hear - but I would still bet that the taste does not compare to that of a rebuildable (although the tanks do have their uses).

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA

This was pretty much exactly the thought process I went through with my roommate.

She was blown away by my Chris Creations Novice ("it tastes like heaven in my mouth!"), so I got her one and built it up. I told her that when it needed to be rebuilt I'd do it for her, and that in the meantime all she needed to worry about was dripping more juice in the top when she ran out and changing out the battery. My battery charger is on our kitchen counter, and I showed her how to check battery voltage with the multimeter right next to it in case she was uncertain. Spirits and hopes were high!

Unfortunately, it hasn't gone well: "I think you need to take it apart and fix it again..." Every. Damned. Day. The problem is either a completely bone dry burnt wick (I can't even imagine what it must have tasted like towards the end, ugh) or a dead battery. Every. Damned. Time. Rewicking scorched silica constantly and seeing the battery abuse is killing me, so next time I go to the vape store I'm picking up a Vivi Nova setup (surely with a tank it will be obvious when it's empty, right?!), sticking it on the MVP, and sacrificing a goat.

You may have better luck with your brother. :facepalm:

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA
And with a mechanical and a dripper, there are no external indicators to clue you in if you're a noob. Now I can tell by feel/taste that my vape is weak because I'm < 3.7 volts, or that it tastes like crap because my wire isn't contacting my wick, or seems a bit "toasty" because it's time to redrip, etc., but that certainly wasn't the case when I first started vaping.

Having a tank to see your juice in, mods that will read your voltage, etc. can help someone who is new to vaping distinguish everyday non-issues like a dead battery or lack of juice from actual problems.

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I see your points and I can understand how a novice would not understand the same things as a person who has been vaping for 5 years....

I just got a huge shipment from fasttech today, and I ordered the x6 on a whim (basically the same as the vivi nova, but it hasn't leaked so far and looks better). I have that on the old Provari and it looks nice. I might just let him "borrow" that setup for now.

It's safe and looks pretty high-tech (perhaps he would treat is better and use it often), the only downside is that it is large and looks "boner-iffic" in your pocket when you're wearing slacks to work.

The third option is I give him one of my cheap mechanical mods with the x6.

The fourth option is that I am completely wrong and he would much rather have a poor performing cig look-a-like. Who knows.

bikini_kill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK USA
Provari + tank seems like it would be a great place to start since it's an easy-to-use mod with safety features that puts out a great quality vape.

I bet that after a week or two on that, he'll be able to tell you what he likes about it and what he wishes could be different or misses particularly from the cigarette experience. Then you can use your experience with different types of mods to guide him down the best path for him, and hopefully he will be very appreciative. :)

goonie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
You're brother is lucky to have you looking out for him. Your list of options doesn't include a pair of twists/spinners with clearomizers on top. Is there some reason you're avoiding that option?

I guess it's because I'm weary of the hassle involved. I can rebuild the Vivi Nova style heads and recharge 1 battery in charger that will last all day. I remember from my 510 days that those batteries don't hold a charge too well and their capacity is small enough that it will require charging during the day.

Leoleoleo

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
Montreal
Am I right in saying then, that you're not very familiar with eGo style batteries or am I reading you wrong? A 510 battery will be up to something like 180 mAh which is loosely reckoned to translate into 1.8 hours of vape time. An ego type battery can go up to around 1300 mAH (13 hours). In practice, I can get a day's use from one 650 mAh battery and have never been in a situation where my two 650s did not see me through.

Superhands

Apr 20, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I gotta wonder, why not go the uber-simple route? For a new user, I can't imagine anything easier than a regular eGo battery and an MT3. I say the MT3 because they're low-priced, both the unit and the replacement coils, hold a good amount of liquid, and are nearly foolproof to refill. The coils are also dead simple to replace.

My setup is a 1000mah eGo C-twist and an MT3, and I just can't see it ever getting any easier than that. I concur that the eGo's performance is likely nowhere near as good as the provari, but for a novice, I'm sure it would do just fine. Plus, it isn't "boner-rific" when wearing slacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread