Not open for further replies.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
Well, if I can get a decent quality mechanical for under $100, and a decent quality genny for under $50, I don't see why I should pay ANY more than $150 for something that's not top-of-the-line, but still works really well.

Did you look at. The Afpv co-op thread? They're $130 I think

BmoreJeff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Silver and copper are actually better conducters than gold. The reason gold plating is used in high quality projects is because it does not oxidize and will not interfere with other semi conductors that might be present.

For our purposes ... silver and copper are actually better.

Having said that, you are still going to be bound by the materials in your atomizer. You could have an all-silver mechanical mod and still experience voltage drops because your atomizer is made of less conductive material.

You are totally right TC, I should have know that being an electrician. we are taught that gold is the best for being exposed to elements so i guess that stuck in the back of my mind. i dont really think copper is used much in mods as it oxidizes quickly compared to brass and silver but i may be wrong about that as well. Plus you dont want copper coming in contact with juice and when copper heats to a certain point it releases chemicals, or so i heard. I guess silver is the way to go in terms of a mod

BmoreJeff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I think you can add SuperT Precise+, and soon the ELA tele... with Rhodium contact materials... the tele function is super smooth. USA made, quality and customer service and warranty is the best; good price and coming out in few weeks... they have pre order now... or did i already say that... i'm psyched.

Yeah i heard good things about Super-T. a lot of good things said about the precise. i saw one review on the ela and it looks really nice, great prices for quality usa build. im thinking about adding one of their mods to the collection. I also like the EA (electric angel) telescope mod. its a company out of finland. it looks like a nice setup for a decent price similar to most telescoping mods with the exception of the GGTS due to the fact it has the collector tank on it which allows for full air control with GG products with a native connection. GG with juice control and air control, what else could you need?

BmoreJeff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Baltimore, MD
A) I don't really know how the co-ops work and B) I would rather do my research, then just BUY something, not sign up and wait until it's ready.

I'll check it out though...

i would do your research first, find something that fits your need in terms of size and battery life, then check the classys and see what they are going for used if you want to save a few bucks. even the more expensive mech mods used can perform better than mid ranged new. the worst you would have to do is buy a few insulator bushings, maybe a brass pin or two and your set. as for a genny, aga makes very affordable ones that have seen some nice improvements. I bought an aga-s last year when i started experimenting with gennys and it was really nice for a $20 genny. the air hole lined up perfectly, draw was good, and everything was stainless steel. i tested this by soaking in water for a few days then dumped contents on the counter top to air dry. if its not stainless you will see some rust and i saw none. im sure there are many out there that are better but that got my feet wet with gennys and now i have quite a few high end ones that range from 50-120 usd.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
i would do your research first, find something that fits your need in terms of size and battery life, then check the classys and see what they are going for used if you want to save a few bucks. even the more expensive mech mods used can perform better than mid ranged new. the worst you would have to do is buy a few insulator bushings, maybe a brass pin or two and your set. as for a genny, aga makes very affordable ones that have seen some nice improvements. I bought an aga-s last year when i started experimenting with gennys and it was really nice for a $20 genny. the air hole lined up perfectly, draw was good, and everything was stainless steel. i tested this by soaking in water for a few days then dumped contents on the counter top to air dry. if its not stainless you will see some rust and i saw none. im sure there are many out there that are better but that got my feet wet with gennys and now i have quite a few high end ones that range from 50-120 usd.

I have an AGA-T (not the +, I like the threaded cap) and that's really what I was referring to when I said there were readily available, good quality gennys for less than $50. I'm also very happy with my slightly modified Natural mod, for a whopping $50. This is why I don't see how people can spend $300+ on a hybrid, but hey, some people have too much money I suppose. I don't.

I wish there were someplace I could sort through different hybrid designs (with specs and prices) and find something that looks as if it might suit me. Thus far, I have not found such a place :-(

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
The 10 million dollar question...what do you consider reasonable?

If you're handy with tools, you could make a Aga T2/Smok Natural hybrid, a guy here in Norway did just that, pretty cool!:

8584308930_ed0ceeb3de.jpg

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
A) I don't really know how the co-ops work and B) I would rather do my research, then just BUY something, not sign up and wait until it's ready.

I'll check it out though...

There's really not any mystery in the coop. Pictures, videos and details every step of the way.

As for $150 hybrid at retail, it'll get there. There aren't any $50 genny's outside of China stuff. Aside from the Legacy, I can't think of a non-china mech under $100.

It's all subjective, some people consider the natural cheap china crap and some people consider the more the expensive stuff overpriced and not worth it. Whatever your price range is, a hybrid will be there soon enough.

If you're handy with tools, you could make a Aga T2/Smok Natural hybrid, a guy here in Norway did just that, pretty cool!:

8584308930_ed0ceeb3de.jpg

Well, technically, I can make a hybrid out of any 22mm tube mod with same threading as a paps, vela, gus etc...I have a genny that will screw directly into the tube.

My question was more, what do people consider a reasonable price for a quality hybrid...not making one yourself.

Not that the above isn't cool.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I just got this one...not really impressed....kinda cheep and button sucks. Im looking for a highend device that you can get without waiting 6 months.

Gus Telescopes, Dingos and EA's are available. Legacy's are an always available quality device.

Those are quality high end devices.

Blix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2013
Stabekk, Norway
Well, technically, I can make a hybrid out of any 22mm tube mod with same threading as a paps, vela, gus etc...I have a genny that will screw directly into the tube.

My question was more, what do people consider a reasonable price for a quality hybrid...not making one yourself.

Not that the above isn't cool.

It seems most hybrids are at $200-ish and up, the only one I know at a fairly low price point is the moon G1, at $105. But it's not mechanical due to it's switch.(But the switch can take up to 25A, so it's well built stuff)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
If you figure, a high end Gen RBA is around 100 to 150 ... add a high end mechanical around 150 to 200++ (for multi sleeves or some tele's)... i guess thats why they are around 225 to 260 ....(iHyb has multi sleeves, juggernaut, etc)

I'm in for the AFVP (130, multi sleeves too) co-op.

A Precise + is closer to 200 than not... and the ELA tele is 190...

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
I PM'd the person who started the AFPV co-op as to how exactly it works and what all I need to do to be included, to no avail.

Sounds like a neat deal (as long as I don't have to wait 3 months to get it) but no one seems to be very helpful in telling me EXACTLY how it works.

If you figure, a high end Gen RBA is around 100 to 150 ... add a high end mechanical around 150 to 200++ (for multi sleeves or some tele's)... i guess thats why they are around 225 to 260 ....(iHyb has multi sleeves, juggernaut, etc)

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

Hey Uke, I don't have access to the classies... Any pics of this AFPV or a link to the manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread